House Price Crash Forum
200p

Ssi Redcar Steel, Paused Production 2,200 Fear Job Losses

I heard about this on Radio 4 - the drop in commodity prices (particularly oil) and the China stock collapse consequences is finding itself around the wider world economy. The drop in the Western stock markets was a warning bell. Be prepared this winter.

---

SSI Redcar: 2,000 steelworkers await news from Thai owners

The Thai parent company of a threatened Teesside steel plant has been criticised for its "deafening silence".

Teesside steel firm SSI has suspended production at its Redcar blast furnace, blaming rising costs and a slump in demand.

---

Unite union branch secretary Kevin Cook said there was only enough coal to keep the coke ovens burning until Friday.

SSI has declined requests for comment and unions said they had not been told what a "pause" in production meant.

Community union chairman Paul Warren said it was "torture" for the almost 2,000 workers.

"We're getting no answers and no information," he said.

"We really, really need SSI Thailand to come forward to let us know what's going on."

He said that although the unions' relationship with the firm's UK board was good, from Thailand the "silence is just deafening".

---

Contractors have been seen withdrawing what they own from the site.

---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-34335989

Global Commodity CRB ETF

cr.gif

Live chart

Edited by 200p

There`s a crisis developing in the UK steel industry as a whole but it`s affecting the sector that's producing construction materials more so than the rest

Most of Llanwern is due to be mothballed next month which is a strip mill excess production from China is flooding the markets of most of Europe

Its a not very efficient plant, producing something that China decided was strategic about 20 years ago.

And China is in gross over supply mode.

I'm not sure that the Thai's plan were when they bought the plant. Any answers?

FFS why did a Thai company buy he place in the first place?

You have Nissan up the road.

Boat building has long demand.

No iron is mined out of the hills anymore.

Thailand does not have state funded Chaebols like SK.

Its not an advanced/developed country like Japan, Germany, UK, with a demand for the raw product.

FFS Thailand is rapidly falling back from 'developed' to '3rd world world'

The gazette's is full of the usual cretinous comments by the collection of moron that make up 'boro's political elite...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/live-ssi-crisis-updates-uk-10123731

'But Redcar MP Anna Turley told the Gazette earlier this week: "We must not over-interpret State Aid rules, they were made up a long time before the days of large global competitors such as China.
"Other countries have found the means. Sometimes they're an excuse for inaction. If Government needs to push the interpretation of them to the brink, then so be it."'

If Ms Turley and the Labour party are going to under-write the EU fines then, sure, go ahead.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/ssi-crisis-numbers-how-much-10102802

A reasonable stab at the numbers. The only surprise is that its still open.

A bit of tub-thumping speech:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/business/business-news/there-already-northern-powerhouse-its-10078791

Frankly, a trip to 'boro and it seems there are more smackrats hanging around 'boro bus station than there are people employed in profitable,. private sector employment.

I was at the cinema in Hartlepool yesterday.There was nobody in.All screens.The one i went to see (just out) had nine of us paying.The other four were two people in wheelchairs and their council carers.Carers will of got in free.

After the cinema we went down to Seaton Carew to get fish and chips.Nobody about at all.Could see the steel plant.

Looking around at the amount of people on welfare up here i think we are looking at 80%+ if you include public sector workers.

I was at the cinema in Hartlepool yesterday.There was nobody in.All screens.The one i went to see (just out) had nine of us paying.The other four were two people in wheelchairs and their council carers.Carers will of got in free.

After the cinema we went down to Seaton Carew to get fish and chips.Nobody about at all.Could see the steel plant.

Looking around at the amount of people on welfare up here i think we are looking at 80%+ if you include public sector workers.

+1

Once you take into account the amount of faux private sector jobs in the North East it starts to look very dicey.

Universities, hospitals, land registry, NS&I, hugely bloated council departments, NHS departments - often with the same people doing the same jobs within the same trusts, but based a few miles apart etc. Hugely inefficient, hugely entitled. And that's before you even start to examine the professional benefit claimant and their 'pay'.

