House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

San Francisco's Bunk-Bed Room Sharing Housing Crisis

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/09/im-obsessed-with-san-franciscos-bunk-bed-craigslist-ads/407281/

It has come to my attention that adults are voluntarily sharing rooms with people they are not romantically involved with. That’s right: People over the age of 12 are sleeping in bunk beds, splitting their rooms and lives and forsaking all privacy.

Group houses are one thing, but we are talking group bedrooms here. Renters are living a nightmare in order to pursue their dreams. This is happening in real time in the Bay Area.

Snake people in my office tell me that adult room-shares are everywhere, and I’m just too out of touch to know about them. Interns on Capitol Hill sleep more than one to a room, for example.

There are boarding houses for people returning from the Peace Corps, that sort of thing. Their landlords must be advertising these vacancies on the Snapperchat, because I am sure not seeing them.

But on Craigslist—the service that plain-old young adults use to find studios, one-bedroom apartments, and rooms in group houses all over the country—it’s not hard to find honest-to-goodness listings for bunk-bed shares, if you know where to look.

They are sprinkled throughout the Bay Area like crumbs falling from the master’s table.......

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

This "boomer" used to share rooms back in the mid sixties it was considered normal.Who could afford a room of their own when a shared room was 25% of take home pay.