House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Pop Music Being Pumped Out In Public All The Time

Not one I wanted to bury in the Inconsequential Things thread because I do find this one really strange.

Why is there this unwritten agreement that so many places continually play pop music? At varying volumes admittedly but often so loud that you have to raise your voice to speak to the person next to you.

Usually I manage to avoid this but a slightly cheaper sunshine holiday has brought it home to me just how prevelant this and usually how loud. At the pool, on a boat trip amidst beautiful scenery, at bars, at meals, in the street, on a coach.

Pretty much anywhere somebody can stick a speaker there is one and it's playing loud music.

I loathe this and used to have a book called "The Quiet Pint" which purely listed pubs that did not play music as the only criterion for inclusion.

Maybe I don't have the filtering mechanism that most do but I find it actively stops me thinking and my conversation is entirely limited to the immediate - "Look at that" "Another drink" as anything more complex is hard to hear. And as it's hard to concentrate I usually just shunt my brain into idle and revert to a kind of waking sleep.

Not a grumpy old man thing, as per earlier post I couldn't stand night clubs at 17 for the exact same reason. Now however it is everywhere. Make it stop please!

Don't see it as much of a problem outside pubs. Any music in shops is usually at a low volume.

I don't like ****s on public transport whose headphones leak sound or who just inflict their music on everyone via their phone.

Why is there this unwritten agreement that so many places continually play pop music? At varying volumes admittedly but often so loud that you have to raise your voice to speak to the person next to you.lier post I couldn't stand night clubs at 17 for the exact same reason. Now however it is everywhere. Make it stop please!

My view is that it's due originally either to management's lack of confidence, or their correct view, that their establishment is sufficiently unattractive to gain enough clientele to provide a natural background hubbub giving that Joie de vivre feeling.

Then, playing music became copycat behaviour

However, places that defiantly don't play music tend to be confident enough, or to realise, they will be sufficiently popular to not need to hide a deafening silence.

They want you off the seats so the next customer comes in. Sit and listen the next time you pick up a coffee at a fast food restaurant. It also stops people sleeping in the upstairs seating during winter.

There is a big industry in making bland pop music. Not offensive, not too emotional, not religious, corporate friendly-music-R-US.

I'll generally avoid places that inflict unpleasant noises on me. Fortunately in the UK there's usually a choice of somewhere quiet, though shopping for clothes or shoes can be an ordeal. Of course, that means I'm excluded from the statistical samples that "prove" shoppers can be productively herded.

December's the worst, when our local supermarket inflicts muzak on us, and the low winter sun in the eyes makes even the journey to the peaceful haven of Lidl[1] rather perilous.

[1] Different branch, having moved house since the story linked.

Maybe I don't have the filtering mechanism that most do but I find it actively stops me thinking and my conversation is entirely limited to the immediate - "Look at that" "Another drink" as anything more complex is hard to hear. And as it's hard to concentrate I usually just shunt my brain into idle and revert to a kind of waking sleep.

You've already worked it out. It stops you thinking. Lets you maximise your mindless consumption. There is no solution.

Strange how it inflicts in all the places of leisure but is generally discouraged in the (professional) workplace though, hey? <_<

Can't stand it. We need more quiet, not less. Occasionally a pub might be playing something I actually like (not that I'm particularly keen on music in pubs), elsewhere it's usually about as pleasant as being surrounded by mosquitoes.