House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
euro20

How Much Value Does A Garage Add To A Property

Any idea on the cost of constructing a detached garage (roughly 3.5m wide x 6.5m long). Is the outlay likely to increase the value of the property by at least the cost of construction?

It's a really difficult one. In my experience a lot of buyers these days don't prioritise a garage at all and will pay very little extra whilst others have it near the top of their list of requirements.

I live in a town centre location in outer London where it is difficult to park on the street, but even here, garages seem to add very little to the (rental) value of a flat. I wouldn't get a flat without a garage, but a lot of people who have them park on the road and probably make no use of it at all.

That said, when they do come up for sale (sometimes £50k for a single garage) they seem to sell really quickly.

In your position, I'd say the relevant question is how long you are planning to stay there after building the garage. If the Tory 'economic miracle' continues, the garage alone will be worth more in five years than the whole house is now!

Surely it depends a lot on how easy parking is in the area, and whether there's any other parking space at the property. Where parking is difficult, a garage can be like gold dust. And even if people don't use them for their cars, they can swallow an awful lot of other stuff, as well as bikes, tools, etc. Only you do need a very good lock.

Surely the primary concern if you are looking at an outlay such as that should be whether you need a garage or not, not if it will give you a return?

If you are storing a motorbike / car etc in it, what impact does that have on insurance premiums, servicing costs, wear and tear vs being left out in the elements. Have you considered that against the bottom line?

It depends on the garage in terms of cost, I would only build a double skin garage with slate or concrete tile roof and for the size you mention that would cost about 20k before planning, building control and architect fees if you ate getting a good builder in. I would be looking fir a garage or space for one in any house if mine. I know a friend of mine had a garage build for 7k and he seems happy enough with it but I doubt it could be converted to living space for example but us fine for tools and the car.

Just like with houses the price is all about the land + planning permission.

If you have a plot of land and get the planning permission for a garage, that will add all the additional value without having to physically build anything.

If you then build a £5K garage on it, you will be lucky to add an additional 4K in value.

If you know a street where some houses have and some haven't, check their rateable values on the lpsni website to compare.

Thanks for all the responses. Checked and there's approx £15k difference on LPS for similar properties with a garage. Parking is not a problem as its a detached house with driveway parking - but I would just like a proper garage built in a style that will match the house rather than a shed. Although it would be used mainly as a store for all my junk, I just think a house looks incomplete if it doesn't have a garage (silly I know!).

As it would be a detached garage I wouldn't have any plans to convert it to living space in the future, so don't think I would need a cavity wall, just a single block wall. I would be happy enough doing some of the donkey work and organising the individual trades. I had an expectation that I could build this for around £8k (northern Ireland rates). From the LPS ratings that would be a good investment - but it would be good to hear if this is achievable and if anyone else could provide details of what they have paid for simialr size garages in NI.

On a new build development the cost of an additional garage is between £7k and £12k, depending on it being a single skin tool shed to a cavity wall, plastered convertible structure. You will get extra for the house when you go to sell it but perhaps not the full cost. It other cases it may make all the difference in a sale if the buyer is looking a property with a garage.

in my housing estate which was built in 1970s every house had garage or carport. Problem is that the cars are now wider than the garage so no use them to keep the cars in.

some have been converted to extra side room,

some used as a garage dumping ground also know as shed,

ones a workshop.

Some have garage underneath and two rooms above.

some have extra room underneath and two rooms above.

Mine as been converted in to second living room and wash room at back. I would also have preferred it to be garage and to use it as shed and easy access to front of the house with garden stuff.