House Price Crash Forum

Factors Affecting Speed Of Slide

HOLA441

I take my kids to the park every few days. Sometimes the metal slide is fast... Other days slow. What affects the friction (other than their clothing)? Heat? Moisture? I'm excluding rainy days from this as they always result in super slippy slide!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I think you have all the reasons there

I guess my question is when is the slide fastest and why? Is dry faster than slightly damp? Is warn faster than cold?

I could do experiments but the kids would get bored!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Friction is a big part and friction is determined by such things as temperature, humidity, clothing, etc. If the slide is metal and the temperature/humidity is correct then you wil get a thin layer of moisture on the metal surface of the slide which will reduce friction.

But then clothing comes into affect - what kind of clothing is being worn. I imagine that different people wearing different clothing, and having different weights and also sliding techniques, will have different speeds. On some days being naked will make you slide faster but, on other days when the temperature and humidity are different, being naked will mean that you effectively stick to the slide.

Or one for the HPC intellectuals:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I take my kids to the park every few days. Sometimes the metal slide is fast... Other days slow. What affects the friction (other than their clothing)? Heat? Moisture? I'm excluding rainy days from this as they always result in super slippy slide!

I was bemoaning this the other day. Im convinced the council put some sort of substance on it to slow the kids down. Sometimes they just stop halfway down so youhaveto push them the rest of way.

I bring a can of silicone spray with me to the park for the slides now. (Furniture polish works well).

Cant do much about the rubbish roundabouts set into the ground though. One grain of sand in it and it grinds to a halt. Back in the day, once youstarted a roundabout it didnt stop for hours. Where did they get those bearings from.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

In my day, a multi kid push on a roundabout could generate near fatal G's. We could make a NASA centrifuge look like a hamster wheel

We used to put a stick or stone under the roundabout then once it got going we'd lay down and try and pick the object up as we wizzed round. Took the skin off my hands quite a few times. Still kept doing it though.

As for slides, we used to rub wax crayon on them.

HOLA4418
Guest TheBlueCat

I don't know if I was the only one to do this when I was a kid but, if you could be bothered, polishing a slide either with proper floor polish if you were posh or using the inside of those old style waxed bread packets if not would turbo-charge them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

As for slides, we used to rub wax crayon on them.

In the mid-70s, a bloke called Mr Heath kept turning the lights off and so our mothers stocked up on candles.

It was these rather than crayons that we used to rub on the slides to speed 'em up.

Oh, and of course going down a slide on a Raleigh Chopper could reduce friction considerably.

Thing was, this was when Evel Knievel was at the height of his powers, so you had to get the Chopper up the slide not via the steps - you would be bullied for being soft - but by riding up the slide.

Success rates on tall slides were well below 50%, and when you ran out of steam 3/4 of the way up, the decision was try to hang on while the bike slid backwards to terra firma, or release the bike and try and jump clear of the slide.

Both methods often involved pain...lots of it...!!!

I loved the 70s me... :)

XYY

HOLA4421

As sprogs we used to wax our local slide with the stub of a candle. You'd fly off it. Thinking back, we must have been leaving a death trap for anyone who came later.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

In the mid-70s, a bloke called Mr Heath kept turning the lights off and so our mothers stocked up on candles.

It was these rather than crayons that we used to rub on the slides to speed 'em up.

Oh, and of course going down a slide on a Raleigh Chopper could reduce friction considerably.

Thing was, this was when Evel Knievel was at the height of his powers, so you had to get the Chopper up the slide not via the steps - you would be bullied for being soft - but by riding up the slide.

Success rates on tall slides were well below 50%, and when you ran out of steam 3/4 of the way up, the decision was try to hang on while the bike slid backwards to terra firma, or release the bike and try and jump clear of the slide.

Both methods often involved pain...lots of it...!!!

I loved the 70s me... :)

XYY

I always found it more fun to apply the wax crayon to my bottom.

HOLA4425

I once wore some problem trunks at a water park. I really struggled down the slide and was very concerned a fat bald bloke would come cannon balling into me round a blind corner if I didn't get to the bottom quickly.

Our best trick with the water slide things at the local swimming pool was to get half way down then stop and prop ourselves tightly with arms and legs against the ceiling of the closed tube.

Peoples' faces as they went past underneath us were a joy to behold.

And then we were told to leave.

Archived