House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Ttrtr's Tagline,

Well I want to pose a question.

what is the average span of a BTL investment.

House prices have only been very high for about 4 years..

the one in six.. at what point of the housing market did they purchase their letting property..

My parents bought a shop.

With it came a nice two bed flat above it..

they have no mortgage and bought it in 1997..

they are breaking even ;)

so, TTRTR's with the average property having gained 140% in the last 7 years..

at what point so you think that the ""average"" landlord who is loosing money invested?

and the answer of unwise investments.

and by costs I mean a repayment mortgage..

Well I want to pose a question.

what is the average span of a BTL investment.

House prices have only been very high for about 4 years..

the one in six.. at what point of the housing market did they purchase their letting property..

My parents bought a shop.

With it came a nice two bed flat above it..

they have no mortgage and bought it in 1997..

they are breaking even ;)

so, TTRTR's with the average property having gained 140% in the last 7 years..

at what point so you think that the ""average"" landlord who is loosing money invested?

and the answer of unwise investments.

and by costs I mean a repayment mortgage..

I'm not sure that it's necessary to be quite so definitive about what constitutes losing money. If I buy a large slice of stock which pays a dividend and that divi is at least providing me with a net annual return in excess of what I could expect elsewhere then the quoted share price is academic to me. Similarly if I were a realist BTL landlord (which I am not) and the annual rent I was receiving was at least providing me with....etc as above then the capital price is still academic to me.

However if the rental isn't covering it doesn't look like its going to and I have little prospect of sufficient capital growth (in excess of debt servicing maintenance council tax etc) then I would have to think about baling out.

The prospect of not having the potential for capital growth might be as big a trigger to sell as is required. It's why people went in after all.

Not sure it is time-orientated concerning the purchase - you could put up prime property in certain areas right now and be a terribly incompetent landlord if you couldn't make the numbers work. You would be paying to be in that sector of the market though and the stakes are high.

The pages and pages of rental properties of all types in the Yorkshire property press suggests that there will be a few suffering "negative growth" in their bank accounts if not yet on their valuations.

The Fox

Fair answer.. and I do appreciatte that bullls still do anser here.

to that end I will make my position clear..

On a post earlier I saw people talking about areas up north where many are on the minimum wage and yet a two bed terraced house would be £80,000

and that made me think that perhaps the bulls have a point... Bears are moaning too much..

For in Devon the wages are no more then you see up north.. but a two bed terraced house would be

£170,000 minimum.

You cannot compare like for like in this boom.

devon has looked at 300% rises.. that has outstripped anything I will ever be able to match..

and I am a professional man. working as a network manager..

Not blowing my own trumpet.. its just what I do..

But the rises in some areas of the country do not appear to have been more then 50%..

Hard times, ..

But here the BTL Landlords with Interest only mortgages.. at today's prices..

they are loosing money..