House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

Hpcers - You're Just Lazy And Do Not Work Hard Enough

'At 24, we have a house and earn £100,000. What could possibly go wrong?'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11881798/At-24-we-have-a-house-and-earn-100000.-What-could-possibly-go-wrong.html

This bit confuses me:

'Both are employed on coveted graduate training schemes, which offer increasing levels of pay each year. Miss Mills works in finance and Mr Kelly is a computer programmer.

As a result, they will both be higher-rate taxpayers by 2017, when their joint household income will be just shy of £100,000.'

Would you really count your chickens on that?

So they have £12k on their credit card(s) and £16k as an emergency fund? Great financial maturity? Hmmm.

'At 24, we have a house and earn £100,000. What could possibly go wrong?'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11881798/At-24-we-have-a-house-and-earn-100000.-What-could-possibly-go-wrong.html

This bit confuses me:

'Both are employed on coveted graduate training schemes, which offer increasing levels of pay each year. Miss Mills works in finance and Mr Kelly is a computer programmer.

As a result, they will both be higher-rate taxpayers by 2017, when their joint household income will be just shy of £100,000.'

They might earn 100K, not they do earn.

The bloke is a computyer programmer...his job has been out sourced, Senior Software engineers in India and getting paid 1/5 of what he hopes to earn.

You do the maths.

Also,

"With a £225,000 mortgage on their home and £12,000 in credit card debt – which is funding their wedding plans – they are borrowers rather than savers. Mr Kelly doesn’t have a pension yet, and they do not have enough disposable income to save or invest their money. They do, however, have a £16,000 emergency fund held in a current account.

"They show great financial maturity for their 24 years - but their current financial situation is very tight.""
F**king credit card debt and money in the bank....that;s not financial maturity that down right stupidity.

£225K mortgage....things can go wrong very quickly for them.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Not at all, why don't they just say the salary now? Suspiocious. You know the kind of tw*t that loves telling you he is a 'higher rate taxpayer'....secretly...'I'm richer than you'.

Also he is on a grad scheme and nearly higher rate tax payer but doesn't have any pension? All decent grad schemes for decent companies will have this.

Sorry, these two just seem quite hateful.

Not at all, why don't they just say the salary now? Suspiocious. You know the kind of tw*t that loves telling you he is a 'higher rate taxpayer'....secretly...'I'm richer than you'.

Also he is on a grad scheme and nearly higher rate tax payer but doesn't have any pension? All decent grad schemes for decent companies will have this.

Sorry, these two just seem quite hateful.

Id use the word 'fabricated'

I they do exist, I would like to offer some better financial advice. Just get the girl to knock on my Travel Lodge door , at 10pm.

I do like that busty, church dress look.

The girls young and fertile. Surely she'll be starting a family before she's 30. Honeymoon baby anyone?

Lets say they currently are on 25k.

Lets say the graduate scheme sort of peters out before they reach 50k/each.

Two incomes -> one income + a large mortgage.

Straight out of Uni they raised a 5% deposit on a 250k house without BOMAD

And they have 12k credit card debt

Hmmm

Edited by Si1

Thinking about it, this should be on the Propaganda thread, for it's little more.

This article is basically telling 24 year olds they should have bought a house with a massive mortgage, be thinking about getting married then investing in a pension, all based on potential future pay rises. It's basically an advert for the city of london financial types.

Most of us have seen 0% pay rises in 10/15 years. The young computer programmer might be shocked at how little people with his skill now get paid. I've no idea what the girl does, I stopped reading the article when I vommited.

I feel sorry for the young couple who have been sold the dream. They should have more self respect though, IMHO, to put their name to this kind of s**te.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Thinking about it, this should be on the Propaganda thread, for it's little more.

This article is basically telling 24 year olds they should have bought a house with a massive mortgage, be thinking about getting married then investing in a pension, all based on potential future pay rises. It's basically an advert for the city of london financial types.

Most of us have seen 0% pay rises in 10/15 years. The young computer programmer might be shocked at how little people with his skill now get paid. I've no idea what the girl does, I stopped reading the article when I vommited.

All anyone in my family has to do is look at the asking price, and they run for cover. And they're older and far more senior than either of those 2 individuals, with their £100K 'future' income.

Let's not make it another excuse-fest.

They will likely be able to service the mortgage into the future. Him in IT, I recall on first read. They got what they wanted also. A house.

Whereas my family expects to buy houses at the £400K-£500K range... well opportunities perhaps to buy at £200K-£250K. Perhaps the former cushy homes of tax-snared overleveraged BTLers.

How much do they owe in student loans? And the 20% Help To Buy loan is only interest-free for 5 years, after which the interest starts piling up. I'd be prioritising paying off that loan before the clock runs out.

They're very lucky that they met young and have two decent incomes. But families starting out shouldn't have to use 0% credit, government loans, and gamble on large future wage rises in order to buy an ordinary family home.

