House Price Crash Forum
Across the Pond

South West Sellers

Three of my friends are moving this year all late 30s, sorry for being a little vague with the locations;

1. London commuter town - Sold his 2 bed terrace for close to 300k to move up to a house close to 800k.
  2. M3 commuter town - Selling his average 80s 3 bedder, on the market, bidding war pushing it towards 350k
  3. Dorset/Hants town - Bought his 3 bed house in 2011, no garage for circa 200k did it up, had it valued yesterday for 350k.

I live in the states, and when I see this I wonder if I’m forever priced out of my homeland.

Just been offered a job in Midwest. Better money, bigger job, more potential long term and lots of other positives.

But I'd rather not live in the midwest.......

I know there are threads about life in US, but any insights, across the pond?

What state?

Compared to where I live in New England its cheaper. My friends just moved from Bryan Ohio and sold there 3 bed house for $20k, they had just spent that on a new kitchen and renovations too. That’s in a smaller town, the cities are more expensive but not stupid like back home.

The killer is health Insurance if you have a family or you’re older. Taxes are generally lower so it can even out. Lots of deductions.

I hear good things about some of the larger cities like Columbus and cincinnatti etc. Depending on your circumstances it could be an adventure for a few years, the british accent still opens some doors.

Typical US companies give you 10-15 days paid holiday, I’d try and negotiate that up.

You’ll miss Pavements, british supermarkets and the mild british weather (I’ll never get used to the humidity).

Fortune favors the bold!! Good luck.

Three of my friends are moving this year all late 30s, sorry for being a little vague with the locations;

• London commuter town - Sold his 2 bed terrace for close to 300k to move up to a house close to 800k.
  • M3 commuter town - Selling his average 80s 3 bedder, on the market, bidding war pushing it towards 350k
  • Dorset/Hants town - Bought his 3 bed house in 2011, no garage for circa 200k did it up, had it valued yesterday for 350k.
I live in the states, and when I see this I wonder if Im forever priced out of my homeland.

The London bubble is just mental. Is the first one gone through or stc?

What state?

Compared to where I live in New England its cheaper. My friends just moved from Bryan Ohio and sold there 3 bed house for $20k, they had just spent that on a new kitchen and renovations too. That’s in a smaller town, the cities are more expensive but not stupid like back home.

The killer is health Insurance if you have a family or you’re older. Taxes are generally lower so it can even out. Lots of deductions.

I hear good things about some of the larger cities like Columbus and cincinnatti etc. Depending on your circumstances it could be an adventure for a few years, the british accent still opens some doors.

Typical US companies give you 10-15 days paid holiday, I’d try and negotiate that up.

You’ll miss Pavements, british supermarkets and the mild british weather (I’ll never get used to the humidity).

Fortune favors the bold!! Good luck.

Thanks. It's East Coast, but cheap area. What are property taxes like?

#1 sold, as he priced it competitively and wanted to move quickly. He'd been saving for years, and feared he would lose out on his new house. The Prices are unbelievable. Horrible little run down properties for prices out of reach for even the average joe.

How long before we hear about Junior doctors in surrey living in garden sheds!

My property tax is 2.5% the assessed house price.

Thanks. Everyone trying to talk me out of going to the States. But I have to say, looking at the property you can get there is eye watering. I could treble my current floor-space and garden for what my current UK house is worth.

Thanks. Everyone trying to talk me out of going to the States. But I have to say, looking at the property you can get there is eye watering. I could treble my current floor-space and garden for what my current UK house is worth.

You could try Canada - its like the States but with public healthcare and without the guns. Outside of the major cities you'd be amazed how much property you get for your money.

I'd be tempted to rent out the uk house, just to hedge your bets.

You're right Bearwithasorehead, my 30 year old European friend just bought a house here and he said its the kind of house back home he could only afford before he retires.