House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Running Shoes

I've running regularly since April as an effort to keep fit and shed a few lbs.

The weight reduction has gone nice an steady, having shifted a stone (though still clocking in at 15 stone.

Anyway, I was finding my 5k time was flat-lining at about 27 minutes and my 10K at 1 hours. Part of what was holding me back was minor repetitive strain type injuries, essentially I was finding my cardio vascular could go faster, but if I pushed too much I'd be limping about for a week. (I think this is a symptom of being just over 40).

Anyway, having bought several types/makes of running shoes - I've just got a pair of Hoka trainers. These are unusual in that they have very cushioned soles, they are a bit wider and much more platformed than normal running shoes, but having been out in them a few times I've been really impressed. My last 5k run, I was able to knock the first 2km out in 8 min 45 sec without any injury, previously this would definitely have crippled me for a couple of weeks. I also did the 5k in just sub 25 mins, which at least get me out of the trailing group in official runs.

Anyway, my summary is if you are trying to get fit and especially if you are trying to lose a bit of weight, but find running high impact do look at your choice of running shoes in detail.

I've running regularly since April as an effort to keep fit and shed a few lbs.

The weight reduction has gone nice an steady, having shifted a stone (though still clocking in at 15 stone.

Anyway, I was finding my 5k time was flat-lining at about 27 minutes and my 10K at 1 hours. Part of what was holding me back was minor repetitive strain type injuries, essentially I was finding my cardio vascular could go faster, but if I pushed too much I'd be limping about for a week. (I think this is a symptom of being just over 40).

Anyway, having bought several types/makes of running shoes - I've just got a pair of Hoka trainers. These are unusual in that they have very cushioned soles, they are a bit wider and much more platformed than normal running shoes, but having been out in them a few times I've been really impressed. My last 5k run, I was able to knock the first 2km out in 8 min 45 sec without any injury, previously this would definitely have crippled me for a couple of weeks. I also did the 5k in just sub 25 mins, which at least get me out of the trailing group in official runs.

Anyway, my summary is if you are trying to get fit and especially if you are trying to lose a bit of weight, but find running high impact do look at your choice of running shoes in detail.

Await the ccc response to run barefoot over rocks "cos that's nature and good 'n stuff"*

*like cancer and appendicitis

apparently

Love my Saucony running shoes. Stopped my feet blistering and, while they are a stability variant, it's almost like you aren't wearing shoes.

second that. Switched a few yeard back after repetitive shin splint issues with other brands. Omni's all the way for me.

Minimal shoes. Inov8 are great.

Got to take it slow though and let your legs used to the change.

'Cushioned' shoes are unnatural and wrong. They cause injuries.

My opinion. Maybe it's wrong. However as someone who used to wax lyrical about 'supportive' shoes and wore them for decades - I must have pretty decent results for completely changing my tune.

Await the ccc response to run barefoot over rocks "cos that's nature and good 'n stuff"*

*like cancer and appendicitis

apparently

I don't run barefoot and never have.

Mmmmm I like cushioned shoes, but do understand the point CCC has made on this before.

Just about to order another pair of Mizunos for the great south.

As to weight loss, surely better to accompany some dietary change to really lose weight and for it to stay off?

Mmmmm I like cushioned shoes, but do understand the point CCC has made on this before.

Just about to order another pair of Mizunos for the great south.

As to weight loss, surely better to accompany some dietary change to really lose weight and for it to stay off?

Yes - running with extra stones cant be good for your health. If you are say 2-3 stone overweight - that could be the equivalent of me going out for a run with 20 kilos strapped on your back !!