When I was 24 I wouldn't have felt comfortable borrowing 100k, never mind more than double that.

Good luck to them, even so. Here in London I don't think 225k would buy me anything.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathonkelly

Anthemis is the investment and advisory firm at the center of a vibrant ecosystem of startups and financial institutions dedicated to reinventing financial services for the digital world. The Anthemis team is composed of bright, entrepreneurial thinkers who care about getting things done, and have the skills and experience to do just that. We are committed investors, thoughtful advisors, active conveners, and dedicated problem solvers who share a passion for technology and a belief in the transformative power of digital financial services. No one is better positioned to help organizations of all sizes capitalize on the changing landscape than Anthemis.

My role as an assistant developed my communication and team working skills within a busy work environment. I coped with significant pressure and demand by prioritising my time and focusing on key tasks. As a natural problem solver I find the challenge of creating innovative solutions to problems within a task both rewarding and stimulating. My personal motivation and organisation skills were intensely developed by the need to balance my academic studies with my work. By taking on extra responsibility, I acted as a leader within my team managing the team tasks and striving to develop my team members by training them with my own knowledge. I needed to remain focused, motivating my team with my own enthusiasm positive outlook and target driven focus, engaging with them and empowering them in order to gain their commitment. My pride in demonstrating personal ownership and supporting my team drives me to succeed.

(his role profile for his time as a shop assistant in Morrisons - A+ for effort frankly!)

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathonkelly

Anthemis is the investment and advisory firm at the center of a vibrant ecosystem of startups and financial institutions dedicated to reinventing financial services for the digital world. The Anthemis team is composed of bright, entrepreneurial thinkers who care about getting things done, and have the skills and experience to do just that. We are committed investors, thoughtful advisors, active conveners, and dedicated problem solvers who share a passion for technology and a belief in the transformative power of digital financial services. No one is better positioned to help organizations of all sizes capitalize on the changing landscape than Anthemis.

Bet he programs in Java too. Fool.

How much do they owe in student loans? And the 20% Help To Buy loan is only interest-free for 5 years, after which the interest starts piling up. I'd be prioritising paying off that loan before the clock runs out.

They're very lucky that they met young and have two decent incomes. But families starting out shouldn't have to use 0% credit, government loans, and gamble on large future wage rises in order to buy an ordinary family home.

When I was 24 I wouldn't have felt comfortable borrowing 100k, never mind more than double that.

Good luck to them, even so. Here in London I don't think 225k would buy me anything.

Yet they chose to.

She's in finance and he's a computer programmer. I know some HPCers want to set themselves up as a House-Price Star-Chamber on who can do what in the market, or with their lives too.

Quite safeish applicants for HTB, as they've chosen. Also they won't be competing for houses vs my family into a HPC. For they have a house, on HTB.

Bet he programs in Java too. Fool.

He appears to have mcps proqual. Motivated bloke. Working for a startup which is why he has no pension, and perhaps a high salary.

My role as an assistant developed my communication and team working skills within a busy work environment. I coped with significant pressure and demand by prioritising my time and focusing on key tasks. As a natural problem solver I find the challenge of creating innovative solutions to problems within a task both rewarding and stimulating. My personal motivation and organisation skills were intensely developed by the need to balance my academic studies with my work. By taking on extra responsibility, I acted as a leader within my team managing the team tasks and striving to develop my team members by training them with my own knowledge. I needed to remain focused, motivating my team with my own enthusiasm positive outlook and target driven focus, engaging with them and empowering them in order to gain their commitment. My pride in demonstrating personal ownership and supporting my team drives me to succeed.

(his role profile for his time as a shop assistant in Morrisons - A+ for effort frankly!)

Where are his actual coding skills like C++ etc or is it all just management speak/********?

Please don't make me login to LinkedIn to find out! :lol: ...as I hate it.

So what product are Anthemis actually selling, and why would I want one?

Some kind of financial technical services company in London

Where are his actual coding skills like C++ etc or is it all just management speak/********?

Please don't make me login to LinkedIn to find out! :lol: ...as I hate it.

A bunch of ms technologies

Yet they chose to.

She's in finance and he's a computer programmer. I know some HPCers want to set themselves up as a House-Price Star-Chamber on who can do what in the market, or with their lives too.

Quite safeish applicants for HTB, as they've chosen. Also they won't be competing for houses vs my family into a HPC. For they have a house, on HTB.

Both working in the rent seeking economy. Now State funded rent seekers themselves as home owners.

He appears to have mcps proqual. Motivated bloke. Working for a startup which is why he has no pension, and perhaps a high salary.

Oh fck. Even worse - programming in Visual C#.

He seems to be a bit evasive about what he can actually program. He just lists some MS certificates rather than the the degree he did. HTML5 + JavaScript. Eurgh.