House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Worth Pursuing Car Dealer ?

So I bought a VW Fox from a dealer. The price was okay and it's very low miles,one owner,full history etc. I normally buy privately but couldn't find this car locally. Anyway went to see car all seemed okay,car was taken into town by dealer for the mot. I paid for the car once it returned. I drove home and went to lock the car but the remote didn't work. I immediately texted the dealer who advised me he wasn't aware it didn't work. He told me to follow the instructions in the hand book to re-synch. Not unsurprisingly the key won't synch. I texted back and he advised me to call at the weekend and to check what time to bring the car in. I texted this morning and he said he couldn't look at the car today. I texted back saying I'd been quoted £40 to synch (if it works) and £80 if the key was shot. The dealer text back saying that he'd given me a £200 discount already and would only pay £20 for the repair. I said the discount was irrelevant because it was not in relation to the key and the advert stated the car had remote locking. I then said I'd get the repairs done and bill him and then take him to small claims. His reply has not to threaten him with an exclamation mark.

Okay,so my bad for not checking the remote at the garage but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Is this worth pursuing ? Thanks in advance.

So I bought a VW Fox from a dealer. The price was okay and it's very low miles,one owner,full history etc. I normally buy privately but couldn't find this car locally. Anyway went to see car all seemed okay,car was taken into town by dealer for the mot. I paid for the car once it returned. I drove home and went to lock the car but the remote didn't work. I immediately texted the dealer who advised me he wasn't aware it didn't work. He told me to follow the instructions in the hand book to re-synch. Not unsurprisingly the key won't synch. I texted back and he advised me to call at the weekend and to check what time to bring the car in. I texted this morning and he said he couldn't look at the car today. I texted back saying I'd been quoted £40 to synch (if it works) and £80 if the key was shot. The dealer text back saying that he'd given me a £200 discount already and would only pay £20 for the repair. I said the discount was irrelevant because it was not in relation to the key and the advert stated the car had remote locking. I then said I'd get the repairs done and bill him and then take him to small claims. His reply has not to threaten him with an exclamation mark.

Okay,so my bad for not checking the remote at the garage but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Is this worth pursuing ? Thanks in advance.

Just demand a refund under the sale of goods act

It might just be a battery. Only a VW shop will be able to do this properly if it is more serious. Does the car have old fashioned keyholes to lock the door?

It might just be a battery. Only a VW shop will be able to do this properly if it is more serious. Does the car have old fashioned keyholes to lock the door?

Plenty of third party software out there capable of doing this

You could go down this route

That's me in the Job Centre. :blink:

Why not fit a padlock, like Mr Bean?

:D

I need a chat with the Dalai Lama before I go back there. :mellow:

Perhaps the Remote Locking only worked when the VW was being tested.

Like DAB radios? :(

Legally , yes.

For the hassle for a few quid, and possibly a day off work to attend court, perhaps not.

Yes,the hassle factor is putting me off but I'm p*ssed that he didn't mention this issue. He needs lesson.

Just demand a refund under the sale of goods act

Not sure if that is possible.

The car locks manually and starts. The remote red light on the remote lights up but it doesn't unlock or lock the car. The batteries have been changed.

Was the £200 discount given just in case anything was wrong? How did the car dealer keep the car secure if the key didn't work?

The £200.00 reduced because we agreed that discount to make a sale. It wasn't provisory. The car locks manually with the key.

Yes,the hassle factor is putting me off but I'm p*ssed that he didn't mention this issue. He needs lesson.

Not sure if that is possible.

The car locks manually and starts. The remote red light on the remote lights up but it doesn't unlock or lock the car. The batteries have been changed.

The £200.00 reduced because we agreed that discount to make a sale. It wasn't provisory. The car locks manually with the key.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/?gclid=CKfgp9iWlcgCFRFmGwod5R4Gqg

Pretty sure it is

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.

You missed your chance he was doing the rounds around your neck of the woods last year

See how he shields his head from the inevital rocket powered grand piano trebuchet launch. :huh:

You need to see the bigger picture. If you don't kick up a fuss people will keep doing shoddy work. There needs to be consequences for people's actions returned to society. I would say you have a duty to take it back.

I expect used cars from dealers to have something a bit wonky about them. As long as it gets an MOT, that is OK in my price range. :wacko:

Probably shouldn't have texted him and gone straight back with the car and played the idiot and asked him to show you how it worked.

If I was on a budget not sure remote central locking is something I'd spend big money rectifying if you can use the key. Don't like the bloke's attitude though.

Maybe reply to the last text asking if you can take it as written confirmation he is not prepared to remedy the fault of reimburse you.

You need to see the bigger picture. If you don't kick up a fuss people will keep doing shoddy work. There needs to be consequences for people's actions returned to society. I would say you have a duty to take it back.

Totally agree.

Probably shouldn't have texted him and gone straight back with the car and played the idiot and asked him to show you how it worked.

If I was on a budget not sure remote central locking is something I'd spend big money rectifying if you can use the key. Don't like the bloke's attitude though.

Maybe reply to the last text asking if you can take it as written confirmation he is not prepared to remedy the fault of reimburse you.

Dealers legally have to offer at least 3 months warranty..You effectively pay a premium for this vs privately. Therefore you should have some sort of comeback (I presume that's why many people will only buy through a garage)....I'd go after this bloke...I bet he's done it many a time...

You could google re syncing. It might be do-able with a few key twists.

I had the AA out to sort mine. (Ford).

AA bloke said that barrier detectors and such like can cause it to lose connection with the car.