House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichB

What's The Difference Between Social Mobility And Gentrification?

I see these words (along with things like aspiration) thrown around quite a bit on here and in various bits of the press...usually with some level of agenda tacked on.

So in addition to the question in the title can we ponder whether it is possible to have social mobility without gentrification (whatever it means)?

Edited by RichB

To gentrify means taking the St George's flag out of your front window, and replacing it with some of those white wooden

letters spelling K I R S T I E..

Edited by juvenal

Something to do with beards and the price of corn flakes. Incidentally just to say haven't some of the places claimed to be in the process of so called gentrification already been reported as being gentrified some years ago. Does that mean that in the meantime they were degentrified and if so one has to ask what's the point - that is apart from the gentrification idea being a massive scam.

Edited by billybong

I dont really know what the drivers of gentrification are. My impression is most of the white residents of Shoreditch and similar are young singletons somewhere between university and actually forging a proper career. Mostly on rather low wages, few are actually coining it in the city (the long hours I doubt would appeal anyway)

I suspect the city boys in finance or law, the upwardly mobile types commute in from a bit further afield. Most of the hipster gentrifiers arent going anywhere up socially and probably only get by on parental handouts. I doubt there is much money in serving coffee and the occasional pub gig.

Gentrification happens when people who would have lived and bought in Area X now can't, because X has become so expensive, so they move into Area Y, which they wouldn't even have considered a while back - scruffy and down at heel - and gradually do up the properties.

So an area that was scruffy and run down becomes a lot nicer, with the odd coffee shop replacing a cheap takeaway. And gradually - or quickly - prices there go up, and people who suddenly realise that Area Y has become sought after, also find that it's become a lot more expensive. So they look at still-scruffy Area Z instead, and so it goes on.

Surely the classic textbook case is Islington? The original template for everywhere else, and for the true Champagne-reading, Guardian-quaffing stereotype.

Interesting thought: when the esteemed leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition moved there as a young man, it must also have been the only area to have really transformed itself and gone upmarket in the sense of modern gentrification.

I think it is better to live in an afforbable scruffy area with nice honest people than a posh artificially created place to make money from people with money.

....same as using the not so smooth slow road to get you from a to b, or the expensive fast, very expensive, smooth but not so busy toll road to get to and from the same place.....notice the different types of vechicles that use the different roads.......then see what happends when they shut down the free road.

I think it is better to live in an afforbable scruffy area with nice honest people than a posh artificially created place to make money from people with money.

Shhh. That's the kind of attitude that's not allowed on HPC. With that kind of attitude you can still deny the HPC orthodoxy and get a London flat at under £100k, like the FTBs of earlier generations.

To me social mobility is about people doing better and moving up into a better area.

Gentrification is about people being displaced from wealthier areas and moving down into poorer areas and so displacing the incumbents.

To me social mobility is about people doing better and moving up into a better area.

Gentrification is about people being displaced from wealthier areas and moving down into poorer areas and so displacing the incumbents.

So how does one get to one without th3 other? Should certain areas be cordoned off as legalised shit holes? Like some kind of 60s brutalist concrete monstrosity is protected by listed status?

Gentrification is doctors and bankers moving to shit areas because its all they can afford. Social mobility is about the son of a roadsweeper moving into an area occupied primarily by doctors and bankers because he worked hard and took his opportunities.

Gentrification is doctors and bankers moving to shit areas because its all they can afford. Social mobility is about the son of a roadsweeper moving into an area occupied primarily by doctors and bankers because he worked hard and took his opportunities.

Exactly.

Surely the classic textbook case is Islington? The original template for everywhere else, and for the true Champagne-reading, Guardian-quaffing stereotype.

Interesting thought: when the esteemed leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition moved there as a young man, it must also have been the only area to have really transformed itself and gone upmarket in the sense of modern gentrification.

Islington started as a wealthy area, hence the many roads of large stucco fronted houses. You can add Brixton and parts of Notting Hill to that, too.

Fulham and Hammersmith have become gentrified from more modest beginnings.

So you'd vote for the designation of currently crappy areas to keep the crappy area badge and prevent anyone selling their property for more than a nominal sum only to people from the area? A bit like the agricultural ties covenants you see in places like wiltshire?

So you'd vote for the designation of currently crappy areas to keep the crappy area badge and prevent anyone selling their property for more than a nominal sum only to people from the area? A bit like the agricultural ties covenants you see in places like wiltshire?

I'm sure we would all prefer social mobility moving up the stack. Unfortunately being pushed down the stack is the prevailing order of the day. Read some of the other threads to learn all about it.

Gentrifiacation, is paying £3 .50 for a bowl of cornflakes, More Gentrification is pay £5.50 for a bowl of cornflakes around the next street

Crappy areas may 'look' crappy to an outsider but they are rich and diverse, with close community ties......make them flash, new, man made for commerce purposes changes areas irrevocably.

You can have nice modern new schools that are crap also.

Someone stating what they think is happening isn't the same as them agreeing with it.