House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nasa Set To Make An 'amazing' Announcement About Pluto, Senior Scientist Says

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-amazing-announcement-pluto-alan-stern-a6684981.html

Nasa are set to reveal an "amazing" discovery on Thursday, according to one of the space agency's senior scientists.

Dr Alan Stern, a planetary scientist and Principal Investigator on Nasa's New Horizons Pluto mission, made the exciting announcement whilst speaking at the University of Alberta in Canada.

Whilst speaking about the latest images of Pluto captured by the New Horizons probe, Stern said: "Nasa won't let me tell you what we're going to tell you on Thursday. It's amazing."

Last week, Nasa unveiled new images of the surfce of Pluto, which show a landscape of mountains, craters and gorges.

Are they going to announce it's cold?

Can they turn the wick up a bit? It looks a bit tiny through my telescope. :(

Possibles:

Volcanic activity indicating a molten core.

Some kind of water - nitrogen ocean that is frozen on the surface but liquid underneath creating those upcrops.

Atmosphere - that brownish material may be giving off oxygen. Life?

It's now a planet again after some highly advanced definition changes.

The Pluto mission spacecraft has just crashed into the crystal sphere than Pluto is attached to.

I thought it was four turtles?

Sadly, NASA often get us excited about some discovery or other and then they get some rather dull sounding scientists.... to talk incredibly boringly... about something that is not that exciting at all.

They made a right muck up the other week of the Mars water possibilities. It should have been a fantastic announcement but they turned it into something of a dull geek fest that only a Mother of someone talking could say was wonderful.

Sadly, NASA often get us excited about some discovery or other and then they get some rather dull sounding scientists.... to talk incredibly boringly... about something that is not that exciting at all.

They made a right muck up the other week of the Mars water possibilities. It should have been a fantastic announcement but they turned it into something of a dull geek fest that only a Mother of someone talking could say was wonderful.

i think the real issue is that what might be amazing to a planetary scientist isnt really that thrilling to the public at large.

i think volcanoes of some sort are a good bet.

The perturbations of Uranus have stopped.

latterly, that would be a "disturbance in the Force" billion have died.

What "Amazing Announcement" ? Is it gay? Should be about the right odds for a small solar system of nine planets. :huh:

I wonder if it's related to a possible Triton connection: apparently young age, similar size and composition, the only two solar system bodies with retrograde orbits.

That sounds a bit "gay" to me. :wacko:

Sounds like the internal ocean theory, cracking open the planet and creating water volcanoes.

Maybe it's just one big ice cube!

Have they worked out where the energy comes from in the absence of tidal heating?

Nah, that is just my guess. Although, as we already know that is occuring on Triton, then would that be 'amazing'?