House Price Crash Forum

Warning Of Military Coup In The Uk?

Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA441

This should put off a few property investors:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3241904/We-won-t-stand-Army-brass-warn-MUTINY-Jeremy-Corbyn-Prime-Minister.html

The senior serving general, speaking anonymously to the Sunday Times, said Mr Corbyn's victory has been greeted with 'wholesale dismay' in the army.

He added: 'There would be mass resignations at all levels and you would face the very real prospect of an event which would effectively be a mutiny.

'Feelings are running very high within the armed forces. You would see a major break in convention with senior generals directly and publicly challenging Corbyn over vital important policy decisions such as Trident, pulling out of Nato and any plans to emasculate and shrink the size of the armed forces.

'The Army just wouldn't stand for it. The general staff would not allow a prime minister to jeopardise the security of this country and I think people would use whatever means possible, fair or foul to prevent that. You can't put a maverick in charge of a country's security.'

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Hadn't Mountbatten planned something similar against the Wilson government?

Something like that.

If the UK got through the 70s without a coup, it can manage Corbyn. Besides which, how will they stage a coup when most of the soldiers are off fighting goat herders in some corner of the third world?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Lets hope the General has not read the attached over on the Army Rumour Service Board

Latest in the SDSR saga is in the Sunday Times today (I don't have online subscription so can't link actual article). Essentially its saying that current plans for SDSR are built around a growth back up to 12 Fast Jet squadrons by keeping the Tranche 1 typhoons in service and possibly the Tornado too for longer, in order to build up more mass in the FJ fleet. The RN is likely to grow by 2500 (10%) to fully man the carriers and submarine force.

Meanwhile the Army is likely to see senior ranks slashed, and vehicles mothballed and reduced opportunities - the review seems to be setting a course (if true!) for an Army that does relatively little, while the RN and RAF do the bulk of power projection.
Basically the army has done itself no favours over recent years. The Generals have promised much to various governments but generally only delivered body bags and poor headlines in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The MOD and politicians of all hues have generally decided there is little point in throwing money at an army that generally ends up tied in expensive and unwinnable land wars. For much of its history the UK had little or no standing army and depended on the navy to project power.
I am sure this view is also shared by many in the Admiralty who think the much of the armies role of projecting UK force could be done just as well by an enhanced general marine corp like the USMC with the armies role being kept as a trained reserve. Anyway the army is too small to fight any serious wars without either mass conscription and/or the US providing most of the grunt.
Given these facts any rebel Generals thinking of committing treason ought to act know because they are going to be filleted by Cameron and Osborne long before Corbyn even gets to present his case to the public at a General Election

HOLA4410
Guest TheBlueCat

I seem to recall similar stories when Foot was leader of the Labour party. Much as I think it won't happen, if the public vote for it, then the armed forces will have to suck it up, I doubt very much that a military coup would get anywhere. All the same, if this is actually a real comment by a senior military person, then there needs to be a very thorough investigation followed by a court martial for whoever said it.

HOLA4411

Something like that.

If the UK got through the 70s without a coup, it can manage Corbyn. Besides which, how will they stage a coup when most of the soldiers are off fighting goat herders in some corner of the third world?

I suspect they might be needed a little closer to home quite soon, if things on the continent carry on as they are.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Exactly. Tony Benn always warned of the dangers lurking in the so called UK constitution.

All I can say is remember Gough Whitlam, where incredibly in the 1970's the Queens consular general of Australia still had the right to sack the Australian Prime Minister and used it to everyone's disbelief and surprise. It was a legal manouevre that was open to them.

The laws, if you let them sit on the statutes, will one day come back to bite you on the bum when the conditions are right.

The reason the British were historically hostile to the idea of a standing army was precisely because it would be used to override the will of Parliament.

What is the good General going to do if some of the military decide they are going to side with their opponents

I would say that would be a queue for a rerun of the civil wars of the 17th century particularly if the situation causes resistance in Scotland or Ulster

Good to know that some twit of a General wants a replay of a conflict that is estimated to have killed a higher percentage of the population of England, Scotland and Ireland than the First World War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

All worth it though so long as a few of the current useless army top brass (and believe me the ex soldiers on ARRSE use a lot stronger language) can keep their current promotion prospects open.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The UK military top brass are pretty sh1t at running the army.

How many wars have they won recently?

I am always amazed by UK general high esteem that they hold themselves in.

There really are a lot of fcking dummies at he top of the Army, Navy and Airforce.

HOLA4420

to achieve a high rank in the armed services means a whole career dedicated to that

no opportunity to connect with the world outside the forces / MOD / whitehall other than marching past clapping crowds or shooting at someone

does not make for a balanced world view does it?

HOLA4421

to achieve a high rank in the armed services means a whole career dedicated to that

no opportunity to connect with the world outside the forces / MOD / whitehall other than marching past clapping crowds or shooting at someone

does not make for a balanced world view does it?

Not really. In my experience it helps if your Dad/GrandDad was an officer.

Its a nepotistic make-work scheme for thickies.

HOLA4422

The Daily Mail piece is concerning in that it portrays Corbyn as so extreme that it forces the hand of an even handed armed forces to act on the people's behalf.

It takes us back. Although I wouldn't put Charles past it tbh, in concert with the armed forces.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jan/09/politics.past

Well Cameron tweeted that Corbyn was a threat to national security. You know, the bloke pretending to lead the country who sticks his d1ck in dead pigs heads at parties when hes not smoking cannabis or snorting cocaine, then toddles off to the palace to have a chat with the Queen.

David Cameron @David_Cameron Sep 13

The Labour Party is now a threat to our national security, our economic security and your family's security.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived