House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InlikeFlynn

Scrapping A Car

My old banger has finally reached the end of its life - I'm facing a bill of a grand to get it through its MOT and as it's 12 years and nearly 200K miles old it's time to replace.

I haven't scrapped a car before - what's the process?

Fill in a SORN and claim back tax, then contact the scrappy?

How much is a scrap car worth these days? (skoda Octavia estate, so quite big).

Any help from the bangernomics experts very welcome!

My old banger has finally reached the end of its life - I'm facing a bill of a grand to get it through its MOT and as it's 12 years and nearly 200K miles old it's time to replace.

I haven't scrapped a car before - what's the process?

Fill in a SORN and claim back tax, then contact the scrappy?

How much is a scrap car worth these days? (skoda Octavia estate, so quite big).

Any help from the bangernomics experts very welcome!

You will probably get £100 or so for it. Are you sure you won't spend on it? I usually pay to keep the old thing going, if the body is good. Yes, correct, get your unexpired tax back, and declare it SORN, then phone the scrappies. I can't imagine a 12 year old Skoda is unsaveable.

I wonder if some of the scrapper sites actually just get them going on the cheap and sell them on ?

I wonder if some of the scrapper sites actually just get them going on the cheap and sell them on ?

Probably going to Africa, or East Europe. Some of the last "scrappage" scheme(if you remember it) ended up in containers, going somewhere else, where they still had value.

Probably going to Africa, or East Europe. Some of the last "scrappage" scheme(if you remember it) ended up in containers, going somewhere else, where they still had value.

I see.

The bangernomics experts should know nothing about scrapping cars, hopefully!

Ours just had an MOT- no advisories (i replaced one bulb prior to presenting it for the test). Early 1997 vintage. Total expenditure this year has been timing belt and ancillaries, two oil/filter changes, fuel and air filter and spark plugs (about 100 quid all in), plus a set of 4 Michelin tyres for under 150 quid. Most miles it's ever done in a year in the last 12 months (about 12,000 miles, 120k on the clock in total). I am continually surprised that the exhaust system remains sound although it's pretty cheap to replace it when the time comes. CV boots need doing soon, should have done them the year before last but didn't have the time despite doing quite a bit else around the same area of the car, kicking myself really as it'll be a bit of wasted time to do on their own.

If you want zero hassle & an immediate quote:

http://www.cartakeback.com/

I've got rid of several relatives cars via them. Put in your reg / postcode & you get an instant email quote.

You're talking around £50-100 give or take - scrap metal prices are on the floor.

You then choose if you want to drop it off at local dealer or dealer pick it up on a wagon. I chose latter & it was ridiculously simple. Driver told me they will try and sell it on if worthwhile but if no buyer in 1-2 weeks or so they simply scrap the metal that's worth anything (engine/gearbox) and depending on quality may keep bumpers, doors etc for resale else scrap the lot.

I'm sure all the bangernomics crowd will recoil in horror at scrapping old cars & if you prefer to haggle with some 2nd hand car dealer or have advertise it in and have loads of undesirables knocking on your door then I'm sure you'll get a few hundred quid more. Personally I'd rather pay not to have to deal with them.

I see.

They will be going somewhere. The car needed a valid MOT ticket in order to "scrap" it. It won't be going to Poland, as not possible to register a RHD car there AFAIK. Not a problem in other parts of the World. You just get in the other door! :unsure:

The bangernomics experts should know nothing about scrapping cars, hopefully!

I've only ever sold one car. The rest are scrapped. Keep them going as long as is possible.

I once sent a car to auction which was also very easy. One phone call and they picked it up, a tiny amount of paperwork to do and a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later. If the car is not worth much if anything over scrap value in its current condition then the sites suggested above would probably be preferable though as the fees can be relatively large.

Many thanks for all the replies - I'll deal with the tax tomorrow, ring a local scrappy to see what they will offer for it, and failing that take the £120 from cartakeback. I like the idea of ebay but it's sitting in the yard behind my local garage at the moment, without an MoT. so I can't really get it back to my house easily.

