House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Homes For Heroes

There's been lots in the press about the DIY SOS doing up a load of houses for ex-servicemen.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manchester+M40+8AE/@53.4951958,-2.2074452,272m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487bb103fc5d67b5:0x264758c2d9416967

This is where the street is.
It's surrounded by industry and is probably not very quiet. I hope none of the ex-servicemen who will end up living there have any noise-triggered stress disorders.

he substantial project will ultimately see two entire Newton Heath streets refurbished, breathing new life into 62 inhabited properties and bringing 25 empty homes back into use. These will be adapted specifically for war heroes and their families, who can benefit from payment plans like discounted purchases, shared equity and rent-to-buy; plus an enhanced opportunity to reintegrate themselves back into society, something which many find difficult.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/property-and-business/a-home-for-heroes-bbc-veterans-village-underway

Can we have a diary note to check how many are still owned by ex-servicemen in the next 10 years. Can someone automate a 'sold price' to see how much they go for?

History:
Adactus Housing acquired empty homes on Canada Street and New Street in 2009.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-31927898

While the BBC can beg, borrow and emotionally inspire offers of skills and materials for its part (the local Army Reserve 75th Engineer Regiment have already committed a workforce and equipment), the cost for Haig is going to be between £35,000 and £45,000 per property and the City Council is intending to underwrite approximately half the £800,000 total needed from its empty homes fund.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/property-and-business/bbc-to-refurb-empty-mcr-homes-for-veterans_16-03-2015_12-24-36

I can't stand all that 'help for heroes' rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, I think that govts have a responsibility to look after their ex-service personnel, but enough with all the 'hero' crap. I accept that a few will have done something truly heroic, but most of them are just hired killers, and as such I find it hard to have much sympathy for them.

I can't stand all that 'help for heroes' rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, I think that govts have a responsibility to look after their ex-service personnel, but enough with all the 'hero' crap. I accept that a few will have done something truly heroic, but most of them are just hired killers, and as such I find it hard to have much sympathy for them.

I agree. I take great umbidge with all this "hero" stuff. It's propaganda at it's worst.

it's hardly heroic to be handed an automatic rifle then invade a country where the local drive about on 1/2 horse power Donkeys with tanks and jet fighters as back up.

They are in a situation where some of them have to do "heroic deeds" or be killed.

That's not heroism, that's stupidity.

This man is a hero:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi

200px-Portrait_Gandhi.jpg

I dont recall him shooting anyone.

Agreed, going into a warzone as part of your job that you signed up for, doesn't make you a hero.

(Also can't stand the current abuse of the word 'brave' to someone who is undergoing treatment for a serious illness. 'Stupid' would be a good way to describe someone who doesn't undergo treatment; that doesn't automatically make the inverse 'brave'.)

the problem is that everybody else also got these hired killers ... I prefer to treat my killers with sympathy ... sooner or later my family will need them ... not sure if I would be able to keep my pants dry if these killers come on me ...

13d25a48fcb88632690f6a706700b0b4.jpg

Edited by Damik

the problem is that everybody else also got these hired killers ... I prefer to treat my killers with sympathy ... never sure my family will need them ...

13d25a48fcb88632690f6a706700b0b4.jpg

I dont have any!!!

I guarantee under a given set of circumstances those hired killers would be pointing theit guns at the peolpe they "serve", i.e. you and me.

This is an interesting topic of conversation that people would find it impossible to have in the MSM.

For instance, I prefer to call a fighter jet, a high speed death machine.

A fighter jet pilot seems a glamorous job...how many people would be openly admitting to piloting a "high speed death machine." ?

A fighter jet pilot seems a glamorous job...how many people would be openly admitting to piloting a "high speed death machine." ?

It is a glamourous job to defend your family; what involves killing other people. E.g. 800k dead people in former Yougoslavia would strongly agree with me; if they are still alive. But their hired killers failed them. So they are gone forever, with their wishes and dreams. Their lives are wasted for good ...

Edited by Damik

There are some good uses of these high speed death machines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30573385

The Yazidi religious minority community in Iraq says 3,500 of its women and girls are still being held by the so-called Islamic State (IS), many being used as sex slaves.

Edited by Damik

It is a glamourous job to defend your family; what involves killing other people. E.g. 800k dead people in former Yougoslavia would strongly agree with me; if they are still alive. But their hired killers failed them. So they are gone forever, with their wishes and dreams. Their lives are wasted for good ...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm all for protecting the people, but expansion, invasion, subjection, empire building and protecting a 800 year old elitist based society, well, I'll pass on that.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm all for protecting the people, but expansion, invasion, subjection, empire building and protecting a 800 year old elitist based society, well, I'll pass on that.

Perhaps you pass. Others are quite busy doing it as we speak:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/vladimir-putin-denies-russian-forces-eastern-ukraine-kiev

Putin asserts right to use force in east Ukraine
President says he hopes he does not have to exercise military force as he points out eastern Ukraine was once part of Russia

Perhaps you pass. Others are quite busy doing it as we speak:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/vladimir-putin-denies-russian-forces-eastern-ukraine-kiev

Putin asserts right to use force in east Ukraine
President says he hopes he does not have to exercise military force as he points out eastern Ukraine was once part of Russia

That doesn't justify anything. There is nothing heroic in any of this. Just warmongering nutters maintaining their position with violence and intimidation. Stand up to the Establishment in any country and you'll see what thopse armies are really for.

2 wrongs dont make a right and all that.

Propagandists colouring the view of anyone is dangerous.

I for one want no part of it.