House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
giesahoose

Missapropriation Of Language

Following on from the discussion on another thread about the word region being missused i thought of a few more instances of words being used for a cause to stop debate.

Most obvious two examples to me are

Affordable housing - now doesn't mean having housing that people can afford instead it's a scheme where a chosen few are allowed to gain possession of housing in a subsidised way. Ironically making everyone else's housing less affordable.

Living wage - not a wage that you can survive on. The Joseph Rowntree foundation took this label on to mean the amount that would be required to fund their fantasy basket of goods and services. Ironically the torys then stole it to mean their new minimum wage squaring the whole ridiculous circle.

Does anyone have any more?

To be honest I'm fine in principal with 'Regions' vs 'Capital'. If you're reading anything negative into the term then we're really in trouble (well maybe we are) - racial slurs for example are not necessarily inherent in the etymology of words but can simply be created through a process of staining with collective malice.

My pet hate, more political than anything else, is the 'Housing Crisis' versus 'Housing Affordability Crisis'.

Deposit in respect of Banking is used to disguise the fact that you are lending the bank your money.

Withdrawal, means in reality, the bank pay you back what they owe you.

Interest only mortgage is not a mortgage, it is bank loan.

Release some equity means take a second mortgage.

Edited by Byron

To be honest I'm fine in principal with 'Regions' vs 'Capital'. If you're reading anything negative into the term then we're really in trouble (well maybe we are) - racial slurs for example are not necessarily inherent in the etymology of words but can simply be created through a process of staining with collective malice.

My pet hate, more political than anything else, is the 'Housing Crisis' versus 'Housing Affordability Crisis'.

I reckon the phrase "housing costs" needs to get lots more exposure.

"Planning"

It should be about ensuring there is sufficient infrastructure (hospitals, schools, roads, etc) to support our way of life, but in the UK it shares more in common with "family planning" (i.e. birth control) for reducing or preventing housing construction.

'Housing Ladder'

Ladder implies some sort of effort to climb it. Can we refer to it as a 'Housing Escalator' from now in since just by getting on at the right time you have risen to the top with very little effort.

The oldest of all: using property to mean land.

Every housing discussion, every estate agents advert and every episode of homes under the hammer, subtly reinforces the insidious idea that governing land is somehow the same as having belongings.

And who would question the importance of property rights?

Edited by BuyToLeech

Property Expert = Phuc wit too thick for anything.

Expert used to mean product expert, advocate or salesman is, in my opinion, a symptom of consumerism.

For example, men who are car experts because they read all the motoring reviews, but have no idea how an engine works. Or football experts, who have never actually played football.

Principal versus Principle. ;)