Things That Are Not The Same

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Beer's a good example.

Going back only 40 years and the choice would be quite limited Mild/Bitter

30 years ago, Pilsners

20 years ago Wheat beers

10 years ago, Abbey beers, saison's, IPA's, Strong dark mild's,

Now we've got all sorts, Sours, steam, Rye, American IPAs (horrible stuff IMO), even seen recently Dogfish have made a mild stout that Nitro'd in the bottle.

The holy choices of beer. :blink: Crikey, once there was only the choice between Double Diamond, and Carlsberg.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Don't forget Party 7. If you turned up with one of those, you were quite the toast of the town!

I remember a Geordie mate took one of those to a party. He drank it all.

HOLA446
HOLA447

That's very interesting, start a model railway thread and let's have a pic.

I'd post some pics of mine but my interests are so esoteric I could actually be personally identified by my model railway. I reckon I'm probably the only person in the World modeling this prototype/scale combination.

So I'll have to think about that.

HOLA448

Strawberries, depending upon which country you're in.

Strawberries in the UK (if eaten sometime close to their normal season) are pretty decent -- good size, pretty sweet, nice flavour. You get much better strawberries, however, in France where they have an amazing strawberry flavour. You eat one and you realize why strawberry is a popular flavour in sweets. On the other hand, it is absolutely impossible to find decent strawberries in the US. The ones in the grocery store are enormous but taste of nothing but water. They are entirely pointless except for a visual effect. Even in farmers markets, though, the very best strawberries are a pale imitation of what you would find in a Tesco in the UK, and have no relation at all to what is sold as a strawberry in France. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to plant a French-type strawberry in the United States and sell them at $20 a pound, which some people really would be willing to pay, but it doesn't happen.

Ski strawberry yogurt is nothing like it used to be. In fact yogurt in generally seems fairly ghastly to me now.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Tools, there's a lot of differentiation there.

Although with all the brands going down the low cost manufacturing route and some 'own brand' being good quality it's incredibly difficult to separate cheap tat/good value/expensive tat/expensive quality

I know where you're coming from. After using a new handsaw or a Stanley blade a couple of times, you could give them to a self harmer or a child,safe in the knowledge they'll do no damage to themselves.

HOLA4411

I know where you're coming from. After using a new handsaw or a Stanley blade a couple of times, you could give them to a self harmer or a child,safe in the knowledge they'll do no damage to themselves.

You have obviously been buying your quality tools from Mr SNACR. :o

I reckon his real name is Argos, or Wilkinson.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Metal-Knife-Blades-10504241/dp/B0006JJRPY

These are the best Stanley knife blades that I use. Don't sell them myself as Joe Public wouldn't pay the price for their DIY tinkering. Have never found the UK made in Sheffield markedly better than the cheap imports though.

Guaranteed to slice the average DIY'ers thumb off more cleanly than other brands.

HOLA4414

These are the best Stanley knife blades that I use. Don't sell them myself as Joe Public wouldn't pay the price for their DIY tinkering. Have never found the UK made in Sheffield markedly better than the cheap imports though.

Only £3.69 at Toolstation. So screw you amazon.

HOLA4415

You should go upmarket. :blink: Do you really run a chain of tat shops?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I feel I must make a mention of Heraclitus on this thread, perhaps one of the first recorded pre-Socratics. The "weeping philosopher" who posited that "you cannot step into the same river twice". It is perhaps one of the most insightful points ever to have been made about 'change' and the world.

Eh? I've been in the Tees loads of times. What an idiot!

HOLA4419

The technology hasn't improved that much, but people have increased their IT ability and have caught up by and large. Now you get grannny playing with her tablet and Skyping the grandkids. Actually it seems a bit depressing today, everybody living life through devices, I escape by watching pre- technology stuff on ITV3 like Morse or going a walk away from the Madding crowd.

It's probably a form of snobbery: I'm always excited by new ideas and technologies, but quickly reject it once it becomes "mainstream".

For years I aimed to have the latest phone, but now that smartphones have reached a "critical mass" I am proud to own an out-of-contract four-year-old Sony Ericsson. I joined Facebook when the site was still in its spring months, but deleted my account when I started receiving friends request after friends request from vacuous people with whom I had no desire to reacquaint myself. I find the trendy people are those with a retro car, a six-year-old Nokia mobile and no social media presence.

A magazine I subscribed to recently offered me an upgrade to the digital version for a few quid more a month. I declined, opting to stick with the print version. I felt pretty good about the world.

HOLA4420

And to think there was a brief period when Northumbria (extending from Edinburgh to York) was at the heart of western European culture and scholarship in 7th-8th century. Alcuin, Bede and Cuthbert - your guys took one hell of a beating. :rolleyes:

Sadly I'm far too stupid to comprehend the insinuation.

HOLA4421

A magazine I subscribed to recently offered me an upgrade to the digital version for a few quid more a month. I declined, opting to stick with the print version. I felt pretty good about the world.

I always assumed the digital versions were cheaper as no print / distribution costs.

I'd never subscribe to the digital version of anything. The main reason I buy a newspaper or the odd copy of Practical Classics is so that I can sit and read something that isn't on a screen.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

New flats and houses are largely the same.

The locations are not the same of course but with new homes and houses being everywhere so similar even the locations tend towards becoming the same.

The Acacia Avenue syndrome? That kind of observation goes back a fair way. Tony Hancock springs to mind.

The Internet has changed a lot since 1927.

Not quite the same as when I first went online in 1983, either.

I feel I must make a mention of Heraclitus on this thread, perhaps one of the first recorded pre-Socratics. The "weeping philosopher" who posited that "you cannot step into the same river twice". It is perhaps one of the most insightful points ever to have been made about 'change' and the world.

As Mrs Ogg once remarked, we've all passed a lot of water since then.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Mobile phones are not the same.......to use the newer types means have to disable wifi, location and bluetooth to use it the most effecient way possible....I want a phone to be a phone not a tracker or website. ;)

Actually I just switch mine off entirely. The battery lasts longer.

Archived