House Price Crash Forum
FaTB

Ing Direct

Just had an email telling me that, so they can maintain a high quality service or some such bo**ocks, that they will be dropping their interest rates again to 4.5% !!

Time to move my deposit !!

Any suggestions ?

Just had an email telling me that, so they can maintain a high quality service or some such bo**ocks, that they will be dropping their interest rates again to 4.5% !!

Any suggestions ?

cahoot do 5.25 on over 15K i think. Any good to ya?

cheers

edit: good to see a fellow muppet FaTB :)

Edited by iamconfusedagain

cahoot do 5.25 on over 15K i think. Any good to ya?

cheers

AER on cahoot is 4.94% for monthly interest over £15k. Maximum £100k. I've just been filling in the online app cos ING have done the dirty. hey ho.

Any suggestions ?

GOLD !

Guest STR2004

AER on cahoot is 4.94% for monthly interest over £15k. Maximum £100k. I've just been filling in the online app cos ING have done the dirty. hey ho.

Me too. I assume they're banking on their customers being apathetic - at least two of us aren't. :D

Another ING customer here. Well a soon-to-be-ex-customer. I'm pulling my money out and moving elsewhere.

Just a thought. If we get lots of us doing this then perhaps we should write an HPC joint letter to the managing director explaining how much we have collectively withdrawn and the reasons for doing so.

Grrr!

One slight problem with the Cahoot rate is that it's stepped:

1 to 6 months = 5.25%

7 to 9 month = 4.75%

month 10 onwards = 4.5%

So while the first 12 momnths totals 5.93% AER it decreses over time. Oh well at least I'll move it for 6 months unless something better can be found?

Edited by Portent

I'm in the same boat here, have a sizeable (to me at least) deposit with ING, so is Cahoot the best alternative?

Screw gold and the pathetic saving accounts...whack it on OK Pal, 2.15pm Wolverhampton. To reduce the risk of a heart attack - if you can get it over 6-1 (which you will early), put it each way! I'll have 10% for that thanks.

Screw gold and the pathetic saving accounts...whack it on OK Pal, 2.15pm Wolverhampton. To reduce the risk of a heart attack - if you can get it over 6-1 (which you will early), put it each way! I'll have 10% for that thanks.

hmm, sounds like good advice but I may need to think about it first, nah what the hell may as well go and buy a property instead...

I shifted my money elsewhere the last time ING dropped their rates. Bradford and Bingley esavings account 4.85% gross pa. It was a bit higher when I opened the account but they seem to vary their rates in accordance with the BOE's changes. Probably scout around for something a bit better after Christmas. Did try Cahoot a while back but opening the account was a real faff so gave up on that one.

Get your money out of ING as this is unacceptable. I moved at the first rate cut - I wouldn't if they had just held off for a couple of weeks until the BOE had made their decision.

-First Direct are offering 5% but you lose interest in any month where you make a withdrawal.

-There are also some great regular savings options out there too, some where you can save up to £1k a month indefinately.

-There is also ICICI if you are feeling a little risky!

Edited by jaffa

looks like you lot will have to seek a higher return.

BTL's returning 6.5% can be found in many areas. They offer a good chance of increasing the valiue of your capital as well..........

:lol::lol:

Never get a good return on cash. Pointless rushing around trying to find a cash account that gives one.

How many higher rate tax payers are there now?

Cash savings are worth less every year once you allow for the tax demand.

We moved most of our cash at the first rate cut from ING - not before I rang up and voiced my displeasure

followed by a letter..

I've left a small amount with them, only for ease of access, however am considering move that now too, as really believe they are taking the p**s. Funny how the rates started to go down when they started they mortgage lending business??????

I'm currently using the First Direct E-savings account, which is fine as long as you don't need to make any withdrawals - as you then loose interest for the month on the entire amount.

Strange also how they pick their times to lower rates..the first time during the summer holidays and now just after the Christmas break....times when people are too busy either to notice....or find an alternative!

Get your money out of ING as this is unacceptable. I moved at the first rate cut - I wouldn't if they had just held off for a couple of weeks until the BOE had made their decision.

-First Direct are offering 5% but you lose interest in any month where you make a withdrawal.

First direct turn me down – as I have a bad credit rating. When I sold to rent one Tel charged me interest on my closed account then gave me the bad rating as I didn’t communicate with them because I had moved – can not open any accounts get any credit cards although I have tons of cash from my house sale –not got any loans and never been a bad payer.

I’ll be out of ing as soon as one Tel get there act together!

Abbey offer 5.15% (interest paid annually) or 5.0% (interest paid monthly) for the first 6 months. It then drops to 4.5%. So can anyone see any reason not to just open an Abbey e-Saver account for 6 months and then move it again when the 6 months is up?

Guest The_Oldie

Abbey offer 5.15% (interest paid annually) or 5.0% (interest paid monthly) for the first 6 months. It then drops to 4.5%. So can anyone see any reason not to just open an Abbey e-Saver account for 6 months and then move it again when the 6 months is up?

No reason whatsoever, there is no commitment to leave the money in after the six month bonus period.

I'm the same as most other posters on this thread, I closed my account down after the first rate cut and complained. I would advise anyone else with an ING Direct account to do the same. This is simply unacceptable and they are relying on the fact that people will not bother to move their money...well lets prove them wrong.