House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

London Renters Forced To Pay Much More Than They Can Afford

The average renter in London is paying £100 more than they can afford

Figures have put a new estimate on just how costly it is. Flatsharers in the capital can expect to pay £692.30 a month to rent a room, almost £100 more than renters say they can actually afford, according to property website EasyRoommate. The data show that these people are spending an extra £1,128 a year.

brokestudent_Jenny_2475171b.jpg

i guess the rest of the country is unbearable.

it would be if everyone in london took this advice and moved to the other cities - it would just cause the same problem there!

Maybe they can room-share and pay "only" £350 a month for half-a-room and no privacy? They're just not trying.

Many rooms are too small.

2CEDE9EC00000578-3254727-image-m-48_1443

Edited by rollover

i guess the rest of the country is unbearable.

We moved when my other-half was offered a job out of London. It lasted for 2 years and then there was a long period of unemployment as there was nothing else available there. We had to move back to the South East as that was the only place he would find a job in the end.

The areas that people are willing to commute from are getting larger and larger and pushing up house prices there

Unless companies move out of London in huge numbers or home working magically becomes more feasible we are stuck

Because in many cases, London is where the jobs are.

I would agree to an extent - but why would a shop worker / coffee maker / cleaner want to remain in London? Those jobs exist nationwide.

I would agree to an extent - but why would a shop worker / coffee maker / cleaner want to remain in London? Those jobs exist nationwide.

Although what would your chances be of moving to, say, Birmingham and getting a job in a shop, competing against all the Brummies who want a job in a shop, and also having to rent while many of the natives are living rent-free with family?

the impression I get from people I know in these groups is that in other areas of the country these jobs are even harder to get

the impression I get from people I know in these groups is that in other areas of the country these jobs are even harder to get

Yes because areas with fewer people per square mile, with less, shop less and make their own coffee and cakes, and clean their own houses.....poor people are there to serve the rich who can afford them..the rest who can will DIY.

Perhaps because in London so few workers in coffee shops can afford to live there on the coffee shop wages that the jobs are there for the taking whereas in other areas there's more competition for the jobs on offer.

I know a bloke who does bar work in west Yorkshire and said it's all about who you know, impossible to get a job otherwise.

I know a bloke who does bar work in west Yorkshire and said it's all about who you know, impossible to get a job otherwise.

Plenty of retail work in Exeter, some companies are literally desperate for staff.

Plenty of work for software developers in the south west as well. Well, not plenty but there's more than there are unemployed devs anyway.

Maybe they can room-share and pay "only" £350 a month for half-a-room and no privacy? They're just not trying.

Even 4 to a room. Easy if 2 of them work nights. Hang on, I've heard of a place that does that! It's called a hostel. How much does a hostel cost in London now days.....

Figures have put a new estimate on just how costly it is. Flatsharers in the capital can expect to pay £692.30 a month to rent a room, almost £100 more than renters say they can actually afford, according to property website EasyRoommate. The data show that these people are spending an extra £1,128 a year.

Is it really that cheap?

If it had been that cheap - relative to a graduate salary - in 1983, I need never have been driven abroad. If I had gone, it could've been for a more positive reason. :blink:

Plenty of retail work in Exeter, some companies are literally desperate for staff.

Plenty of work for software developers in the south west as well. Well, not plenty but there's more than there are unemployed devs anyway.

I meant with respect to bar work, being relevant to the argument about it being hard to get quite basic jobs. I don't know about better paid jobs.

Even 4 to a room. Easy if 2 of them work nights. Hang on, I've heard of a place that does that! It's called a hostel. How much does a hostel cost in London now days.....

Around £400 per calendar month for a bed in a 28-bed room, if you can book in advance and get a really good deal.

Try hostelbookers.com to get an idea.

Is it really that cheap?

If it had been that cheap - relative to a graduate salary - in 1983, I need never have been driven abroad. If I had gone, it could've been for a more positive reason. :blink:

No, £692.30 looks to be on the cheaper end to me these days.

Everyone advertises the weekly price even though everyone gets paid monthly because the monthly figures are crazy. If I was forced to move into a new flat share tomorrow I would expect to be budgeting something more like £800/month, though that would likely include bills.

As for a bedsit or 1-bed flat, forget it. Someone told me the other day that they had seen a programme where someone running one of these flat share sites had said they were getting increasing numbers of people in their 40s and 50s looking for shares.

No, £692.30 looks to be on the cheaper end to me these days.

Everyone advertises the weekly price even though everyone gets paid monthly because the monthly figures are crazy. If I was forced to move into a new flat share tomorrow I would expect to be budgeting something more like £800/month, though that would likely include bills.

As for a bedsit or 1-bed flat, forget it. Someone told me the other day that they had seen a programme where someone running one of these flat share sites had said they were getting increasing numbers of people in their 40s and 50s looking for shares.

Regarding the weekly/monthly price, a lot of people will mentally multiply the weekly price by four on the misconception that there are 4 weeks in a month. There are actually an average of 4.3 weeks in each month.

Hard to believe, but I actually know of two instances where this caused confusion/dispute between a landlord and tenants.

Seriously. Why? I need a comprehensive answer to this, it's mental, is it just due to woeful occupancy ratios?

It is because London is bonkers

A friend of mine works at Nestlé in York. He was recently offered a promotion that meant moving to croydon. Even though it is a significant promotion with a big pay rise, he said no. To move into a comparable house he would go from mortgage free to using most of his savings and still needing a £500k mortgage. He could afford that, but just can't stomach it.

Can't blame him.