House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Slaveboxes

Crikey.

Up to London on the train yesterday, last time was the start of the year. I was amazed by how many flats are suddenly under construction on the line into Paddington.

All brownfield sites so the planning permission reforms have now taken effect (some of these sites have been derelict for decades).

It looks like for some sections of society, particularly young office workers in cities, the housing / rental market is just about to turn a corner into good supply and affordability.

Good news?

Not sure. London is very crowded. So many people there. :blink:

Crikey.

Up to London on the train yesterday, last time was the start of the year. I was amazed by how many flats are suddenly under construction on the line into Paddington.

All brownfield sites so the planning permission reforms have now taken effect (some of these sites have been derelict for decades).

It looks like for some sections of society, particularly young office workers in cities, the housing / rental market is just about to turn a corner into good supply and affordability.

Good news?

I think it will be ultimately, but not in the short to medium term.

There is a huge amount of building going on in London at present, still not enough but anything is better than nothing. But the issue of course is that these places are completely unaffordable, generally purchased by overseas types.

If/when there is a down turn then these new places will mean a decent supply of places into the system, but we need that correction first and I'm still not seeing where it's going to come from. We now need a serious economic event or over supply and I really can't see the second happening as demand is still high.

Do these flats have things like shops and parks nearby so that those who live in them have something to do other that sit in their tiny slave box watching Netflix?

And many more on the way.

That's why they have Paddington (where Frank arrived) and other stations.

Well, I guess someone stands to benefit from new flats. But I expect you still get much better value in most of the rest of the country.

Crikey.

Good news?

Yes.

It's the same in SE London. Brownfield sites having flats built on them in many locations.

Could any of those London developments be the vanguard of build-to-let? A whole block managed by an institutional landlord taking the job seriously could be a seriously Good Thing for the market. The ideal would be someone who could do for rented flats what Premier Inns have done for hotels: a reliable package at a mass-market price, and available very widely.

Could any of those London developments be the vanguard of build-to-let? A whole block managed by an institutional landlord taking the job seriously could be a seriously Good Thing for the market. The ideal would be someone who could do for rented flats what Premier Inns have done for hotels: a reliable package at a mass-market price, and available very widely.

Dont know, I have got a bit out of touch since I retired.

Good news? I doubt with 300,000+ people coming in every year, it will make not one jot of difference.

Yes, that needs to be stopped urgently if we want a meaningful improvement of quality of life.

All those extra people only influence values up if they have ability to pay. If not, they can help depress prices.

Subscription only site, but you may be able to open full article with a search via search engine.

Inside Housing .co.uk

Housebuilders 'look to PRS' as sales market cools

5 November 2014

Edit: Venger removed article content after reading insidehousing t&cs.