House Price Crash Forum

Greet Nod Ignore

Steppenpig

HOLA441

What is the socially acceptable way of acknowledging people who one encounters daily or (more awkwardly) more regularly, but with whom one has only a passing geographical connection? The doorman, colleague at the photocopier, builders working in the courtyard.

HOLA442
HOLA443

What is the socially acceptable way of acknowledging people who one encounters daily or (more awkwardly) more regularly, but with whom one has only a passing geographical connection? The doorman, colleague at the photocopier, builders working in the courtyard.

In the north of England have a ten minute conversation, invite them for tea, offer to assist them for an hour with their building project, in the south pretend you have not seen them.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Following someone through a building is more awkward if they're in front of you and holding the doors open. By the third door the "thanks" starts to feel a bit silly.

trip them up and take the lead.

HOLA448
HOLA449

A general hello, or if it's morning then good morning.

Simple greetings like that are something that I'm trying consciously do more often to come out of my shell a bit and be less socially awkward, if you can call it that. I've also started extending my farewell's to include an American-style (have a good one/have a good day).

Now if I can just progress to a friendly 'fancy a shag?' when appropriate, my social skills will be complete.

HOLA4410

A general hello, or if it's morning then good morning.

Simple greetings like that are something that I'm trying consciously do more often to come out of my shell a bit and be less socially awkward, if you can call it that. I've also started extending my farewell's to include an American-style (have a good one/have a good day).

Now if I can just progress to a friendly 'fancy a shag?' when appropriate, my social skills will be complete.

Cut out the middleman!

Seems as I get older saying 'take care' doesn't sound as pansy as when you're younger. Also seem to be regularly greeting people with 'easy x' a lot again, I think that's a phrase that gets bandied around at the gym a lot!

HOLA4411

Following someone through a building is more awkward if they're in front of you and holding the doors open. By the third door the "thanks" starts to feel a bit silly.

At work, us 'blokes' have noticed a difference between the young women and the younger men. More of the former will breeze through a door and let the door swing closed in your face than the latter, who will more often hold it open. Is this some form of flirting, or summat else ?

I'll never forget the time I committed the ultimate faux pas of opening a door for a woman at work. Now, I just open the door for other men.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'll never forget the time I committed the ultimate faux pas of opening a door for a woman at work. Now, I just open the door for other men.

I remember going on a third date with a feminist, and holding the door open for her as we left my apartment building - she froze, shot me the most withering look ever, and after an awkward second or so I got the message and just walked through the door ahead of her.

I must have been oppressing her or something. What an arsehole.

HOLA4416

I remember going on a third date with a feminist, and holding the door open for her as we left my apartment building - she froze, shot me the most withering look ever, and after an awkward second or so I got the message and just walked through the door ahead of her.

I must have been oppressing her or something. What an arsehole.

You should have gone through after she did, and then goosed her.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Presumably you ditched her pretty quicky after that?

Nope, unfortunately not. That third date involved a meal together, where she had asked me out and showed up all tarted up, we shared a desert at the end of the meal blah blah - and then she was disgusted when I finally made my move (although it was a clumsy move) and friendzoned me. I was besotted with her so spent 6 months trying to 'win her over' while she treated me with increasing contempt (highlights included her sitting opposite me lamenting that she "couldn't find anyone GOOD enough" on the dating sites). All very bad indeed for my mojo.

I was inexperienced in these matters at the time and a mix of hard-earned cynicism and better self esteem means I'd never do anything so foolish again.

HOLA4419

What about cycling? Do you greet those commuting the other way as fellow warriors of the road/crappy cyclepath (and be regarded as nodding loon)? Or coolly ignore everyone (and be regarded as a grumpy antisocial git)? And what about when you overtake someone? A breezy "morning!" (before you collapse breathless round the next corner)? Or studied indifference as you eat yet another lesser mortal for breakfast (before you collapse breathless round the next corner)?

Cycling's worse than chess.

HOLA4420

Cycling's worse than chess.

Damn right it is.

I've never commuted by bike, so all my cycling has been done for pleasure. But you could write a thesis on the different reactions of people you cross paths with out cycling. I tend to give everyone a cheerful "hello", unless they are going down a very steep hill while I am going up it, in which case they get a nod and a brief wave of the hand. But I'm always disappointed how many people completely ignore you. They are normally clad in one piece lycra with a £5k bike and are presumably so busy being the next Chris Froome that they can't even spare the energy to acknowledge lesser mortals. I'll admit that my greetings in these cases normally start politely with "Hello!" and end loudly with "You ******ing *****". I've no idea why it annoys me so much, but it does.

Regarding overtaking, I normally just say hello. I learned not to get too cocky about it early in my cycling days when I had just splashed out on the bike and all the gear, only to get overtaken on a very steep hill by a bloke in his 70s, riding a fixie, wearing a panama hat, beige slacks, and bloody flip-flops. He was extremely chatty as he went past as well, bless him.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The first time I cycled to work in my twenties, the effort nearly killed me. I was particularly demoralised to be overtaken by an old codger riding an ancient rusty bike (with, maybe, three hub gears) and smoking a rollie. He sailed past with a cheerful "Good Morning!" and a wave of his fag.

He did, however, inspire/incentivise me to stick with it and I've pretty much cycle commuted ever since. And I've mostly greeted fellow riders. Never saw him again. He must have been an ethereal presence on the road.

HOLA4423

The first time I cycled to work in my twenties, the effort nearly killed me. I was particularly demoralised to be overtaken by an old codger riding an ancient rusty bike (with, maybe, three hub gears) and smoking a rollie. He sailed past with a cheerful "Good Morning!" and a wave of his fag.

He did, however, inspire/incentivise me to stick with it and I've pretty much cycle commuted ever since. And I've mostly greeted fellow riders. Never saw him again. He must have been an ethereal presence on the road.

Sounds like my dad! :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I was particularly demoralised to be overtaken by an old codger riding an ancient rusty bike (with, maybe, three hub gears) and smoking a rollie. He sailed past with a cheerful "Good Morning!" and a wave of his fag.

Brilliant :lol:

Archived