House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the gardener

Log Cabin Base

I'll soon be putting a log cabin at the end of the garden. 4m by 3m. I'm looking at base options. Nearly half has already been concreted for the previous shed - so I've got an L-shaped base sitting about 10cm above ground level.

To finish it off I'd need about 1.5 cubic metres of concrete and about 30 sacks of hardcore. Mixing up that much concrete will be a hassle so I was thinking of going for a plastic interlocking grid base filled with pea shingle. It'll still need a hardcore sub-base but it should suffice.

What does the collective wisdom of HPC think?

Edit: Oh I forgot to add that if I leave it at 10cm above ground level then the cabin will likely exceed 2.5 metres in height. This is not good news as it will be within 2 metres of a boundary. I don't expect any complaints from neighbours but I don't want to have to dismantle and rebuild.

My 4x3m shed at the bottom of the garden is on a 600mm deep concrete ring beam, tapering into a 200 deep slab, all reinforced with mesh steel. I wanted to avoid subsistence.

My 4x3m shed at the bottom of the garden is on a 600mm deep concrete ring beam, tapering into a 200 deep slab, all reinforced with mesh steel. I wanted to avoid subsistence.

You put it on your vegetable patch?

:lol:

Not arf.

I'll soon be putting a log cabin at the end of the garden. 4m by 3m. I'm looking at base options. Nearly half has already been concreted for the previous shed - so I've got an L-shaped base sitting about 10cm above ground level.

To finish it off I'd need about 1.5 cubic metres of concrete and about 30 sacks of hardcore. Mixing up that much concrete will be a hassle so I was thinking of going for a plastic interlocking grid base filled with pea shingle. It'll still need a hardcore sub-base but it should suffice.

What does the collective wisdom of HPC think?

Edit: Oh I forgot to add that if I leave it at 10cm above ground level then the cabin will likely exceed 2.5 metres in height. This is not good news as it will be within 2 metres of a boundary. I don't expect any complaints from neighbours but I don't want to have to dismantle and rebuild.

With one of the compact belle hire mixers doesn;t take long at all. Did the fill for 3x3m base for mine with a mate easily in a morning's work, base well compacted MOT1 andd then just a shallow concrete fill, couple of inches. Rest the building bearers on roofing felt shims to get 100% level.

As for height, the 2.5m is based on the highest spot of land where the base is located, this may help a bit. 2.5M is quite high so if possible go for building design that will not breach this as technically and worst case you would have to move/dismantle.

My tuppence - let the neighbours know in advance and get them on-board. Invite them round and, over a cuppa, ask their advice. Even if they talk rubbish sound grateful as if they are the font of all knowledge when it comes to shed building.

With one of the compact belle hire mixers doesn;t take long at all. Did the fill for 3x3m base for mine with a mate easily in a morning's work, base well compacted MOT1 andd then just a shallow concrete fill, couple of inches. Rest the building bearers on roofing felt shims to get 100% level.

As for height, the 2.5m is based on the highest spot of land where the base is located, this may help a bit. 2.5M is quite high so if possible go for building design that will not breach this as technically and worst case you would have to move/dismantle.

Will the mixer go through a door? Everything has to go through the house or at best in garage, left turn through door to kitchen, right turn up length of kitchen, right turn down the L-shaped kitchen to end and finally left through patio doors.