You will probably get £100 or so for it. Are you sure you won't spend on it? I usually pay to keep the old thing going, if the body is good. Yes, correct, get your unexpired tax back, and declare it SORN, then phone the scrappies. I can't imagine a 12 year old Skoda is unsaveable.

MrPin, I really would keep it but it has become increasingly expensive and unreliable in the last 18 months. Things have started to fail regularly and I am getting too familiar with the garage. The bodywork is starting to go and the undercarriage is falling apart (not just the silly plastic cowling that is now more cable tie than original). It's been a great car, I bought it with ~40k on the clock for £6.5k and I've had it for 9 years and 150,000 miles. It has done its work!

Although it's probably not a concern if the car's in a garage yard, be a bit careful with these online scrapping services. When I needed to get rid of my old Mondeo about 3 years ago I entered the details into one of the sites, I forget which one now. They quoted me about £120 IIRC and said that their operative would ring to arrange a collection time. I never got a call. The very next day heading off to work at 5.30am I discovered that the car had gone. The cheeky sods had been and lifted it in the middle of the night from the side road next to our house. Police weren't interested in querying the online firm to ask which dodgy local scrappy they'd passed the job on to. I wasn't particularly fussed about the £120, but I had to report the car as stolen as obviously I didn't get the paperwork done!

Edit: it serves me right really for being a lazy disorganised git; the car, though a pretty sheddy old banger with a gaffa taped bumper, still worked fine and had a valid MOT. Probably could have got £200 for it had I bothered to list it on ebay.

Lol good story. The geezer's mistake was go take out the indicators, and the bonnet. Pretty sure the lack of doors wouldn't have made it unroadworthy. Should have parked up outside the scrappy, removed the rest of it there, and got the bus back.

I decided to pull the good parts off my mum's old clio before we scrapped it. As a result I got nothing for it when the bloke turned up to lift it. The parts (headlights, windows etc.) are now clogging up the garage as again due to laziness I never got round to listing them on ebay, and years down the line I doubt there's much demand for Mk1 Phase 3 Clio bits...

Depending on the engine/location you will probably find someone to buy it on ebay or Skoda forums. There is always demand for lots of bits and pieces off any car or someone will buy it, fix it on the cheap with parts they already have and run it around for a few more years.

Inspired by the frugality and general good sense exhibited throughout this thread I have brought the car home and will SORN it and Ebay it once the years MOT expires. Thanks for all your help.

Apologies for the thread necromancy but thought the culmination of this business might be of interest to other thrifty HPCers.

I put the car on ebay as an" MOT failure for scrap spares or repair". started the bidding at a low reserve of £10. Had a lot of bids, initially from some odd ebay timewasters until I set up the buyer filters correctly on the listing. It eventually sold for £238 to a nice guy from Czechoslovakia who collected the car this morning. I made £200 net after listing fees and ebay commission. In comparison I was offered £20 by my local breakers yard and a similar amount by the scrapping website I checked on.

Ebay seems like a good place to sell end-of-life cars - thanks to Mikthe20 for the tip.

Apologies for the thread necromancy but thought the culmination of this business might be of interest to other thrifty HPCers.

I put the car on ebay as an" MOT failure for scrap spares or repair". started the bidding at a low reserve of £10. Had a lot of bids, initially from some odd ebay timewasters until I set up the buyer filters correctly on the listing. It eventually sold for £238 to a nice guy from Czechoslovakia who collected the car this morning. I made £200 net after listing fees and ebay commission. In comparison I was offered £20 by my local breakers yard and a similar amount by the scrapping website I checked on.

Ebay seems like a good place to sell end-of-life cars - thanks to Mikthe20 for the tip.

Whee! :mellow: Maybe he is a bit of a mechanic and wanted iy for parts!

Perhaps he needs the parts for his time machine to get back to 1992.