House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

New Lottery Format - Ticket Sales Start Today - "extra Numbers To Choose From !"

Odds of winning the jackpot are going up from one in 14 million to one in 45 million, although you are more likely to win £1 million with the raffle thing. You get a free go if you get two numbers.

Kind of tongue in cheek to market it as "NEW - Extra numbers to choose from" though...

Anyone bother to play these days?

No. I occasionally bought a lottery ticket and won a tenner twice.

They make more money when there are bigger jackpots as more people buy tickets when the main prize is bigger. This new system means that we should see bigger jackpots as the wins become less frequent.

I suspect there are many who only play now because they have their six 'lucky' numbers from the beginning and are scared to change or stop in case the numbers come up the following week. This change will provide the perfect time to STOP playing especially as the odds of winning the top prize are so remote now.

Very true, but someone who has six 'lucky' numbers (despite years of evidence to the contrary :D ) probably isn't wise enough to draw that conclusion themselves.

They make more money when there are bigger jackpots as more people buy tickets when the main prize is bigger. This new system means that we should see bigger jackpots as the wins become less frequent.

The large jackpots draw out those who normally don't bother but presumably think "might as well." People don't seem to grasp how slim one in 14 million is but they might with "you're three times less likely to win it now than before."

Any idea how much going up to £2 cost sales (and whether it was more or less than half)?

The large jackpots draw out those who normally don't bother but presumably think "might as well." People don't seem to grasp how slim one in 14 million is but they might with "you're three times less likely to win it now than before."

Any idea how much going up to £2 cost sales (and whether it was more or less than half)?

Don't have time to find the full details....

In the year ending 31 March 2015, National Lottery ticket sales were a record £7,277 million, an increase of £546 million on the corresponding period last year and the highest annual sales since The National Lottery launched in 1994

But having said that of course it talks about sales in value not units. So if there was an effect then it's been more than covered in the increase in price.

Had a look at this yesterday - 6 numbers from 59!! The 5 matching plus bonus 'win' is now a set amount of £50,000 rather than the normal hundreds of thousands, so hardly life-changing.

Lottery is owned by a Canadian Pensions Company now.

Might be a good time to stop. The odds being so long.

I regard the lottery basically as a stupidity tax, so no I don't do it.

I realize it's not something that's gonna ruin you like the kind of gambling that you can do in a bookies if it gets outta hand, but I still think of it in the same category.

You could use a years worth of lottery losses on buying a few interesting books or something. Anything but the bloody lottery.

Guest eight

I regard the lottery basically as a stupidity tax, so no I don't do it.

I realize it's not something that's gonna ruin you like the kind of gambling that you can do in a bookies if it gets outta hand, but I still think of it in the same category.

You could use a years worth of lottery losses on buying a few interesting books or something. Anything but the bloody lottery.

I've never personally bought a ticket/scratchcard in my life so felt quite vindicated when some acquaintances of ours got five numbers and the bonus ball up a few years back - they rang round all their friends (us not included) on the Saturday night explaining how they were rich now and "Don't worry, we'll see you right" sort of thing.

I think the prize was about three and a half grand.

Another time I got suckered into putting a pound in at work, probably a mega rollover or something. We put six lines lucky dip on, and only one number was duplicated across lines, so we had 35 of the 49 numbers - come the draw, didn't get one number up. There should be a prize for that.

Had a look at this yesterday - 6 numbers from 59!! The 5 matching plus bonus 'win' is now a set amount of £50,000 rather than the normal hundreds of thousands, so hardly life-changing.

Lottery is owned by a Canadian Pensions Company now.

Might be a good time to stop. The odds being so long.

Every cloud has a silver lining...... <_<

I would assume that there is legislation stipulating the proportion of bets that must be paid back out in prizes, and so, unless the regulations have changed, the overall odds will be the same as before.

What may have changed is the distribution of the likelhoods of particular prizes coming up.

It's a mugs game either way.

When discussing Euromillions jackpot once I was told to imagine Wembley Stadium with three decks of cards on each seat - you have one shot to pick the one marked card...

This is possibly enough to put me off playing the National Lottery (six months in) for good. I set-up an automatic direct debit for both drawers (lucky dip) and it costs £16-18 a month.

Using an on-line calculator tells me that would be enough to purchase £300,000 of life cover taken out in the wife's name and let's be honest the odds of that payout are far greater. Not exactly winning but you see what I mean. :wacko:

I've never personally bought a ticket/scratchcard in my life so felt quite vindicated when some acquaintances of ours got five numbers and the bonus ball up a few years back - they rang round all their friends (us not included) on the Saturday night explaining how they were rich now and "Don't worry, we'll see you right" sort of thing.

I think the prize was about three and a half grand.

:D

Brilliant - they'll never hear the end of it will they!

This is possibly enough to put me off playing the National Lottery (six months in) for good. I set-up an automatic direct debit for both drawers (lucky dip) and it costs £16-18 a month.

Using an on-line calculator tells me that would be enough to purchase £300,000 of life cover taken out in the wife's name and let's be honest the odds of that payout are far greater. Not exactly winning but you see what I mean. :wacko:

If you could scratch up enough for a canoe that might be the beginning of a strategy......

There are going to be some big US style jackpots with this format I reckon - will go weeks without people winning and the larger and larger jackpots will get more people buying and hence more profit for that Canadian teachers' pension fund.

When discussing Euromillions jackpot once I was told to imagine Wembley Stadium with three decks of cards on each seat - you have one shot to pick the one marked card...

I don't think odds come into it for the majority of players. I think it might be a divine intervention thing - <choose deity> wants you to be fabulously wealthy, but there are few avenues available these days - crikey, even throwing money at people via Nigerian princes doesn't work these days. But if you play the lottery then there is a nice easy way for the deity to get the wealth to you without arousing suspicion in all those nasty apostates.

I'm not entirely sure that this fits in with the thoughts of most theological scholars, but then most people's beliefs don't either, so I'll stick with it.

I read that the odds on winning worked out that if you used the same numbers each week you would probably win the jackpot once every 8,000 years. So that's now gone up to 24,000 years? Oh well, only 23,979 or so years to go.

I know of a couple of jackpot winners who won a million a piece and then bought million quid houses in Swansea. Both have been trying to sell for a few years now once they realised that the only mugs who would pay such asking prices are chumps who win the lotto.

A friend won the top Euromillions a few months back - apparently he had the top prize but it was only about 4 thousand. Unlucky for him his final number was one away from the one drawn and that would have meant something like over 12 million.

I know of a couple of jackpot winners who won a million a piece and then bought million quid houses in Swansea. Both have been trying to sell for a few years now once they realised that the only mugs who would pay such asking prices are chumps who win the lotto.

A friend won the top Euromillions a few months back - apparently he had the top prize but it was only about 4 thousand. Unlucky for him his final number was one away from the one drawn and that would have meant something like over 12 million.

No sympathy, only wild laughter.