House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Wwii Bombs More Dangerous Than Ever

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150922-these-nazi-bombs-are-more-dangerous-now-than-ever-before

According to the London Fire Brigade, the Bethnal Green device was the ninth unexploded WWII bomb found in the capital this year. And it won’t be the last.

Even now, 70 years after the war’s end, tens of thousands of similar items of unexploded ordnance (UXO) may still be awaiting discovery beneath the peaceful gardens, roads and buildings of post-war Britain, say experts. And they’re often more dangerous now than they were during the war – which makes defusing them a difficult and potentially risky process.

The reason they’re there at all is that a frighteningly large proportion of bombs dropped on Britain in World War II simply failed to go off. “During the Blitz between September 1940 and May 1941, there were about 85 major raids on London, and during those raids the Germans dropped about 24,000 tonnes of high explosive,” says Matt Brosnan, a historian with the Imperial War Museum. “But 10% of bombs that were dropped didn’t actually detonate.”

Some bombs, Brosnan says, were simply duds – casualties of fast, furious and error-prone wartime manufacturing. Others may have suffered damage to the fuse typically used to detonate the bomb, or to the clockwork time-delay mechanisms that were sometimes used. All of them, if mishandled, could present a major hazard.

But according to a spokesman for the RLC regiment’s EOD division, high explosive, air-delivered German bombs are the most dangerous World War II items it has to deal with. Not only are they in a sensitive state – having already been deployed, armed and damaged by the impact with the ground – but they are fitted with a variety of different fuses, some designed to detonate immediately, others which featured some form of time-delay and some which were booby trapped, specially designed to kill EOD operators.

A job where if you fail you literally won't be around to make the same mistake again. It's amazing more of these bombs don't go off.

Guest eight

I wonder if anybody was killed by being struck directly by a falling bomb that didn't detonate? Now that would be unlucky.

They find them all the time in my part of the world. A few weeks back they found a mine in Burry Port harbour - been there for 70 years quite happily. It was covered by several hundred mussels which, alas, went bang along with the mine when the bomb disposal people turned up.

I wonder if anybody was killed by being struck directly by a falling bomb that didn't detonate? Now that would be unlucky.

On Op Telic a blind (undetonated) mortar landed next to our static lorry trailer holding the internet booths, right by the door and yards from the pizzeria where we congregated. I thought the same.

So what's new about this situation ?

The First World War ended over nearly a century ago but is still claiming victims. If you visit some of the battle fields on the Somme and around Vimy ridge there are lots of signs warning you not to leave the paths or wander into the nearby woods because they are full of unexploded ordnance. Farmers regularly plough up old shells which are left in piles by their fields for the French army to collect and detonate.

They find them all the time in my part of the world. A few weeks back they found a mine in Burry Port harbour - been there for 70 years quite happily. It was covered by several hundred mussels which, alas, went bang along with the mine when the bomb disposal people turned up.

To be fair the air raid warnings still go off in parts of Swansea so they must still be bombing...... :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246348/Ghostly-sound-air-raid-siren-wakes-people-hundreds-homes-city-heavily-bombed-Nazis-75-years-ago.html

There are probably many hundreds of UXB's under London and other UK cities. Modern build techniques mean they are digging deeper than ever before so are finding more now..

So what's new about this situation ?

The First World War ended over nearly a century ago but is still claiming victims. If you visit some of the battle fields on the Somme and around Vimy ridge there are lots of signs warning you not to leave the paths or wander into the nearby woods because they are full of unexploded ordinance. Farmers regularly plough up old shells which are left in piles by their fields for the French army to collect and detonate.

Called the Iron Harvest. I visited Yrpes Salient and The Somme around 15 years ago and saw old rusty ordnance propped up against hedgerows in farmers fields where they had been ploughed up.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/battle-remains/battle-remains-western-front.htm

You'd think they'd keep a record of where they dropped...of all the people recording things like slugs and weeds...surely someone must have recorded where bombs fell.

There is..

Certainly for London anyway...

http://www.bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Guest eight

There are probably many hundreds of UXB's under London and other UK cities. Modern build techniques mean they are digging deeper than ever before so are finding more now..

Idiots. Haven't they seen Quatermass and The Pit?

So you could be spending the night in a new build flat and be killed by german nazis from the 1940s.

Juliet balconies just aren't built to withstand the Luftwaffe..

Guest eight

So you could be spending the night in a new build flat and be killed by german nazis from the 1940s.

Do we send them the bill for clearing this lot up, or is there some sort of reciprocal arrangement?