House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

New National Anthem, What Should It Be?

Some contenders:

Jerusalem - as set by Parry, it's a great piece of writing (both music and words) and I like the implication that there's still work to do rather than the usual 'everything's perfect' stuff most national anthems go with. I think the Welsh and Northern Irish might not like it though since it's all about England.

Rule Britannia - I actually can't stand this one, but it would wind the lefties up good and proper so definitely it should be on the list.

Land of Hope and Glory - the music's good but the words are almost as cheesy as Rule Britannia.

God Save the Queen - the Sex Pistols version that is. I like this for the ironic value, although it would be a bit tricky for the church choirs to bang out on Remembrance Sunday.

The Red Flag - if Corbyn becomes PM, it'll be this one. On the upside the music isn't bad and there's an alternative set of Christmasy lyrics for those not inclined towards dialectical materialism.

Ode To Joy - a great bit of music with some fairly decent lyrics in the original form (or so I'm told). Assuming a 'stay' vote in the forthcoming EU referendum, this one will likely be forced on us via a directive at some point anyway so maybe it's worth getting ahead of the curve to allow the WI and others to brush up on their German in advance.

Did I miss any? Any other suggestions?

edit: grammar

All those weird time signatures would give Olive, the 90 year old organist from St. Oswalds parish church, a heart attack!

It's a Waltz FFS, Can't you count to three? :wacko:

you do realise the song is about street heroin don't you?

That's why I chose it!.

It's a Waltz FFS, Can't you count to three? :wacko:

It alternates between 6/8 and 7/8! A waltz would be in 3/4. Maybe it's a kind of smashed out of your skull on heroin waltz?

Could go fully German and please the Queen with 'Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Über alles in der Welt ... '

German, German Overalls! I quite like that one.

It alternates between 6/8 and 7/8! A waltz would be in 3/4. Maybe it's a kind of smashed out of your skull on heroin waltz?

I can do that on the guitar!

Tubthumping by chumbawumba.

Captures the nihilistic drunken despair of the sheeple.

I saw the Chumbas! Many years ago. More musical than I thought!

Ace of Spades by Motorhead

I will pay good money to see Jeremy Corbyn sing along to that

On Edit -

If You want something a little more conventional I Vow To Thee My Country both has a good tune from Gustav Holst and decent lyrics from Cecil Spring Rice that are patriotic and uplifting but not bombastic or jingostic.

The sentiments might be a little too Christian for some taste since it is essentially a hymn.