We're currently in a position to buy in/around Durham, but looking into the fabric of the area (other than maybe some pockets of the tech sector in Newcastle) I'm leaning towards moving to a more "ambitious" area, if that makes sense.

Makes the USSR look like a red blooded capitalist system.

The welfare and made-up public sector jobs do not help in the medium to long term.

They are now a hindrance to any form of regeneration.

You cannot get skilled people as you have generations of dropping out of school and onto benefit.

The pay and conditions (flex hour, no real hassle) of public sector jobs prevent the private sector from starting low and building up.

The made up disability scams provide a lottery like life style for faking whatever the current in condition is at the mo - depression. anxiety disorder.

All the time, the place lurches towards a disaster.

On the gzette's front page:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/565000-marton-dream-home-situated-10123733

'The Oak House is on the market for £565,000.'

what percentage would it be if you included theoretically pure private sector workers, working in for example Tesco's. Which are reliant on customers who get the money directly from the state?! Edited by reddog

what percentage would it be if you included theoretically pure private sector workers, working in for example Tesco's. Which are reliant on customers who get the money directly from the state?!

Incredible to think about it.Your standard of living in the north east now mostly comes down to how much in benefits you get.Unless you land a public sector job.

Tesco's Extra had 16 people in an hour ago.Even they only had baskets.There were probably three times that number in staff.I cant imagine the amount that store is losing never mind the minus return on capital employed.

Something has to give soon.Smells like massive deflation to me.That should ensure the deficit cant be cut and the fireworks will start.

One explanation could be they have loaded the 4x4 (deposti paid for by the PPI payout) and p1ssed off to Whitby with the tax credits, disability, carers allowance and are pouring into Trenchers and the slot machines.

Incredible to think about it.Your standard of living in the north east now mostly comes down to how much in benefits you get.Unless you land a public sector job.

Tesco's Extra had 16 people in an hour ago.Even they only had baskets.There were probably three times that number in staff.I cant imagine the amount that store is losing never mind the minus return on capital employed.

Something has to give soon.Smells like massive deflation to me.That should ensure the deficit cant be cut and the fireworks will start.

Benefits are no longer helping the NE, they are just digging it into a bigger hole.

Its a not very efficient plant, producing something that China decided was strategic about 20 years ago.

And China is in gross over supply mode.

FFS why did a Thai company buy he place in the first place?

Well China's gross over supply is the cause of the problem without a doubt but as for why the Thai`s bought the place it was bought when China's supply come nowhere near it`s demand the cost of scrap steel at that point in time was not far off the price of slab steel per tonne today (what ssi produce)

The value of carbon credits at the time of sale was said to be close to the sale price

The cost of carbon emissions per tone plus energy cost in the UK has put the whole of the UK`s steel making on the line we simply cannot compete in a low price market

Edited by long time lurking

Makes the USSR look like a red blooded capitalist system.

The welfare and made-up public sector jobs do not help in the medium to long term.

They are now a hindrance to any form of regeneration.

You cannot get skilled people as you have generations of dropping out of school and onto benefit.

The pay and conditions (flex hour, no real hassle) of public sector jobs prevent the private sector from starting low and building up.

The made up disability scams provide a lottery like life style for faking whatever the current in condition is at the mo - depression. anxiety disorder.

All the time, the place lurches towards a disaster.

On the gzette's front page:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/565000-marton-dream-home-situated-10123733

'The Oak House is on the market for £565,000.'

"The Jewel of Middlesbrough" love it! That was the second most read article on The Gazette website when I looked earlier! Not sure if it was a HPC surge.

Seriously, its a nicely presented 4 bed detached with a decent garden.

This is a pretty depressing thread even by HPC standards. I genuinely feel for the 2000 that will almost certainly loss their jobs, its highly likely that they are losing the best job they are ever likely to have, imagine if that was the high point in your 20s or 30s :(

Edited by reddog

Not really any answers (like Tata steel before them possibly they were taken in with the never ending story of the UK being a tiger economy - maybe they just wanted a cheap foothold into the eu) except to say that when Tata took it over it the idea of a company from India (or any other company from that part of the world for that matter) was still pretty novel. People thought even then (based on what had been propagated - aka lied about) that the likes of Germany (BMW) and Japan (Nissan) might be the competition but India and then afterwards Thai, not really.

