House Price Crash Forum
GAL BEAR

Do Any Of You Live In Bedford ? I Counted Over

:blink:

Mr. Gal Bear and I were driving to Northampton for his Christmas do !

Anyway, we had to go thru Bedford town.

As we went through I noted to Mr Gal Bear "Crumbs, quite a few Ea's down this high street...."

I started counting 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ......... all in a line,

then we turned slightly round the bend of the high street .....

11,12,13,14,15,16...........down the road a bit further , 17,18,19,20 .....

In the end I gave up counting!

Mr. Gal Bear said I must have counted wrong, but I can't have been far of the mark.

We saw no other 'shops' all down this road, no cafe's, no butchers, no florists, no newsagents!

What the hell is going on? How do these people get permission to take over a whole town?

I would not mind but they were all fully staffed, but they had no buggers in there apart from staff!

I asked Mr Gal Bear "How do they make enough money to keep going?"

He said "They only have to sell one house and the comission probably keeps them going for while.

Can someone living in the Bedford area confirm to me that I saw what I think I saw please cos I feel like

I am going mad.

All I can say is that having over 20 E'as in one Town must be killing that towns' community- and its

a bloody shame and shouldn't be allowed.

RANT OVER

<_<:blink:

Edited by GAL BEAR

I did the same in Maidenhead recently, there are 12 on one 50m street. There are lots more in the town and plenty in the surrounding villages. I am personally surprised there is so little consolidation going on, there are few industries that support that level of competition on the high street. It used to be phone shops but some of those have now closed in Maidenhead.

I can't see it being sustanable, whatever you think is going to happen to prices it seems pretty clear that volume is going to be down, and its volume; not price that really matters to estate agents - even if they sometimes don't seem to understand that themselves.

I did the same in Maidenhead recently, there are 12 on one 50m street. There are lots more in the town and plenty in the surrounding villages. I am personally surprised there is so little consolidation going on, there are few industries that support that level of competition on the high street. It used to be phone shops but some of those have now closed in Maidenhead.

I can't see it being sustanable, whatever you think is going to happen to prices it seems pretty clear that volume is going to be down, and its volume; not price that really matters to estate agents - even if they sometimes don't seem to understand that themselves.

YES, Would be interesting to see in a years time how many are still there! :ph34r:

volume is going to be down, and its volume; not price that really matters to estate agents - even if they sometimes don't seem to understand that themselves.

I think they understand it pretty well. My wifes best friend is half way thorugh her training as an EA. She say's it is widely expected that the, ahem, industry will loose several thousand jobs in the next few years. I dont think it's a secret.

mostly replaced by cash convertors etc......

Pawnbrokers are doing brisk business as are the pound shops. Add in coffee shops and charity shops and that's all British high streets are good for.

Half a million quid p/a for a shop on Oxford Street or a shop in Bluewater for 150k?? Shopping centres and retail parks are the future.

Pawnbrokers are doing brisk business as are the pound shops. Add in coffee shops and charity shops and that's all British high streets are good for.

Half a million quid p/a for a shop on Oxford Street or a shop in Bluewater for 150k?? Shopping centres and retail parks are the future.

....start up your own soup business,because there's going to be lots of soup kitchens springing up to cater for the poor destitute former landlords who didn't realise that the WHOLE LOT gets repo'd,not just the "investments"

in their case I would create an "on the house" special and pee in it.puree a few leeks and some winter veg.....mmmmmm.....lovely!!!

Edited by oracle

Sorry; I think --at least for the first part of the crash-- the EAs will be lapping it up as people frantically sell. Surely they'll make money (even with smaller commissions) as there will be greater volume?

A market top is preceeded by a surge in volume then a lull. A few unlucky people pay the top prices. In the stockmarket it's seen as gapping up, ie. low volume and low supply where the price of a stock jumps as the few buyers in the market chase the sparse stock to its peak. Somebody has to end up being the one who does this, it's the way of the market, it's inevitable and they usually pay ridiculous prices as we are seeing now and have been seeing.

Then when it turns people twig and pile back in to sell. So volumes should start to surge when the crash gets under way as people chase the market down and try to limit the damage by downsizing etc. Fear is stonger than greed and the EAs will benefit from both. Until the profit margins/volumes are too small and they go pop. I guess badly run EAs would go out of business at the top and bottom's of markets as the volume isn't there to support bad management?

You sure thats how it works? In stock market crashes lots of people sell because their stop losses kick in. The same dosen't happen in housing, as far as I understand it prices can crash with very few transactions.

Property is even more confusing because prices don't crash across the board anyway. Property is always local, in a down market as much as an up market.

From my memory of past corrections they tend to start off with a period of Nothing Selling for months or a year, until people start to realise that the prices must drop.

Any FTB or trader upper (is that a real phrase?) is going to wait in the expectation of lower prices later.

Ask yourself: would you buy a house right now?

There might be a mad rush of sellers - but the EAs won't be able to get their commissions because they won't get the sales. They are going to be doing a whole lot of work for nothing.