House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Student Union Bans "racist Sombreros"

Student union officials at the University of East Anglia have banned a Mexican restaurant from handing out sombreros to students, branding the marketing stunt racist.

The high-crowned straw hats had been given to students at a freshers’ fair in Norwich by staff from Pedro’s Tex Mex Cantina, a Mexican-themed restaurant in the city.

Union officials took them away from new students, according to reports, and told restaurant workers the hats breached a policy forbidding stallholders from handing out materials including “discriminatory or stereotypical imagery”.

More Here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/29/uea-student-union-bans-racist-sombreros

Lets see if they can find a single Mexican who is actually offended by this.

My wife thinks they're a bunch of plonkers (yes, she's Mexican).

My favourite from the comments:

A Mexican restaurant caught appropriating Mexican culture.

When an assumption leads you inextricably to a ludicrous result, you should abandon that assumption. This is the reductio ad absurdum of political correctness.

Guest eight

I asked a Mexican if he was offended by this kind of stereotyping, he replied "¡Ay, caramba!"

I'd find giving out "flat caps" to Southerners, a bit weird. No whippet, no hat (On Ilkley moor)! :wacko:

Do you think the Daily Mail and Guardian actually pay the NUS to come with these w*nky prohibitions just so they can churn out this sort of click bait article ?

As some of the comments on the story rightly state, the very fact British student union officials at the UEA assume they have the right to 'protect Mexican culture from appropriation' is itself both fundamentally patronising and inherently racist. In fact far more so than wearing a Sombero provided by some themed Tex Mex restaurant. It is just another example of the 'white mans burden' in drag.

I'm outraged. I feel the restaurant has failed to engage our vibrant multicultural society and am angry that my Muslim Mexican sisters of strength weren't represented with their burqua-sombrero that empowers them

:lol::lol:

It reminds me of when PC types started banning the term 'brainstorming' because it was supposed to be 'offensive' to epileptics - eventually the British Epileptic Society (or whatever) had to issue a statement saying there was nothing wrong with the term!

Is there any kind of coherent argument about why "cultural appropriation" is a bad thing? I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but I don't see how attempts to prevent "cultural appropriation" aren't virtually indistinguishable from attempts to impose racial/cultural "purity".

I think they're just bitter that East Anglia's stereotype is of the terminally inbred totipalmate ;)

That's just a cover for the UEA's climate unit in their efforts to genetically engineer humans adapted for their modelled environment.

Hmmm. A mate was telling me about a party he was at recently. The host has hired dwarves, and each dwarf was wearing a Mexican outfit with the obligatory sombrero. The sombreros were full of corn chips and dips, and the dwarves circulated around the room. As each Sombrero was emptied, the dwarf went back to the kitchen for a reload.

East Anglia Poly student union would have had kittens when faced with that....

Is there any kind of coherent argument about why "cultural appropriation" is a bad thing? I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but I don't see how attempts to prevent "cultural appropriation" aren't virtually indistinguishable from attempts to impose racial/cultural "purity".

The whole PC notion of a multi cultural society where each group exists in its own defined cultural sphere sounds remarkably like apartheid to me. Maybe the NUS at UEA would like each group to wear a little label or badge as in Nazi Germany so the can identify cultural transgressions. This loathing for cultural miscegenation sounds simply racist as indeed does the idea that certain people somehow have the right to appoint themselves guardians of other peoples cultures.

Where can I buy a "racist" Mexican hat?

Hmmm. A mate was telling me about a party he was at recently. The host has hired dwarves, and each dwarf was wearing a Mexican outfit with the obligatory sombrero. The sombreros were full of corn chips and dips, and the dwarves circulated around the room. As each Sombrero was emptied, the dwarf went back to the kitchen for a reload.

East Anglia Poly student union would have had kittens when faced with that....

That sounds like a great party.