House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Who Pays For Returning Goods To Amazon Sellers?

Bought an item of clothing last week from an Amazon seller. Arrived but was way too small. I have asked for a refund. The seller has sent me a return label but no postage paid - so is it normal for the buyer to pay the return postage?

Under the legislation applying to distance transactions ("cooling off period") I believe that the retailer is obliged to put the customer back in the same position they were in before the purchase.

So the retailer is obliged to pay or refund the postage, regardless of the reason for return.

I think.

Other opinions appreciated.

I've always got a postage paid returns label from Amazon for faulty goods.

I bought a hard disk from Ebay last week which wouldn't format properly. I processed a return online and had a "Royal Mail Tracked" label in my inbox within a few seconds.

Amazon's returns info is very clear - they are supposed to pay - so I will pay for it to be tracked as a return myself and then claim it back from Amazon if I do not get the money back from them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149431

Ordered a pair of cycling tights for the winter - a good 3 or 4 inches too short for me.

Ah, Amazon gives sellers an opt out clause here:

If you described and listed the item accurately, but the buyer simply no longer wants it, you have the option to refund the item price but not refund the delivery costs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201007730

If the return is because the product has a manufacturing fault or the wrong product was shipped ie you ordered red paint and they sent blue then in an ideal world the retailer should pay.

If you don't want it because the colour doesn't match your living room, it doesn't fit but it is the correct size (manufacturers label stating 34" waist inside would be considered correct you thinking it's a 'small' 34" probably wouldn't justify a claim the retailer had supplied and incorrect product) then you must pay return postage - this is distance selling regulations.

If the return is because the product has a manufacturing fault or the wrong product was shipped ie you ordered red paint and they sent blue then in an ideal world the retailer should pay.

If you don't want it because the colour doesn't match your living room, it doesn't fit but it is the correct size (manufacturers label stating 34" waist inside would be considered correct you thinking it's a 'small' 34" probably wouldn't justify a claim the retailer had supplied and incorrect product) then you must pay return postage - this is distance selling regulations.

OK, thanks.

Still going to sulk - the length of them was ridiculously short. I doubt they would have fitted someone who takes regular length. I am miffed because I read loads of reviews where people said they were long enough... and even asked questions about the length... and peopel said they were fine. However, just as I was about to order they put up a new style with a zip pocket so I ordered the newer ones. Big mistake.

Guest eight

I've got a good one for you. I ordered a Silverline sash clamp off Ebay described as "900mm" - I needed literally all of 900mm clamping. Turns out it only opens to 810mm - this is clearly stated on the Silverline website I have linked, but was not reiterated by the Ebay seller and I didn't think to check before ordering as the description seemed fairly unequivocal. Which party has ****ed up here?

I can't be bothered to send it back, by the way. I got the 1200mm one from Screwfix instead.

I've got a good one for you. I ordered a Silverline sash clamp off Ebay described as "900mm" - I needed literally all of 900mm clamping. Turns out it only opens to 810mm - this is clearly stated on the Silverline website I have linked, but was not reiterated by the Ebay seller and I didn't think to check before ordering as the description seemed fairly unequivocal. Which party has ****ed up here?

I can't be bothered to send it back, by the way. I got the 1200mm one from Screwfix instead.

Yes, that is interesting. Not fully speccing the item seems to allow the seller a get out clause. You see an item for sale, make asusmptions from what you have seen or read of the product elsewhere but when it comes from a third party reseller, who has not fully listed the spec, you are left paying the costs.

Lesson learnt for me - will not order from Amazon resellers in future.