House Price Crash Forum

Bbc - What's Housing Benefit For?

RentaBear

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

..again a benefit to UK employers foreign or otherwise underpaying employees while piling in profits at the expense of the tax payer....time to adjust ...the piper needs to be paid ...who is going to pay....?....surely no longer the taxpayer supporting employers who pay little or no taxes here ...this is theft ...make them pay a decent wage or shut them down.... :rolleyes:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Two central points vis a vis housing benefit

1. Cited by David Willetts, who was one of the political architects at the time, in the 1980s there was an ideological shift in the Thatcher government away from public house building. He said this was a mistake

2. Across the political spectrum, people interviewed on this programme, including Willetts, said the govt have to aim to build more houses, even directly by the public sector

Edited by Si1

HOLA447

Why do we have to pay £30/40 billions of housing benefit per year from our taxes??? If we can build 2bed flats on free state/council land for about £30k total costs??? Including London close to M25.

Is there anybody who can start a public debate on this ridiculous topic ???

HOLA448

Quite a bit of it goes to Rolex

More seriously. I don't like housing benefit or the fact that the UK is in a situation where it needs it. I don't think even Thatcher herself would like this outcome from the ideological shift that she led. I don't know the way out of it either. Building more public sector / not for profit homes would do it, but where does the money for that come from - remember, the UK is skint and getting skinter.

And what happens with more public sector homes - do we just start the spiral down into sink estates and properties that don't get looked after by tenants / councils again?

Then what? Sell them to owners who will have more of a stake in looking after them etc.

HOLA449

Quite a bit of it goes to Rolex

More seriously. I don't like housing benefit or the fact that the UK is in a situation where it needs it. I don't think even Thatcher herself would like this outcome from the ideological shift that she led. I don't know the way out of it either. Building more public sector / not for profit homes would do it, but where does the money for that come from - remember, the UK is skint and getting skinter.

And what happens with more public sector homes - do we just start the spiral down into sink estates and properties that don't get looked after by tenants / councils again?

Then what? Sell them to owners who will have more of a stake in looking after them etc.

I'm presuming the etc. consists of what has happened with RTB up until now -

1) the new owners selling the house on* as soon as the rules allowed, making a profit

2) the new owners losing the house because they couldn't keep up the repayments / had MEWed and couldn't keep up the repayments / were scammed, and the creditors who took the house selling the house on*

* very often to landlords who take tenants on LHA, neither of whom have much interest in looking after the properties.

HOLA4410

I'm presuming the etc. consists of what has happened with RTB up until now -

1) the new owners selling the house on* as soon as the rules allowed, making a profit

2) the new owners losing the house because they couldn't keep up the repayments / had MEWed and couldn't keep up the repayments / were scammed, and the creditors who took the house selling the house on*

* very often to landlords who take tenants on LHA, neither of whom have much interest in looking after the properties.

pretty much that

you would always have to allow for a proportion of properties that were subject to an unexpected / undesired outcome

and, if you are going to judge someone as responsible enough to buy a house, then you have to judge them responsible enough to do with it as they choose once the ownership has passed to them

but selling off publicly owned housing without replacing it in line with properly managed demand is, surely, just a recipe for disaster somewhere down the line isn't it?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I heard some of this and heard that if you stop housing benefit, there would be a housing shortage. Then I turned the radio off.

it was more balanced than that, I suspect you just got unlucky - David Willetts even suggested you get rid of housing benefits

HOLA4415

but selling off publicly owned housing without replacing it in line with properly managed demand is, surely, just a recipe for disaster somewhere down the line isn't it?

Why? The owners don't destroy housing. The problem is that housing benefit creates demand (particularly when people can get off a plane and get it) and the planning system stops the demand being met.

Mostly into LLs' pockets, isn't it?

It also benefits tenants who get it. If someone gave me unlimited food benefit Waitrose would benefit because I would shop there instead of Sainsburys/Tesco. However so would I as I would have the best of everything and not Sainsbury's cheapest available.

It harms the people who pay it, it sometimes harms people working part time as they have a benefit trap.

HOLA4416

Building more public sector / not for profit homes would do it, but where does the money for that come from - remember, the UK is skint and getting skinter.

Future savings on housing benefit? I suppose that would involve forward thinking on the part of the government though.

HOLA4417