House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

College Shooting Massacre ++Breaking++ 15+ Dead..!

Getting disturbing news that a massacre has occured at a US college. Multiple casualties.

I'm not terribly surprised that this would happen in rural Oregon. I have family who live near where this happened, and spent several weeks there earlier this year. People there are obsessed with guns -- everyone has a complete armoury at home. The gun obsession, which when I was growing up consisted of having a bb gun or a rifle for deer hunting, has just gone completely bonkers in the US where people now have entire collections of assault rifles at home.

I'm not terribly surprised that this would happen in rural Oregon. I have family who live near where this happened, and spent several weeks there earlier this year. People there are obsessed with guns -- everyone has a complete armoury at home. The gun obsession, which when I was growing up consisted of having a bb gun or a rifle for deer hunting, has just gone completely bonkers in the US where people now have entire collections of assault rifles at home.

What is the definition of "assault rifle"?

According to wikipedia, I should have actually written "assault weapon" rather than "assault rifle", but then the article was undoubtedly written by some gun nut American who actually thinks knowledge of such distinctions is an acceptable basis for self-worth.

I was looking at some videos on youtube last week or how to choose, operate, dismantle and clean various ''assault rifles"? They like their guns.

They like their guns but they also like to give lots of SSRI's to people under 25 and that seems to be a common thread in mass shootings over there.

They like their guns but they also like to give lots of SSRI's to people under 25 and that seems to be a common thread in mass shootings over there.

It probably doesn't help that the state is completely flooded with "medical" marijuana, with a pot outlet on every other corner. I saw some very unfortunate kids when I was there who were completely out of their minds on pot, and not in a good way, begging for change on the street or too spaced out to realize that they hadn't bathed in a week.

AFAIK, you can assault someone with any type of gun.

Not sure if the phrases "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" originate with the gun enthusiasts or come from media hype. I think the terms are pretty meaningless.

AFAIK, you can assault someone with any type of gun.

Not sure if the phrases "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" originate with the gun enthusiasts or come from media hype. I think the terms are pretty meaningless.

I think the phrase was coined by Hitler for the MP44 "Sturmgewehr", which translates to "assault rifle".

Generally the phrase denotes a select fire intermediate calibre rifle, i.e. cartridges smaller than WWII capable of firing single shots or fully automatic. In the US fully automatic weapons have been outlawed since 1986 (pre '86 can still be owned and traded) and the label is often applied to any military style rifle, i.e. single shot versions of the AR-15 or AK47, which might more correctly be termed "battle rifles".

Well Hitler coined the term I believe with his storm rifle. His was a rifle with a bullet mid way is size between a rifle and a sub machine gun. Allowed the soldiers to carry more ammunition and therefore more fire power (without losing too much accuracy).

EDIT: Beaten to it by Goat

"Assault weapon" is to the Second Amendment what "hate speech" is to the First. A meaningless SJW sound-bite used to create an emotional response.

"We're all in favour of freedom of speech, but no-one can be in favour of HATE SPEECH."

"We're all in favour of hunting, but no-one can be in favour of ASSAULT WEAPONS."

Note, of course, that the shooter choose to go murdering in a "Gun-Free Zone," thanks to the gun-grabbers (odd that they so rarely choose to go murdering in a "We're All Armed Zone"). And, given claims that he asked people their religion before killing them--and the almost complete lack of information from the police--it may turn out to be just another case of Muslim Workplace Violence. If he was a Gun-Crazed Republican, it would be all over the media by now.

And, given claims that he asked people their religion before killing them--and the almost complete lack of information from the police--it may turn out to be just another case of Muslim Workplace Violence. If he was a Gun-Crazed Republican, it would be all over the media by now.

It seems rather unlikely, unless he's a recent convert: (LINK)

According to US reports, Mercer was born in the UK before moving to the US at a young age. He was the son of Ian Bernard Mercer, a restaurant manager who lives in Tarzana, California, and Laurel Margaret Harper.

Not sure about this one, but that did seem to be a common factor in many of the school massacres of recent decades. Of course, the argument goes that people who are prescribed SSRIs typically have mental health problems to begin with. For me, this line of reasoning falls down once you look into the scandals at many of the pharma companies where they witheld or otherwise tried to suppress evidence of suicidal/homicidal ideations that emerged from the drug trials. He who pays the piper... etc.

What was the purpose of asking the adult students to state their religion?

The shooter had IRA sympathies.

He was a loon, probably on prescription meds...there are no reasons why that will make sense to a sane man.

It's shocking just how many kids and young people are on mind altering medication in the States. Symptoms of Puberty such as rebelliousness and moodiness are quickly labeled as mental illness over there and the parents are more than happy to pump their kids with crap like Prozac and even experimental medications. I read an article maybe 5 years ago that stated that 1 in 4 kids in the USA are now on some form of medication for mental illness. These medications were made for fully developed adults and now that we have had a generation of kids that have essentially been experimented on we are now seeing what these drugs do to a developing brain.

Sure, irresponsible gun owners letting these kids get a hold of firearms is part of the problem but it is not really the root of it. I think there needs to be an overhaul of the medical industry over there and also the education system as it is often the Teachers that encourage the Parents to start medicating their children.

"Assault weapon" is to the Second Amendment what "hate speech" is to the First. A meaningless SJW sound-bite used to create an emotional response.

"We're all in favour of freedom of speech, but no-one can be in favour of HATE SPEECH."

"We're all in favour of hunting, but no-one can be in favour of ASSAULT WEAPONS."

Note, of course, that the shooter choose to go murdering in a "Gun-Free Zone," thanks to the gun-grabbers (odd that they so rarely choose to go murdering in a "We're All Armed Zone"). And, given claims that he asked people their religion before killing them--and the almost complete lack of information from the police--it may turn out to be just another case of Muslim Workplace Violence. If he was a Gun-Crazed Republican, it would be all over the media by now.

Americans love to make politics out of language. Hence the number of liberals condemning liberals in a country founded on liberalism.

Assault rifle has been a term as long as I have been alive. It's not new. It was coined by the military, and military enthusiasts decades ago.

Of course the gun manufacturers now regret their label, so have launched a pr campaign to blame it on the gun control lobby.

Credulous idiots will accept any kind of propaganda, provided the people spoon feeding it to them look rich enough. Crumbs from the table? Oh thank you master.

Presumably we should be calling them love sticks?

As if the name matters.

You can kill someone with a knife. Or a stick. The military, on the other hand, prefer assault rifles. 'Cos they're more effective.

I read an article maybe 5 years ago that stated that 1 in 4 kids in the USA are now on some form of medication for mental illness. These medications were made for fully developed adults and now that we have had a generation of kids that have essentially been experimented on we are now seeing what these drugs do to a developing brain.

It's now 1 in 4 boys in the UK will have been prescribed medicine for mental illness by the age of 16. Total madness. I had a thread about it a while ago.