House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Stuff In My Amazon Basket Went Up

I had a pair of trousers in my Amazon basket last week for about £28. I had a refund for another item last week which, along with some vouchers in my account, brought my credit on Amazon to just about £31.

Would you believe it but the day that I got my refund back the value of the trousers in my basket went up about £2.50 - basically to a few pence of the credit.

Call me paranoid but I think it is a heck of a coincidence that this happened.

It is strange how the pricing for some items seems to fluctuate over days and weeks - it's almost as if they're using some kind of pricing bot that scans other e-retailers and adjust the Amazon price to always be competetive, or to jack the price up if they are too low etc.

It is strange how the pricing for some items seems to fluctuate over days and weeks - it's almost as if they're using some kind of pricing bot that scans other e-retailers and adjust the Amazon price to always be competetive, or to jack the price up if they are too low etc.

The item in question is a pair of crahoppers' trousers - the same pair is sold by Amazon and 2 other retailers on the same page. You just decide to order from one. Bizarrely, they have all gone up in price so perhaps your bot theory is right.

https://www.repricerexpress.com/features/

https://sellerengine.com/sellery/

https://www.appeagle.com/

I wonder if you could game the system by setting yourself up as a seller on amazon, then when you want something dirt cheap, list it yourself at a really cheap price, wait for the competition to match and then buy it from them.

If I list some redundant stock for some giveaway price, just to get rid of it, it's always fun watching the other sellers pricing automatically dropping and seeing how long it takes them to realise.

I've put my own old DVDs on and priced them 25p below the competition to get shot and they have sometimes sold almost instantly.

Amazon and ebay sellers remain an enduring mystery, to me, of how they make any money but, could probably say the same for a ton of other 21st century businesses.

Can a supermarket change the price of stuff in your trolley between you picking it off the shelf and checking out?

I would have thought that under current legislation they would have to honour the price shown when you placed it in the basket.

Very few circumstances where a retailer can be forced to sell at a price prior to money being handed over and even then only if the party involved is a consumer and not a business.

Probably not many people have things in their supermarket basket for a week.

Can a supermarket change the price of stuff in your trolley between you picking it off the shelf and checking out?

I would have thought that under current legislation they would have to honour the price shown when you placed it in the basket.

No, all the time you hear about things wrongly priced online, people ordering the item and the company not honouring the price.

I suppose this is slightly different though as in you put it in the basket at X price, left it a few days and then found the price has gone up. Anyhow, I have removed the item and will see if it comes back down.

Some websites will track your cookies and increase the price next time you visit...maybe something similar here (but sounds different as i doubt amazon gives different prices to different people).

I think legally they can't change the price of things in an internet shopping basket without informing you of such.

Which is why you have shopping backets 'expiring' or the amazon 'X items have changed price' thing.

Some websites will track your cookies and increase the price next time you visit...maybe something similar here (but sounds different as i doubt amazon gives different prices to different people).

In the early days Amazon were caught out charging more to certain customers (new customers with no cookies saved got the cheaper price), they were given a slap on the wrist and promised not to do it again.

In the early days Amazon were caught out charging more to certain customers (new customers with no cookies saved got the cheaper price), they were given a slap on the wrist and promised not to do it again.

I remember quite vividly doing a price comparison on goods from Amazon first via an imac and then a PC and the prices were indeed higher browsing on a mac.

Edit: This was sometime ago and quite novel.

Wonder if Amazon increasing their minimum purchase for free standard delivery ( I'm not Prime ) is working against them.

I often leave small buys in my cart until the value exceeds £20, then if adding something else, will remove an item for next time if its a lot over - whereas in the past I just ordered everything regardless if over a tenner. Sometimes items are in the cart for weeks and sometimes I don't buy them at all.

Anyway, point being - whilst in the cart I often see items re-priced upwards and downwards - and receive an e-mail to let me know.

Wonder if Amazon increasing their minimum purchase for free standard delivery ( I'm not Prime ) is working against them.

I often leave small buys in my cart until the value exceeds £20, then if adding something else, will remove an item for next time if its a lot over - whereas in the past I just ordered everything regardless if over a tenner. Sometimes items are in the cart for weeks and sometimes I don't buy them at all.

Anyway, point being - whilst in the cart I often see items re-priced upwards and downwards - and receive an e-mail to let me know

Ditto. The £20 delivery has seen my orders from Amazon drop considerably. In fact, I have gone back to ebay and begun ordering stuff from ebay for the first time in about £10 years.

I also used to order stuff from Amazon daily deals but, as they now not allow Prime customers 30 minutes to buy before the rest of us, I am not bothering to check out the daily deals either.

If I list some redundant stock for some giveaway price, just to get rid of it, it's always fun watching the other sellers pricing automatically dropping and seeing how long it takes them to realise.

I've put my own old DVDs on and priced them 25p below the competition to get shot and they have sometimes sold almost instantly.

Amazon and ebay sellers remain an enduring mystery, to me, of how they make any money but, could probably say the same for a ton of other 21st century businesses.

I'm especially intrigued by cheap book sellers like World of Books. They often sell a book for a few pence plus postage ... how on earth is that viable?

I'm especially intrigued by cheap book sellers like World of Books. They often sell a book for a few pence plus postage ... how on earth is that viable?

Me too. I'm guessing they trade massive volumes and make money on the postage charge.

Me too. I'm guessing they trade massive volumes and make money on the postage charge.

I'd say that was it, when I sold my extensive CD collection (3000+) most went for 1p - 99p. But I'd make nearly £1 on the postage. Jiffy bags for CD's were something like 15p when bought in bulk and the postage at the time was 2 first class stamps. I can't remember the exact figures but I think you got £1.50 for postage and It would cost me around 62p per item to send.

If you did it on a massive scale then you could get the packaging cost to a minimum.

I suspect there is a massive surplus of books at various charity shops, wouldn't surprise me at all if they sold in bulk along the lines of 50p a Kg and places like World of books take on the burden of getting rid.

They deal in huge quantities of books - most of the time they get into a "race to the bottom" with fellow operators all lusing the automatic pricing software. But then when they come across a rare book not being sold elsewhere they can maintain te 50 or 60 pound price tag.

He picked “40 weird books” from the brick-and-mortar inventory and threw them up for sale online. The next morning he took a look at his page and was astonished to find he had an order: a book on the history of cattle in Frederick County, Maryland – sold to a farmer in England for $45. “We couldn’t sell that book in Frederick County for $45,” Roberts reflects, “but a guy in England who raises that kind of cattle wanted it.” The experience “was like the proverbial light going off in my head: we’re international now”.

Penny books, of course, don’t seem quite so lucrative as a $45 volume on cattle. “If you talked to me 10 years ago and said that you’d be selling books for a cent on the internet, I’d have said that’s impossible,” Roberts says. But there’s some money to be made for those who are, as he puts it, “extremely efficient”.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/14/selling-used-books-on-amazon-for-a-penny

And of course the sheer numbers mean they can still earn a little money when selling books for a penny

“All told,” Mike Ward concedes, “we only make a few cents on a penny book sale like that.” Now that hardly seems like much, true. “But keep in mind,” he adds, “that last year we sold 11.5m books.”

1p Book " Mega Sellers " now have to compete with "fulfilled by amazon" (FTB) sellers.

They sell below 1p ie £2.80 or less (inc postage)

As a small seller I would never do this, as I don't want an uber ruthless corp like amazon having me by the short & curlies with my stock in their warehouse at expensive storage & handling costs.

Many Az book sellers have survived by having cheap storage in attic / garage etc.