House Price Crash Forum

First Dental Appointment Since 2003 Today.

longtomsilver

HOLA441

I had two gold inlays. I only have 1 now as I have a history of grinding my teeth and eventually the top tooth gave up and died. I just had it pulled.

My lower gold inlay is great. It's really smooth.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Not sure I entirely agree with that, Errol. I have not been to the dentist for nearly 30 years. None have fallen out. I still have the filling I had when I was 14. Bar the odd ache/soreness when the wisdom teeth were coming through and chipping one while cracking brazil nuts a couple of Xmas's ago - I've never had any problems.

Reckon I must have saved myself thousands. I do spend a decent amount of cash on electric toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss though.

It's not that expensive. Tend to go about every 8 months and the check up is about £18.80. I have had a crown that cost £204 on the NHS, otherwise very little, not had a filling for about ten years. If I had to guess the the aggregate cost of treatment over the last thirty years I would guess an average of £30 a year barring the crown year...probably one thousand pounds tops including the crown. It would have been thousands with Denplan...why do people do it ????

HOLA444

Also worth remembering that dental checks aren't just about teeth.

Dentists will also pick up on mouth cancers of all sorts if they are visible in the earlier stages. And mouth cancers of various sorts are actually having massive increases at the moment (probably due to heavier drinking etc).

HOLA445

Dentists will also pick up on mouth cancers of all sorts if they are visible in the earlier stages. And mouth cancers of various sorts are actually having massive increases at the moment (probably due to heavier drinking etc).

Probably slightly overdone compared to general health checks from the GDP, which are non existent. Basically if GPs were relieved from colds, winter vomiting bugs and other things that everybody gets as a matter of course then may be there would be time for the life saving stuff.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I had some dental treatment in 2010.

The bloke asked me "When was your last visit to the dentist..?"

"1979." I replied.

"No, seriously..." He said.

"1979." I replied. And that is the truth.

Avoid dentists for as long as you possibly can - they will treat themselves to the contents of your wallet faster and more effectively than any house, car or deluded scrapper burd..!

Mind you, my teeth do look like a Witch-doctor's necklace...

;)

XYY

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Can people quote my post and tell me if your fillings are in the top or lower teeth. I am doing some research on this and am interested. Mine for example are all lower teeth fillings.

Mostly upper jaw. Can't tell you which ones, mostly towards the back. My back teeth are pretty poor tbh. I consume a lot of sports nutrition which I guess does not help matters much.

HOLA4411

Can people quote my post and tell me if your fillings are in the top or lower teeth. I am doing some research on this and am interested. Mine for example are all lower teeth fillings.

A mix of both. Crowns are all at the top except one. I used to munch (as in bite and chew) lots of extra strong mints as a child which probably didn't help.

The teeth I have lost which have been crowned/bridged are exactly the same ones my father lost.

HOLA4412

It's not that expensive. Tend to go about every 8 months and the check up is about £18.80. I have had a crown that cost £204 on the NHS, otherwise very little, not had a filling for about ten years. If I had to guess the the aggregate cost of treatment over the last thirty years I would guess an average of £30 a year barring the crown year...probably one thousand pounds tops including the crown. It would have been thousands with Denplan...why do people do it ????

There is virtually zero NHS dentist coverage around here. An annual check up is considerably more than £30.

Appreciate that - and may be it'll come back to bite (!) me. But I do not drink or smoke.

HOLA4413

There is virtually zero NHS dentist coverage around here. An annual check up is considerably more than £30.

Appreciate that - and may be it'll come back to bite (!) me. But I do not drink or smoke.

Do you have any other sins? Confess! :(

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A mix of both. Crowns are all at the top except one. I used to munch (as in bite and chew) lots of extra strong mints as a child which probably didn't help.

Did you ever try eating a whole packet in one go? Not that I did, or anything - I mean, nobody would be that stupid, would they? Ahem.... :blink::unsure:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My NHS dentist is great. No monthly fee, check ups cost £10 and I got root canal treatment done for £100.

Why do your check ups cost £10 ? Mine are free* - and I assume you are in Scotland as well ?

* At source

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It's in case he bumps into Nicola Sturgeon in the fried mars bar shop.

You never know when that might happen!

I was reading the other day that in America it costs thousands of dollars for root canal treatment. I am glad I live in Scotland!

HOLA4423

None for me so far aged 43. My dad only has a few aged 84 (and he hasn't used toothpaste since they rationed it during WW2).

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

Did you ever try eating a whole packet in one go? Not that I did, or anything - I mean, nobody would be that stupid, would they? Ahem.... :blink::unsure:

That's exactly what I did, yes.

It adds an interesting complexion to the taste of absolutely everything eaten over the next couple of hours.

And an interesting challenge trying to eat certain things in later life.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4425

Archived