House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

What Happened To Seedless Tomatoes?

I have noticed that it is getting very hard to buy seedless tomatoes these days - the rubber balls, of all varieties, grown in the Netherlands seem to be the worst for seeds.

Why is this?

Is it because seeds are suddenly considered good for our health.

I can recall when seedless tomatoes first began appearing in the 1970s en masse - it was a headline news story. It made the television news and newspapers ran stories about this new wonder of tomatoes without seeds.

As bizarre as it sounds but loads of people, before seedless tomatoes started to be grown, used to de-seed their tomatoes out of worries of the seeds lodging in the appendix. I can recall many a story told when I was a child of someone who had died as the result of appendictitus believed to have been brought on by a seed from a fruit or... an evil tomato.

Am I going insane? Or has anyone else noticed this?

Seedless tomatos are like calfless cows! Won't survive. Cannibalism is the future.

I was just looking at the responses here and momentarilly imagined the lot of you captured by the Nazis in WW2 and interrogated for the allied plans for the invasion of Europe. No doubt, after talking with you lot, Rommel would have placed the bulk of his forces in Himalayas.

For some reason, this thread reminded me of my prep school dinners (that weren't free) where the following were filled with somethimg red that bore no resemblance to tomatoes (seedless or otherwise) or to tomato sauce, but rather to thick red vinegar.

003440.1_1.jpg

Funny enough, I was recently thinking, I bet cavemen ate a load more seeds than we do. I've started swallowing my plum stones. Also I've been eating lot of wild fruit growing by the roadside, That I don't even know what it is. Possibly elderberries.

Deadly Nightshade family.

Ever tried the berries? Interesting (as well as beautiful), but careful not to overdose.

This is not advice. You're probably safer with magic mushrooms, or other substances associated with the 1960s.

Funny enough, I was recently thinking, I bet cavemen ate a load more seeds than we do. I've started swallowing my plum stones. Also I've been eating lot of wild fruit growing by the roadside, That I don't even know what it is. Possibly elderberries.

Don't eat the stuff near main roads - they suck up all the containments from petrol and diesel.

Don't eat the stuff near main roads.

It's by the cycle path. They've sucked up nothing but the sweat of vigorous young Europeans. Plus all the pesticides and fertilizer from the farm fields on the other side of course.

I didn't think you had any and if you do I bet that's painful!!