House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

End Of Free School Meals...

Someone is whinging that the tories have sprung this from nowhere.
Has it not been discussed anywhere in the recent reforms?

Or can tories really just change policies without consulting anyone?

Someone is whinging that the tories have sprung this from nowhere.

Has it not been discussed anywhere in the recent reforms?

Or can tories really just change policies without consulting anyone?

They only brought it in the year before the election to show they care about malnourished children.

Were never free in the first place. Everyone has to pay for them through taxation - and I would rather prefer not to pay for other people's childrens food if possible. Good news.

Were never free in the first place. Everyone has to pay for them through taxation - and I would rather prefer not to pay for other people's childrens food if possible. Good news.

I kind of agree, but of all the things we are forced to pay for via taxation, a single (supposedly healthy) meal a day for small children is way down on the less objectionable end of the spectrum for me.

If people can't afford to feed their children they obviously shouldn't be having children.

Other people (possibly without children) should not be made to pay for the profligacy of others.

I kind of agree, but of all the things we are forced to pay for via taxation, a single (supposedly healthy) meal a day for small children is way down on the less objectionable end of the spectrum for me.

We can either use your tax to feed a small child or destabilise country X and trigger large scale terrorism, I think puts it somewhat into context.

However if we are creating an economic system where people can't have and feed children there is something deeply wrong. It's like we are heading back into the Victorian era and earlier where large numbers of people can't afford to feed their children.

However if we are creating an economic system where people can't have and feed children there is something deeply wrong. It's like we are heading back into the Victorian era and earlier where large numbers of people can't afford to feed their children.

Do the poor really not have enough money to feed their children on?

I actually thought their position was free school meals for all children. I have no problem with paying for this provided the meals are healthy proper food. Parents shouldn't have children they can't afford but that is not the fault of the children.

Don't know if this is reliable - does state infants rather than children.

https://twitter.com/twcuddleston/status/645618366133178368

I actually thought their position was free school meals for all children. I have no problem with paying for this provided the meals are healthy proper food. Parents shouldn't have children they can't afford but that is not the fault of the children.

Don't know if this is reliable - does state infants rather than children.

https://twitter.com/twcuddleston/status/645618366133178368

It refers to infants because it is for all key stage 1 children, roughly 4-7 year olds. I believe the free school meals for "disadvantaged" children will remain.

If they f8cking stop them, I'm not going to school any more! ^_^

Guest eight

Daughter's school meals are £2.25/day. It's not exactly the end of the world, but it's hardly a trifling sum either.

Daughter's school meals are £2.25/day. It's not exactly the end of the world, but it's hardly a trifling sum either.

This is something to do with it. The school meal system is a bit of a cartel without much in the way of market forces (despite what the local authorities say in terms of having an open competition).

I felt that the Tory system was more about getting children into the school meal mindset, so that the suppliers would have a greater number of 'customers' - but I'm a bit cynical.

Not sure if a good thing or not, but the lefties protestations of starving kiddies, yet unable to find one such child, isnt very convincing.

Whilst at the same time **Mummy and Daddy seem to have plenty of cash for body art, smokes, the latest large screen tobisha in the front room and a fortnight in Benidorm every Summer.

Unemployed parents lived across the road from me with 3 kids, always moaning about never having any money ect. Seems clothing their kids with reasonable stuff came somewhat down the agenda.

I'm surprised the governbankment don't encourage children to take out long term loans to pay for their own school meals. It seems a missed opportunity to instil some economic reality at an early age. If not having to pay real money now pushes school meal prices up, they can always introduce an Help to Eat scheme.

This swings the balance more in favour of privately educating my children. The school I'm hoping to get them into have a purpose built cookhouse and the food is delicious (I got to sample on a tour with the head master). It's also FREE or inclusive with the fees. £2.25 a day (same for us) is not a trivial amount for two children as it adds up to £75 a month pro-rata and I've had the delight of eating there too (£2.70 as I had to pay the VAT) and it's not worth the money, tastes like poo.

Packed lunch can be made for under a quid. I was amazed when we found out we didn't have to pay for our middle daughter to have lunch at school.

No skin off my nose if they remove the subsidy, it's parents' responsibly to feed their children, not the taxpayer.

Edit: just noticed your post LTS, didn't intend to be contentious (just accidentally ;) )

Packed lunch can be made for under a quid. I was amazed when we found out we didn't have to pay for our middle daughter to have lunch at school.

No skin off my nose if they remove the subsidy, it's parents' responsibly to feed their children, not the taxpayer.

Edit: just noticed your post LTS, didn't intend to be contentious (just accidentally ;) )

Can of lager and some crisps?

Don't the gestapo search the paked lunch boxes these days and report you to the SS (social services) if they find a mars bar?

Don't the gestapo search the paked lunch boxes these days and report you to the SS (social services) if they find a mars bar?

There are a few oddities, not allowed a twix but can have a kitkat.

My wife tells me not to but anything fancy otherwise the other kids get jealous. Not sure I believe that one though.

Bake our own rolls so one of them with some cold cuts, 2 pieces of fruit and a kitkat. Fairly cheap lunch but does the job.

Oh they're not allowed any soft drinks (even fresh juice) as wel.

Can of lager and some crisps?

Thanks thombleached :)

Many a thing said in jest Mr Pin, that ring true.

My school lunches (year 11, lower and upper 6th) were mostly spent in the Plough 2 pints and a packet of crisps (or bowl of chips) ~£2. Before I put in for a *raise we would get £1.20 dinner money (schools recommended rate) to spend in the canteen as we wished or down town with parental consent. A plate of chips was 25p and a cream bun 7p saving a £1 and alternating days in the pub. *I cheekily told my mother that the new rate was going to be £2 and my boffin sister unexpectedly backed this statement up and other than Christmas dinner I never set foot in the canteen again.

Edit: Another anecdotal... when I was a young lad and into the young farmers thing and especially the British Association for Shooting and Conservation we went on quite a few events, shoots and training days which were also attended by the then Chief Constable of **** ******. Mostly held in rural pubs and as I was way too young to be served alcohol, which was fine as the chief was more than happy to take the orders for me. Completely off on a tangent but another reason why I liked the 90s (wrong thread I know), no body bothered you, people were only too happy to help you and it was an age of innocence.