In those days a lot of UK people had still been propagated with the idea that the UK could compete with the world. They're more realistic now and the idea is not so novel now of course.

Of course the UK politicans still make out that the UK economy is tiger and after all there's the single Nissan plant up the road from Redcar that they continually try to pretend represents the entire UK economy.

Edited by billybong

The value of carbon credits at the time of sale was said to be close to the sale price

The cost of carbon emissions per tone plus energy cost in the UK has put the whole of the UK`s steel making on the line we simply cannot compete in a low price market

So is this another consequence of the green lobby making industry uncompetitive, pushing it over the edge.

"The Jewel of Middlesbrough" love it! That was the second most read article on The Gazette website when I looked earlier! Not sure if it was a HPC surge.

This is a pretty depressing thread even by HPC standards. I genuinely feel for the 2000 that will almost certainly loss their jobs, its highly likely that they are losing the best job they are ever likely to have, imagine if that was the high point in your 20s or 30s :(

Heard a good quote from the lead singer of AC/DC about that, he is from Newcastle or close by isn`t he? It was about when he had a reasonably high paying job on a night shift, and all the guys were rubbing their hands going in at 10 p.m or whenever they started, decks of cards and books for getting their feet up later sort of thing and telling him how lucky he was to get the chance of night rates and how he should do more nights etc. He said he was totally depressed, night time to him was for living, for seeing the world, and he got the f*uck out of there as soon as he could, a while later of course his go for it attitude landed him the dream gig. The ones who think it`s over now because they can`t graft in a steel mill any more will probably find that it is, the ones that start thinking of alternatives will thrive, even if they are much older. IMO. In this shitF*ck of an economy the job for life gig is most definitely over for most of us.

I think 'boro, when you consider the facts, has the highest houseprices in the UK.

Sure, you can buy almost derelict 2 ups/2 down for a few 1000s but when you go a few miles out, the prices shoot up stupidly.

Its insane. There are only made up public sector jobs and people on tax credits. I just cannot see that level of spending continuing.

Every 10 years, the population goes down 10%. The council (dumb as fck Labour) have tried to make up the population deficit by importing bascially scum of the world and populating to fill the properties.

In 20 years, the place has gone from white with a chink of Mipuri, to looking like a refugee camp.

The thinking on the houses like the ne in Marton - and when you get a few miles south outisde of 'boro it is very nice - 'Well, we are a lot better than town so we need to charge xxxxxK' Its insane. People don't think 'Marton is a nice area'. They think 'I don't want to live anywhere near boro'

People with that sort of money to spend go to York, which is not a million miles away for a commute.

Guest eight

I think 'boro, when you consider the facts, has the highest houseprices in the UK.

Sure, you can buy almost derelict 2 ups/2 down for a few 1000s but when you go a few miles out, the prices shoot up stupidly.

Its insane. There are only made up public sector jobs and people on tax credits. I just cannot see that level of spending continuing.

Every 10 years, the population goes down 10%. The council (dumb as fck Labour) have tried to make up the population deficit by importing bascially scum of the world and populating to fill the properties.

In 20 years, the place has gone from white with a chink of Mipuri, to looking like a refugee camp.

The thinking on the houses like the ne in Marton - and when you get a few miles south outisde of 'boro it is very nice - 'Well, we are a lot better than town so we need to charge xxxxxK' Its insane. People don't think 'Marton is a nice area'. They think 'I don't want to live anywhere near boro'

People with that sort of money to spend go to York, which is not a million miles away for a commute.

Great thread. I was in Redcar at the weekend - the amusements seemed to be relatively thriving, compared to recent visits. There were row boats out on the lake too.

I totally get your incredulity but really, it's like a microcosm of this site. I could say all the same things about my own home town which once somewhat snobbily distanced itself from its Teesside neighbours and looked to Durham instead, but is now part of the laughably named "Tees Valley".

