House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Quite Interesting Thread

For those of us who are fans of the programme and enjoy knowing facts that whilst QI will never make a pub's quiz night.

Like WWII ending in 1990 (when Germany reunited so was able to sign the treaty)

And the first president of the United States being Peyton Randolph (George Washington was first president of the independent US)

My contribution:

AInsley Harriot - mildly annoying chef from daytime TV in the 90s right? No, he has another string to his bow:

Harriott's talents also lay in comedy and singing as well as cooking and Harriott formed the Calypso Twins with schoolfriend Paul Boross, releasing a hit record in the early 1990s, "World Party". The Calypso Twins went on to be regular performers at the Comedy Store and Jongleurs; they also performed in America and on TV and radio shows.

With a whole string of vidoes on Youtube. Not my type of music admittedly but a hit record (for the music, rather than trading off his later celebrity status) and a performer at the top comedy stores in London is damn fine IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+calypso+twins

I'm sure Ainsley is a very nice chap, but he absolutely does my head in when I see him on the television.

My quite interesting:

I was on Youtube the other day playing Nick Lowe's "Cracking Up", and one of the suggested videos for me was Dave Edmunds "Girl's Talk" which I've always kind of liked in a "yes it's naff, but what the hell" sort of way. So I went directly from one video to the next, whereupon I noticed that it was in fact completely the same band, just with the lead singer rotated. Dave Edmunds backed Nick Lowe, and vice versa, and the rest of the band were the same.

Turns out they were originally a band called Rockpile, and somehow or other Edmunds and Lowe both got contracts with different labels. So Rockpile released their first couple of albums as a band, and the rest were "solo" Edmunds or Lowe albums.

I found this hugely interesting. My wife seemed to think it was all perfectly normal.

Here are the vids:

The winners of the first Scottish Football Championship were Rangers AND Dumbarton.

They were equal after all the games. So had a play off. That was a draw. There was nothing in the rules for that eventuality - so the league was shared. First and only time in Scotland.

Fairly interesting.

The winners of the first Scottish Football Championship were Rangers AND Dumbarton.

They were equal after all the games. So had a play off. That was a draw. There was nothing in the rules for that eventuality - so the league was shared. First and only time in Scotland.

Fairly interesting.

Very interesting!

Not as interesting but the only time a league team has failed to enter the league cup proper is 2002/03 by Bristol Rovers, beaten by Barnet.

The only other time there was a preliminary round (2011/12) both teams were conference teams (WImbledon & Crawley).

Preliminary rounds happen because of bigger teams getting byes for European competitions.

AInsley Harriot - mildly annoying chef from daytime TV in the 90s right?

Mildly? You must have a far higher annoyance threshold than me. I couldn't watch more than 20 seconds of that music video! :D

I love QI, but it's like with good jokes, I can't remember any of the quite interesting facts that I enjoyed hearing.

Northerner, on 02 Oct 2015 - 2:37 PM, said:

A Whippet can run 200 yards in less than 12 seconds.

Is that an African Whippet or a European Whippet?

Northerner, on 02 Oct 2015 - 2:37 PM, said:

A Whippet can run 200 yards in less than 12 seconds.

Is that an African Whippet or a European Whippet?

Barnsley. Born and bred.

This I didn't know - are they socks, or very soft shoes?

I suppose you could class them as both. Some shoes are barely 'socks'.

Depends on the definition.

Gloves have to specifically fit a shape. So do 'shoes' as they align to your arch and toes shape(Well some do anyway).

Socks can stretch and adapt to your feet shape - so left and right are not usually needed. As said - some sports type socks do - wee bit of extra padding and support at certain parts under more stress due to various activities.

Vaguely interesting at best ^ :lol:

If you have left hand and right hand gloves and left and right shoes, why don't we have left and right socks?

My sports socks* have L and R handily printed on them.

I usually go out in two Ls or two Rs, which I use to explain any lack of sporting prowess on that occasion. (all other occasions require a different excuse).

*they are the same as normal socks, except that they come from sports direct (or equally awful store) and are yellow.

Yorkshire is famous for its rhubarb. The 'rhubarb triangle' measures nine square miles between Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford. 'Forced Yorkshire rhubarb' gained EU Protected Designation of Origin status in 2010.

My sports socks* have L and R handily printed on them.

I usually go out in two Ls or two Rs, which I use to explain any lack of sporting prowess on that occasion. (all other occasions require a different excuse).

*they are the same as normal socks, except that they come from sports direct (or equally awful store) and are yellow.

I bought a cheap pair of socks once, but when I put them on, the L was on my right foot and the R was on my left foot, and I thought "no wonder they were so cheap"