House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lidl and Aldi do not sell cigarettes, but all the other major supermarkets do.

Profits at Lidl and Aldi are up

Profits at all the other supermarkets are down

Could this be cause and effect?

Could it be that now we have a choice, some people are choosing not to shop at places which sell cigarettes?

Whatever your thoughts are on the moral aspects of selling tobacco, given that we have had beef and horsemeat scandals, do you really trust buying food from an outfit which is perfectly happy to sell products that are scientifically proven to cause cancer?

Supermarkets also sell 10 packs (aimed at under 16's who cant afford a 20x pack on their pocket money) and in addition to selling branded cigarettes, they have cheaper High Tar own label cigarettes: Benington at Tesco, Kings Men at Co-op and Balmoral at Asda

Notice that supermarkets do not like to put their own name on the packet, suggesting their awareness that their close involvement in the tobacco trade sits uneasily with the healthy image and the "corporate social responsibility" they like to promote.

Could it be that now we have a choice, some people are choosing not to shop at places which sell cigarettes?

Whatever your thoughts are on the moral aspects of selling tobacco, given that we have had beef and horsemeat scandals, do you really trust buying food from an outfit which is perfectly happy to sell products that are scientifically proven to cause cancer?

Supermarkets also sell 10 packs (aimed at under 16's who cant afford a 20x pack on their pocket money) and in addition to selling branded cigarettes, they have cheaper High Tar own label cigarettes: Benington at Tesco, Kings Men at Co-op and Balmoral at Asda

Notice that supermarkets do not like to put their own name on the packet, suggesting their awareness that their close involvement in the tobacco trade sits uneasily with the healthy image and the "corporate social responsibility" they like to promote.

I imagine there are still more smokers than people who have moral objections to retailers who sell them. It seems far more likely that the compliance burden for selling cigarettes is now sufficiently onerous, and the profit margin so low, that new entrants simply don't bother.

Discounters don't sell baccy as (I think) it's not in the average basket, and it's potential margin is wafer thin. If they branched out into smaller C stores then they might extend their offering to baccy and newspapers.

Profits being up in the discounters is more to do with their operating costs and terms with suppliers I would think

What happened to "Proper" tobacconists? There was one in Southampton which would "make up" custom fags or pipeweed, for the enthusiast! And sold elaborate pipes!

If you think the public at large base their shopping decisions on (the lack of) tobacco retailing, I'll have some of whatever it is you're smoking.

:blink:

Yes, I'm happy to shop at places that treat its customers as adults who can make a choice about whether something is harmful to them or not and tailor their behaviour accordingly.

What happened to "Proper" tobacconists? There was one in Southampton which would "make up" custom fags or pipeweed, for the enthusiast! And sold elaborate pipes!

It's in the royal exchange. You can not have a smoke in there though. He also sells posh whisky too now.

And Oldham have got a tobacconist too.

If there's any link to tobacco it is more likely IMO to be..

Supermarkets sell tobacco

Discounters don't

People smoking e-cigs is up

People smoking real cigs is down

Therefore:

Supermarket are selling less

Discounters are selling more (relatively)

There's clearly a bit more to it than that though because (from memory) Sainsbury's market share just increased while Morisons and Tesco both dropped. No difference in tobacco policy between any of them.

There are still a few around. The Cegar and Snuff Parlour in Covent Garden, Davidoff's on Jermyn Street, and Fox's of St James in London. Also a good one on the High in Oxford. Pipesmoking is still fairly popular in the UK with about one million of us still puffing away.

The cig counter had three staff on it today at morrisons. Does it make enough money to make it worth while?

The cigarette counter usually has several functions.. cigs, national lottery, small transactions (flowers, sandwiches etc), customer enquiries.. Etc etc

actually aldi and lidl DO sell cigarettes, in europe.

they do "own brand" ones.

so it's nothing to do with morals like the anti-smoking crusade(see pub trade, apart from gastro-pubs, they are dead)

just straightforward price/quality of products.

the big 4 sell their "value" lines at comparable prices, but the quality is nowhere near comparable..it's dire.

actually aldi and lidl DO sell cigarettes, in europe.

they do "own brand" ones.

so it's nothing to do with morals like the anti-smoking crusade(see pub trade, apart from gastro-pubs, they are dead)

just straightforward price/quality of products.

the big 4 sell their "value" lines at comparable prices, but the quality is nowhere near comparable..it's dire.

The UK Aldi is part of the 'southern chain' a separate enterprise to the european stores that sell cigs

When the brothers split the company in 1960 over a dispute whether they should sell cigarettes,[11] they owned 300 shops with a cash flow of DM90 million yearly. In 1962, they introduced the name Aldi—short for Albrecht-Diskont. Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd have been financially and legally separate since 1966

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9729434/Billionaire-Aldi-heir-Berthold-Albrecht-dies-at-58.html

How come everybody knows so much about grocers? :blink:

How come everybody knows so much about grocers? :blink:

It's the european single market now!

You need to shop around for the best bargains, razor blades in germany, cream crackers in spain and tinned peaches in portugal. I may have driven 6000 miles to do the weekend shopping but at least I'm getting all the top deals.

Every time I go to Aldi I get served by a nice eastern european girl. Last time I went to tescos I got served by a religious type in a hijab.

Im sure its not policy, but i've yet to see any hijabs in aldi. I'd rather not get served by someone who thinks so little of me that if I see her hair i'm going to rape her, or her god tell's her me seeing her hair incites 'lustful thoughts' or whatever.

You can test her hypothesis: were "lustful thoughts" greater ( a ) with hijab girl, or ( b ) with nice East European girl?

Every time I go to Aldi I get served by a nice eastern european girl. Last time I went to tescos I got served by a religious type in a hijab.

Im sure its not policy, but i've yet to see any hijabs in aldi. I'd rather not get served by someone who thinks so little of me that if I see her hair i'm going to rape her, or her god tell's her me seeing her hair incites 'lustful thoughts' or whatever.

Does a scarf offend you?

Does a scarf offend you?

If worn for religious reasons.

Don't worry...I don't go ripping off religious garments, i'd simply rather not be surrounded by people who put their trust in blind faith. It completely defies reason in this day and age.

You can test her hypothesis: were "lustful thoughts" greater ( a ) with hijab girl, or ( b ) with nice East European girl?

maybe she only likes nookie with blokes in balaclava's??..some kind of face-covering fetish

i guess gimp suits and gas masks might suffice