House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Preacherman

Grand Designs I.o.w.

Only £3.2M , mortgages on top of mortgages on top of loans on top of credit cards.

Lovely house, whoever buys it off the official receiver will love it.

I had to stop watching at the point where he said they were hoping to get a BTL mortgage on their previous place. To me, they epitomised the sort of greed, arrogance and entitlement that characterises the demand side of the credit binge. I didn't hang around long enough to find out whether his BTL application would have been fraudulent, but either way they were clearly perfectly intelligent, and had made a few quid already outside of the property bubble.

Edited by Fully Detached

I had to stop watching at the point where he said they were hoping to get a BTL mortgage on their previous place. To me, they epitomised the sort of greed, arrogance and entitlement that characterises the demand side of the credit binge. I didn't hang around long enough to find out whether his BTL application would have been fraudulent, but either way they were clearly perfectly intelligent, and had made a few quid already outside of the property bubble.

You forgot 'stupid'

Did not see it. You are descrining a mind set which think you cannot lose with property.

If they are 50+ then they would have already seen two cycles where did lose, a lot too, with property.

And, being outside of London, they will probably not be lucky this time.

I had to laugh when he got a BTL loan. I assume the show didn't disclose some other significant assets that allowed them to raise the finance to make things more 'tense'.

I did like the house in the end but I wouldn't want something so large myself. Great views.

Surprised they don't get the project valued at the end like homes under the hammer. That would be interesting.

Also, where to they get all these tw ats called 'Bram', 'Lincoln', etc. from? It's almost like a self parody.

I had to laugh when he got a BTL loan. I assume the show didn't disclose some other significant assets that allowed them to raise the finance to make things more 'tense'.

I did like the house in the end but I wouldn't want something so large myself. Great views.

Surprised they don't get the project valued at the end like homes under the hammer. That would be interesting.

Also, where to they get all these tw ats called 'Bram', 'Lincoln', etc. from? It's almost like a self parody.

London. most likely. Or the home counties.

You forgot 'stupid'

No, I didn't. In fact it was in the original edit before I thought better of it. The thing is, they absolutely aren't stupid. They're perfectly intelligent people, who have become blinded by their greed and arrogance and entitlement.

I'm not letting them off the hook by giving them the excuse of being stupid, no way.

For many in the UK - normally very smart people become complete dimwits as soon as they get involved in 'property'.

My dad - who has been in very senior positions in companies, and trained sales teams/directors over many decades - fell for the classic 'Well I want X for it - but you can have it for Y for a quick sale' pitch when buying a place about 8 years ago.

I was pretty shocked.

Just watched this, for an accountant it blew my mind that he had no clue about his budget or costs

Then at the end with the land total cost around £3,300,000 with around 11 loans via banks, friends and credit cards

For many in the UK - normally very smart people become complete dimwits as soon as they get involved in 'property'.

My dad - who has been in very senior positions in companies, and trained sales teams/directors over many decades - fell for the classic 'Well I want X for it - but you can have it for Y for a quick sale' pitch when buying a place about 8 years ago.

I was pretty shocked.

Oh the Albanians doing 'find the lady' on waterloo bridge most love him.

Did he have an endowment mortgage too?

Just watched this, for an accountant it blew my mind that he had no clue about his budget or costs

Then at the end with the land total cost around £3,300,000 with around 11 loans via banks, friends and credit cards

Being smart and numerate is not a requirement to be an accountant.

The good ones are, but they are far and few.

Oh the Albanians doing 'find the lady' on waterloo bridge most love him.

Did he have an endowment mortgage too?

No he's generally pretty smart and 'savvy' with stuff. But like most of the population - 'property' mentioned and the brainwashing takes over.

I didnt watch it - but isnt this the bloke that just recovered from a brain Haemorrage ?

If so - and if 50+ - why the actual ****** would you CHOOSE to be in that situation above ? Mental.

Retire to a wee villa in some warm country, Job done.

More than likely his wife behind this ?

I didnt watch it - but isnt this the bloke that just recovered from a brain Haemorrage ?

If so - and if 50+ - why the actual ****** would you CHOOSE to be in that situation above ? Mental.

Retire to a wee villa in some warm country, Job done.

I suspect they piped in HUTH and LLL forcibly when he was in hospital

file_521614_7.jpg

I suspect they piped in HUTH and LLL forcibly when he was in hospital

file_521614_7.jpg

Please no !!!

I've stopped watching Grand Designs as the houses they build are usually way over the top for most people and are vanity projects for people addicted to stress. I also wonder how many the team follow but can't broadcast as the project ends in tears.

I've stopped watching Grand Designs as the houses they build are usually way over the top for most people and are vanity projects for people addicted to stress. I also wonder how many the team follow but can't broadcast as the project ends in tears.

There was an Ozzie one a few years back that ended very much in tears. The house got built - but his life/marriage collapsed and he was clearly a broken man, Then he had to sell it to stop going bankrupt IIRC.

Actually felt sorry for the bloke.

It was a nice house.. but £3.3m. That's a lot of money for a house...

It does sometimes shock me how much houses cost to build, excluding the land...

Oh, and I always think I'd just buy a JCB and dig all summer.. then sell the JCB when done. Ok, it would take me ten times as long.. but I'd have fun doing it!

Edited by Jason

It was a nice house.. but £3.3m. That's a lot of money for a house...

It does sometimes shock me how much houses cost to build, excluding the land...

Oh, and I always think I'd just buy a JCB and dig all summer.. then sell the JCB when done. Ok, it would take me ten times as long.. but I'd have fun doing it!

..and have a back-up career ;)

Why do you say that? I've seen plenty of episodes of GD where it's clearly the bloke who is utterly obsessed with this project, no matter the cost to finances and relationships, never mind family living in a freezing caravan through a couple of winters.

One thing about GDs and the vast glass walls in many of them - they almost always show them on a sunny summer's day - how about when it's grey and wet and wintry, I wonder? They never show any blinds for shutting out black nights, and of course never anything as un-trendy as curtains.

Why do you say that? I've seen plenty of episodes of GD where it's clearly the bloke who is utterly obsessed with this project, no matter the cost to finances and relationships, never mind family living in a freezing caravan through a couple of winters.

One thing about GDs and the vast glass walls in many of them - they almost always show them on a sunny summer's day - how about when it's grey and wet and wintry, I wonder? They never show any blinds for shutting out black nights, and of course never anything as un-trendy as curtains.

Ever tried living in a room without Curtains? I grew up in an attic room built into the eaves and Dad never got round to doing the DIY to put in double-rail curtains.

Consequently I now wake up whenever the sun comes up, even though I'm a grown up with curtains :blink:

Fair point you do see both sexes being obsessive about these things.

However the bloke has just recovered from a brain heamorrage that almost killed him. Can't imagine your first thought is "I fancy stressing myself out to the Max asap"