House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Anti-Gentrification Mob Attacks Hipster Cereal Cafe In London

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250896/Cereal-offender-Hipster-hating-mob-attacks-novelty-cafe-anti-gentrification-protests-turn-violent.html

Hipster-hating mob of hundreds attacks trendy independent cereal cafe as 'anti-gentrification' protests in East London turn violent

A 200-strong mob of anti-capitalists attacked a boutique cafe in London which serves only cereal daubing it in paint.

The 'F*** Parade' organisers claimed the demonstration was designed to protest against unaffordable housing in east London.

According to the Metropolitan Police 'an element' within a group of several hundred people started throwing missiles and caused criminal damage to several shops. One officer was injured when he was struck on the head by a bottle.

lol at their twitter feed....getting ragged for calling it 'hate crime'

Everyone seems like a bunch of twats. The anti-gentrification lot, most of whom probably moved to the area a year ago after finishing Cambridge or something. The cereal twats for saying stuff like 'were only a small business' as if some magical line is crossed and places with more than a couple of outlets are fair game.

Glad im not a Hipster

I don't think its pre-determined...grow a silly beard. always button your shirt all the way up, tie your hair back (or wear a hat if bald) and you're there. I guess a withdrawn mental attitude and inability to ever look excited also helps.

Not sure what a hipster is, but I'll bet most of the mob are posher than they claim

The owners of a cereal cafe in east London have described their terror at being targeted by a group of anti-gentrification protesters who daubed the word “scum” on the cafe’s window.

Alan and Gary Keery, who own Cereal Killer Cafe in Shoreditch – which has been seen by some as a symbol of inequality in east London – described how an angry mob with torches and pigs’ heads gathered outside their premises on Saturday evening.

Footage of the attack filmed from inside the shop and obtained by the Guardianshows a large group of masked protesters shouting outside the shopfront. One man daubs graffiti on the window while another is seen holding a burning stick.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/27/shoreditch-cereal-cafe-targeted-by-anti-gentrification-protesters

Surprised this story has not been posted on here yet as it plays on so many HPC and other themes

Are we to sympathise with the locals who say £3,50 for a bowl of cereals is too much given that people are not forced to eat there and you can buy a whole packet of cereals and 2 litres of milk for that price in a supermarket if you want ?

Is this type of business a cause of gentrification or is it just responding to a process that is already underway ?

Class war claim to that

"Our communities are being ripped apart – by Russian oligarchs, Saudi Sheiks, Israeli scumbag property developers, Texan oil-money twats and our own home-grown Eton toffs.

So why are they attacking a business run by a couple of supposedly working class Belfast boys rather than burning down the Saudi owned owned hotels and mansions in Park Lane and Chelsea ? Are they not just echoing the type of anti-Irish prejudice that was common in London up to the 1960s ? In what way is targeting certain businesses and ignoring others different from the practices of the Sturmabteilung before the Nazis came to power in 1930s Germany ?

On the other hand are not the owners of the business simply exploiting the event to garner lots of free publicity ?

What is really going on here ?

I visited Brick Lane for the first time a few weeks ago to go to Beigel Bake (absolute top quality!!), the rest of the place certainly was an odd mix.

Naturally house prices / rents insane for a place I basically didn't feel that safe in at 2pm.

I am sure if I met the F*** Police I would think they were hipsters.

Only people I feel sorry for are people who have lived there for many decades that just want a quite life.

I don't think its pre-determined...grow a silly beard. always button your shirt all the way up, tie your hair back (or wear a hat if bald) and you're there. I guess a withdrawn mental attitude and inability to ever look excited also helps.

I think a fixed gear bicycle is obligatory too.

I think you read too much into it. Back when I was at college in 2001 some outfit laid on buses from Cambridge to go down to the may day riots in London...even put flyers around college advertising a chance to smash up a macdonalds!

People like smashing things...generally if there are hundreds or thousands smashing things you have a better chance of getting away with it. I didnt go down to London, but a couple of mates did, they were as apolitical as anything, but liked the idea of smashing things.

I visited Brick Lane for the first time a few weeks ago to go to Beigel Bake (absolute top quality!!), the rest of the place certainly was an odd mix.

Naturally house prices / rents insane for a place I basically didn't feel that safe in at 2pm.

Only people I feel sorry for are people who have lived there for many decades that just want a quite life.

I understand why people get upset about unaffordable house prices but this is really a poxy little small independent business that is here today and gone tomorrow (as an ex tax man I can tell you the life expectancy of such ventures is normally less than 4 years). I suspect it just reflects what is happening in the wider property market in the area.Moreover, though hipsters are laughable you dont have to give them your cash. If you want to get a better deal go down the supermarket and buy a whole packet of cereals and 2 litres of milk for the same amount of money.

Maybe I am a bit of a conspiracy junky but I always suspect organisations like Class War are heavily infiltrated run by the security services who use them to direct genuine popular anger into pointless agitprop or attacking spurious or meaningless targets. In that way some of the pressure that builds up in society is vented in ways the real power structures are not threatened, I mean they claim

"Our communities are being ripped apart – by Russian oligarchs, Saudi Sheiks, Israeli scumbag property developers, Texan oil-money twats and our own home-grown Eton toffs.

but in response all they could do was throw paint at a corn flake shop. I mean how w*nk is that for a revolutionary act. It is hardly Lenin at the Finland Station.

As the cafe owners are from Belfast surely they must play the anti-Irish racism card now as that is always worth a few points in PC top trumps

I last went there in the 1970s when they had strippers in the pubs at lunch time

I last went there in the 1970s when they had strippers in the pubs at lunch time

I wasnt alive then, but for somewhere that is now apparently far more 'diverse' and what not, London looked a lot more gritty and interesting in the 70s and 80s...

I wasnt alive then, but for somewhere that is now apparently far more 'diverse' and what not, London looked a lot more gritty and interesting in the 70s and 80s...

As were every town I can think of. :blink:

I'm just old enough - the 70's were a really strange era, difficult to describe, the film recent "tinker tailor spy film" tried. Austere, very edgy and quite dangerous. Funny how this coincided with arguably the most true soclialist (and toally paranoid) prime minister we ever had in Wilson. when i started visiting friends in london in the late 70's there were lots of areas that were considered too dangerous to go anywhere near. First time i went by myself in 1981 i think i decided to walk from kings cross to baker street on the surface at dusk, prossies and used hyperdermics everywhere.

Strippers at lunchtime on a sunday in a pub/club was pretty standard fare in any working class area in the uk...

I have some family connections in London and Islington was most definitely not gentrified back then.

In fact it had a big local Irish community many of whom worked in the building industry.

As a recent BBC series has shown areas in London go up and down the social scale all the time which effects the price of property in them.

I am not sure it has much to do with the unaffordability of property in London in general which has much more to do with both a rising population and supply of credit recently. The fact that London is an investment bolt hole for a lot of hot and dirty money from round the world does not hep much either. I dont think the process is driven by corn flake cafes.

I have some family connections in London and Islington was most definitely not gentrified back then.

In fact it had a big local Irish community many of whom worked in the building industry.

As a recent BBC series has shown areas in London go up and down the social scale all the time which effects the price of property in them.

I am not sure it has much to do with the unaffordability of property in London in general which has much more to do with both a rising population and supply of credit recently. The fact that London is an investment bolt hole for a lot of hot and dirty money from round the world does not hep much either. I dont think the process is driven by corn flake cafes.

Islington was definitely not posh. Nor was Battersea or Clapham.