House Price Crash Forum
tomandlu

Housing - Simon Jenkins In The Guardian

He in turns says there's perfectly sufficient property available and then makes suggestions as to how we can build more in a way that allows existing property owners to get richer and sate the house building need that isn't really there.

I can agree with a couple of his points and disagree with a couple of others

Generally it is normal newspaper fodder - lightweight and trying to be provocative

He's basically right. Building NEVER ANYWHERE brought down prices. Concreting the country will not bring HPC nor will it help society. All it will do is help developers, banks etc and F the legacy we leave.

Of course he left out #banHTB as he doesn't want the obvious and needed policy reversal. BECAUSE he loves the price of his own house and he knows #banHTB will actually reduce HPs. I've tweeted him on that score. @simonjenkins4

Edited by Killer Bunny

He's basically right. Building NEVER ANYWHERE brought down prices. Concreting the country will not bring HPC nor will it help society. All it will do is help developers, banks etc and F the legacy we leave.

Of course he left out #banHTB as he doesn't want the obvious and needed policy reversal. BECAUSE he loves the price of his own house and he knows #banHTB will actually reduce HPs. I've tweeted him on that score. @simonjenkins4

He supports housing benefit too. And says people building extra storeys on their houses is more economically efficient than building new houses.

He supports housing benefit too. And says people building extra storeys on their houses is more economically efficient than building new houses.

surely that depends on what they do with the extra space created?

He supports housing benefit too. And says people building extra storeys on their houses is more economically efficient than building new houses, proclaiming lack of infrastructure as the objection to the latter but not the former, strangely.

You keep making this claim. IT IS NOT TRUE!!! (I see your all caps and I raise you an exclamation point!)

Spain, Ireland, California, Florida, Texas -- all housing bubbles where prices came down significantly due to increase supply. People in America (even in highly populated areas) live in enormous houses compared to the UK, and enjoy a much better quality of life, because building supply is allowed to respond to building demand.

Detached houses, spare rooms and gardens are the nation’s luxury. Britons had 1.5 rooms per person in 1981 and have 2.5 today, even as new housebuilding is declining.

That's mainly because they put a partition down the middle of the old room.

You have one room - partition - now you have two rooms.

It's just another soft soap article in a long line of soft soap articles solving little or nothing. Certainly getting nowhere near the problem of crazy house prices.

Edited by billybong

Ex-head of the national trust, and although some of what he says is true he consistently spins in terms of me, myself and I - but he'll eventually downsize to a coffin.

Or preferably an urn.

That's mainly because they put a partition down the middle of the old room.

You have one room - partition - now you have two rooms.

That phenomenon was actually worse in the 1980s than it is today.

I expect it was a legacy from an earlier era. When you had only a flimsy partition between your bed and the mother-in-law (and she of course had the window and light), your defence was a whole new genre of jokes.

Great! And one of his points is that buy-to-let is not evil as even the poorest 'rent' from the private market. Doesn't mention HB in his point there though hmmm.

You keep making this claim. IT IS NOT TRUE!!! (I see your all caps and I raise you an exclamation point!)

Spain, Ireland, California, Florida, Texas -- all housing bubbles where prices came down significantly due to increase supply. People in America (even in highly populated areas) live in enormous houses compared to the UK, and enjoy a much better quality of life, because building supply is allowed to respond to building demand.

You mean like this?

America has more land. And lots more rich people, due not least to a culture that doesn't believe in penalising hard work and enterprise.

That phenomenon was actually worse in the 1980s than it is today.

I expect it was a legacy from an earlier era. When you had only a flimsy partition between your bed and the mother-in-law (and she of course had the window and light), your defence was a whole new genre of jokes.

You're right overcrowding did exist then as well (although maybe more localised) but I was just demonstrating how the statistics he mentioned (he claimed people had more rooms per person now) were better now purely by making things smaller. You could put two partitions in a one person room and then that one person would have three rooms. Three partitions and one person has four rooms. Has the standard of living increased.

One of the main complaints these days is hearing noise from neighbours due to their proximity - even with reasonably robust walls/partitions.

Also new UK houses are apparently the smallest in europe - possibly amongst the smallest in the world (excluding japan?). I suspect that the many conversions of old buildings into new flats at least matches the compression of living areas for new houses as well - just by increased partitioning.

Edited by billybong

Here we go again.

The common denominator was not building as I have also pointed out many times. It was and is easy lending. As soon as credit crunch came THAT was when HPC came.

I trust you have that clear now. It really is simple.

Edited by Killer Bunny

The Guardian have been nitpicking at Corbybn using the same strawman arguments as the Torygraph and others. Maybe they are only left wing when it suits them Si 1? HPI mania must be universal.

Edited by Assume The Opposite

You mean like this?

America has more land. And lots more rich people, due not least to a culture that doesn't believe in penalising hard work and enterprise.

San Francisco property is in a complete bubble right now, but 45 minutes away there's plenty of less expensive housing (just not cool enough for the hipsters though).

Here we go again.

The common denominator was not building as I have also pointed out many times. It was and is easy lending. As soon as credit crunch came THAT was when HPC came.

I trust you have that clear now. It really is simple.

The credit cycle is always going to happen one way or another. It's a given. The question is whether or not house prices will adjust or not given the credit cycle, and with an increase in house building that adjustment can be much larger than would otherwise be.

We've not had credit CYCLES. We've had a credit era.

It's been called a super cycle, built around the life cycle of the baby boomer generation and their impact on interest and investment rates