Ingleby Barwick - what's that all about?

One thing's for sure - when the Steelworks does go, and twenty thousand "exclusive" luxury shoebox apartments have been built on the site, folks will be falling over themselves to buy them, despite the painfully obvious lack of fundamentals. Somehow they'll manage to pay the inflated price for them too.

I also must say that it's hard to have much sympathy for a populace who once elected Vera Baird as MP.

Yess.... Tees Valley.

You have (upper) Teesdale, which is nice, and then Hartlepool, Darlo, 'boro/Stockton, which are not.

Tees Valley is a means of trying to avoid saying 'Middlesborough' The inept councils assume people do not have maps.

Ingleby Barwick exists because of white flight, or rather trying to avoid coming under Stockton or Mbro town council are their militant ways.

'boro/Stockton and Bradford are the only places I know of in the UK where people living there spend their time planning on escaping.

Redcars not bad. This summer, we went to look at the turbines in sea and visit a mate who's just got access to a hut on the Garr.

It was my high point when i was made redundant at 31.I earned within 20% for seven out of the ten years that followed and then went self employed.If i took an employed job now in a north east factory id be looking at about 34% of the wage in real terms i got in 1992.Yes 34%.The good payers have gone,or replaced most workers with agency.The newer ones tend to employ Polish etc on NMW+50p

Lucky for me i worked with an older bloke who told me the way the wind would blow and i paid off my house,built up savings etc in the ten years i had the good job.I am now self employed and could quite easy of grown and employed people.I decided not to .I make the tax allowance a year and enjoy my life instead.

Like spyguy says you cant imagine the amount of benefits paid out up here.The best "paid" people i know are all on benefits.Some work part time and get massive tax credits (and DLA for their childs "behaviour problems").Others have gone down the both on the sick route,both claim carers allowance to look after each other.Yes they get DLA for not being able to function,yet are also given carers allowance to look after each other.

Most people in Boro and the surrounding area wont care if the steel works closes,or anything else.The have never been involved with the world of work.Its alien to them.

Edited by durhamborn

Have to say I live and work in the region and it's really not as depressing as you're making out.

If you have a reasonably well paying job in the area (i'm talking average salary type wages)it's almost certainly the best place in the country to live. I moved to yarm about a decade ago and have never looked back, great place to bring my kids up.

Edited by frozen_out

Have to say I live and work in the region and it's really not as depressing as you're making out.

If you have a reasonably well paying job in the area (i'm talking average salary type wages)it's almost certainly the best place in the country to live. I moved to yarm about a decade ago and have never looked back, great place to bring my kids up.

I would not argue with that. I like Yarm too. I prefer Stokesly mind.

I would not bring my kids up/live in in boro, Darlo,Stockton, or Hpool.

The North East is great if you have a job - the countryside is great, you have a great life style, good cheap places to live.

Its sh1t is you do not have a job as you cannot travel and get shoved in social housing, which can be pretty sh1t. Then it gets depressing because its hard to get a job.

There`s a crisis developing in the UK steel industry as a whole but it`s affecting the sector that's producing construction materials more so than the rest

Most of Llanwern is due to be mothballed next month which is a strip mill excess production from China is flooding the markets of most of Europe

My dad ran a steel slitting company until 2003. Based in the black country, there must have been 40 companies doing exactly the same when he started (late 70's). By the time he folded the company he was one of three. I'm amazed (as is he) that he lasted as long as he did.

Guest eight

What is it you do for a living?

Yarm and Barnard Castle are the two highest income areas of the north east,with the lowest welfare claims.The problem is those very average salary type jobs you mention have gone.There are very few left.Its public sector,a few average salary private sector holding on,then NMW+50p done by mostly Polish or Brits until they sort their welfare out (kids/fake illness/both).

Welfare alongside the destruction of mid range jobs has sucked the life out of the north east.I wouldnt live anywhere else,but for anyone decent trying to be better than a welfare claim its very very difficult.