House Price Crash Forum

Nome In Liverpool, For A £1!

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-34474378

Thousands apply to buy Liverpool homes for just £1

Thousands of people have applied to buy homes for £1 in Liverpool.

In total, 2,750 people have expressed an interest in buying empty terraced properties in the Picton area.

The scheme, which was started by Mayor Joe Anderson in 2013, aims to regenerate deprived parts of the city and help the economy.

In the successful first tranche, 20 homes were sold around Granby Four Streets and Arnside Road.

Tony Mousdale, empty homes manager of Liverpool City Council, told the BBC: "All the plumbing and the electrics and fixtures and fittings have been ripped out - so it is pretty much a shell.

"It's a blank canvas and people can put their own stamp on it."

Article continues..

HOLA442

To be eligible for the £1 homes, applicants must have lived or worked in Liverpool, be employed and be first-time buyers.

Those with children and a good credit history also have priority and must "demonstrate they have the resources to undertake the cost of the refurbishment work".

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

No is it that bad? Is it the Detroit of the UK?

Not quite. Middlesbrough and Stoke are worse.

These sort of towns are just the end game where you have an unlimited time to claim benefit system that rewards people for how dysfunctional they are.

A bit of the qualifying criteria nods to that - only giving them to people in employment.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

To be eligible for the £1 homes, applicants must have lived or worked in Liverpool, be employed and be first-time buyers.

Those with children and a good credit history also have priority and must "demonstrate they have the resources to undertake the cost of the refurbishment work".

I think questions might be asked if you moved the kiddiwinks into a bare shell with no power etc. But then if you were trying to refurb while living elsewhere, you'd soon get sick of turning up every morning to find your previous day's handiwork stolen. Not to mention not being able to leave tools or indeed anything of value on site overnight.

HOLA449

I think questions might be asked if you moved the kiddiwinks into a bare shell with no power etc. But then if you were trying to refurb while living elsewhere, you'd soon get sick of turning up every morning to find your previous day's handiwork stolen. Not to mention not being able to leave tools or indeed anything of value on site overnight.

Yep. Good luck with installing any copper pipes.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Not in the slightest. It has rough areas but not overly dangerous. It is in my top 5 cities in the UK for being worth a visit as a tourist.

Agreed. Birmingham is at least as ugly and more dangerous. In my top 5 cities for not being worth a visit under any circumstances unless you want to gawp at the huge urinal thing Osborne has had installed over New Street station.

HOLA4412

The joke is they've been left empty for years.

More pics:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/take-look-inside-one-homes-10223264

eight - those risks seem better, for some, than £250,000 starter homes, and jumbo mortgages.

It's also in the 'sound area' - although wouldn't be my first choice if I had to live in the 'sound' part of Liverpool.

Ross Barkley I'm told grew up on Picton Road. “We used to play over at Picton Park in Wavertree. I grew up around there. If I have a day off on a Sunday I sometimes go and watch.” You've got the Picton clock. (Sir James Picton - local architect back in the day - memorial to his wife, Sarah Pooley, 50 years married)

We see the clock tower with its four cast iron lamps surrounding the tower. A famous landmark and well known in South Liverpool as a directional point. Before the days when everyone had watches or radio sets, the villagers of Wavertree would tell their children to 'go and see what the time is by Sarah Pooley'. - The inscription facing Church Road North reads 'Time wasted is existence; used is life'. It is difficult to think of a more fitting epitaph for Sir James Picton himself, who packed so much activity into his 83 years.
Edited by Venger

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I hereby post a Daily Mail link!

Purged homes bought for £70k to be sold for £1.

Homes in the Granby Triangle were part of former Deputy Prime Minister Prescott's plan, launched in 2003. to raze thousands of homes across the country.

An estimated £2.2billion was blown on buying and demolishing homes - but far fewer new homes were built for the displaced occupants and others on waiting lists

Pathfinder was the very worst of New Labour, emperor's clothes housing policy. Clear an area of poor people. Knock down and rebuild, sell for 3 times the amount. Of course, it didn't work, they ran our of other people's money and left whole areas and communities decimated.

Could have refurbished but that wasn't cool enough; nor did it allow favoured friends to make some easy money.

IIRC this was in Pathfinder research of the time... but I think costs/problem may be over-exaggerated.

No foundations
There is often evidence of settlement as deep as two or three brick courses into earth. Much of the city is built on old clay pits that were infilled in the 19th century. This contributes to settlement problems.
Cost to upgrade to new home standard
£70,000 plus VAT and fees

No firebreaks between homes
New firebreaks are need, as is insulation on the underside of the roof.
Upgrading cost Up to £10,000

No cavity walls
The houses have SAP energy-efficiency ratings of less than 50 out of 100; new-build homes score more than 80. This leads to penetrating damp and decaying bricks.
Upgrading cost Internal drylining would cost up to £7000; alternatively, an external insulated render system would cost between £5000 and £10,000

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

No is it that bad? Is it the Detroit of the UK?

Depends what part of Liverpool you are talking about. Where I mostly grew up, a council estate in Litherland, North Liverpool, it is now awful. Virtually feral kids doing whatever they want in the streets and a war will start if anyone tries to discipline them. Used to be safe when I lived there.

Des res places like Woolton have des res house prices, as you'd expect. If you need to live somewhere inexpensive, the (mainly) all white poor areas are to be avoided. Kensington and Everton are the pits. Best low cost places are a mixture of races plus students.

Toxteth, where I live, is now pretty cool. Walking distance to 2 nice parks, the council makes an effort with the festivals and firework displays. Can get an overpriced flat here for about £90k. Similar flat from a housing association is about £90 a week.

HOLA4417

Liverpool is probably the smartest of England's city centres after London, definitely better than Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham. Great Victorian buildings and plenty of regeneration, even the train journey in is devoid of graffiti as the locals are fenced off behind huge cages.. From the inner bowl around the Mersey you have no sight of the outer suburbs. I gather it goes down hill very quickly.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Can't help feeling it would be better to charge, say, a grand for each, and in return provide security and perhaps some rudimentary assistance with the refurb.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Liverpool is probably the smartest of England's city centres after London, definitely better than Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham. Great Victorian buildings and plenty of regeneration, even the train journey in is devoid of graffiti as the locals are fenced off behind huge cages.. From the inner bowl around the Mersey you have no sight of the outer suburbs. I gather it goes down hill very quickly.

Smart not just in looks, the people tend to be quick witted. Lots of scouse comedians got famous and then moved out. 5 years on they were no longer funny.

A lot of the wood carvings on the city pubs were done by skint sailors needing another drink. If visiting, check out the urinals in the Philharmonic Hotel. Grade 1 listed.

This is the 2nd batch of one quid homes. A nice story from batch 1 was a woman that wanted the house she grew up in. Hubby is a builder. Didn't see any follow up story as to whether they got it or not.

HOLA4422

It has been said that Liverpool is the capital of Ireland. :)

It's a strange place, sort of a Marmite city. I've known people from Scotland to Germany that come visit and decide to stay. Others that spend a few days and can't wait be somewhere else. During the 80s recession, I met a Spanish lad that came here looking for work. Hardly any English. In less than 2 weeks he had a job.

When the Grand National got closed due to a bomb scare, many people couldn't get to their cars or coaches. The people of Aintree opened their doors and welcomed stranded families.

HOLA4423

Liverpool is defiantly won of the more interesting cities in the UK, would definitely like to visit again and find out more about its pretty 1970s history. That said the place is defiantly on a downward trajectory, im sure you see the extreme juxtaposition very low end businesses (ie pay day lenders) set up in formally very grand buildings.

Edited by reddog