House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dogbox

What Is The 'essence' Of Being A Bear?

Many of u are life - long bears, although some fool themselves by cloaking this with the 'Im a realist' wrapper.

A lookback into history tells us that bears are usually wrong, so why does 'bearishness' persist?

+When cars came along, the bears predicted the Iron Monsters would never supercede the Horse & cart.

+Railways were predicted to be instrucments of the Devil that would result in huge death tolls

+When Japananese industry rose from the ashes, the bears told us the end was niegh for UK plc

+When AIDS came along the bears predicted millions in the UK would become infected

+Y2K the bears told us would = economic meltdown

+DOTCOM bust was to be the catalyist for another 1929 depression

+Nuclear armaggedon was touted as a virtual certainty

+Most new business ideas are dismissed by those of a bearish pursuasion. I recall many a bear predicting the new wave of coffee houses in the mid nineties would'nt last the winter

Life is really hard at times, but being bearish merely compounds negativity.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I always thought Bull and Bear was an exclusive term used in Finance and Investment. :unsure:

I always thought Bull and Bear was an exclusive term used in Finance and Investment. :unsure:

Are you saying that property is not an investment?

Are you saying that BTL LL's are not investing money in property?

Are you saying that an STR is not shorting the property market??

Perhaps pessimist is a better label?

Anyway, people seem to fall into the bearish / bullish camps and remain there for life.

Lifelong bears usually percieve themselves as realists, which is pretty disengenous.

Edited by dogbox

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Are you saying that property is not an investment?

Are you saying that BTL LL's are not investing money in property?

Please read all his post. <_<

Many of u are life - long bears, although some fool themselves by cloaking this with the 'Im a realist' wrapper.

I`m a Realist and as you say below an old Git to boot. :P

For short-selling, you have to sell something that doesn't belong to you (borrowed).

Selling something that you presently own isn't the same.

I like your new sig, LL, by the way. :P

A lookback into history tells us that bears are usually wrong, so why does 'bearishness' persist?

+When cars came along, the bears predicted the Iron Monsters would never supercede the Horse & cart.

+Railways were predicted to be instrucments of the Devil that would result in huge death tolls

+When Japananese industry rose from the ashes, the bears told us the end was niegh for UK plc

+When AIDS came along the bears predicted millions in the UK would become infected

+Most new business ideas are dismissed by those of a bearish pursuasion. I recall many a bear predicting the new wave of coffee houses in the mid nineties would'nt last the winter

You are describing a pessimist not a bear.

I think the prevailing spirit of the site is contrarian.

Most of the folk you label bears will be in the minority group of property bulls in five years time.

I think the prevailing spirit of the site is contrarian.

NO - this is what the bears always argue but its innacurate.

Read most of the titles to threads and what comes through is pessimism about the future.

I promise u that many bears who think thier condition is temporary will realise one day that it is very much part and parcel of thier personality.

Think abou the old gits who say "Indian food, Id never eat that muck" or "Id never want a mobile phone - they give u cancer" or "never buy property abroad - you'll loose the lot" or "shopping online will never catch on" or "pay your mortage down before you invest" or "societies going down the pan" (all generations have always said this) or "never invest in shares" and so on.

They think they are 100% logical and realistic when in fact they are 1/2 blind.

NO - this is what the bears always argue but its innacurate.

Read most of the titles to threads and what comes through is pessimism about the future.

I promise u that many bears who think thier condition is temporary will realise one day that it is very much part and parcel of thier personality.

Think abou the old gits who say "Indian food, Id never eat that muck" or "Id never want a mobile phone - they give u cancer" or "never buy property abroad - you'll loose the lot" or "shopping online will never catch on" or "pay your mortage down before you invest" or "societies going down the pan" (all generations have always said this) or "never invest in shares" and so on.

They think they are 100% logical and realistic when in fact they are 1/2 blind.

Being a bear on property means that your current expectation is for a fall. A lot of people who post here are pessimistic about the future because they are educated enough to realise that what goes up must come down and don't believe the myth that "it's different this time".

The STR's expect to buy after the correction.

The FTB's hope to buy after the correction.

Bulls buy Bears sell.

There are a number of pessimistic poster's but that doesn't make them Bears it makes them pessimists.

For short-selling, you have to sell something that doesn't belong to you (borrowed).

Selling something that you presently own isn't the same.

I like your new sig, LL, by the way. :P

Re the short selling - I suppose I'm thinking if you jack in your mortgage - you are selling your mortgage which is borrowed = so shorting the market. (a bit tenuous I know)

Re the sig - Thanks. I would amend the where I come from too - but I'm not allowed to! It would save me from having to keep saying " round here - SW London, Wimbledon"

I would amend the where I come from too - but I'm not allowed to!

Hmmmm....

I like it that way though.

Makes me feel somehow superior.

:D

Why is it that bears are labelled 'pessimists' or 'doom-mongers'?

DOOM for who?

The investors who have made EASY money for doing nothing.

The LUCKY 'flippers' whose houses rose becuase of the market - not because of what they had done?

For a large MAJORITY of the population a House Price Correction would be a wonderful thing.

The retailers who find that people now have money to spend in their stores.

The FTB's who can NOW get on the ladder.

The OO's who can now look at moving up the ladder at realistic levels.

The Government for the Stamp Duty they will get in a bouyant market.

The Mortgage Lenders who find that instead of agreeing in principle they are actual taking out the mortgages.

To have a CORRECTION would be a wonderful thing. Thats not being pessimistic. I would say that Its someone who is looking forward to a brighter future.

The BTL bubble has burst, the housing market has burst - all good things come to an end.

Instead of us being the pessimist doom mongers - why not look at the so called losers in this correction as ask them to be realists?

TB

Wall Street saying;

There are bears, bulls, sheep, and pigs on Wall street. Bulls make money; bears make money, while sheep and pigs are eaten. Bulls become Bears when the trend is down, and visa versa."

Why is it that bears are labelled 'pessimists' or 'doom-mongers'?

I agree a HPC would be good on the whole.

My main point is that pessimism is a state of mind, whereas those that are pessimistic dont see it as a function of thier personality but as a 'given fact'. For example they think the rise of China spells doom for us just as those said of Japan or the motor car.

DESPITE PESSIMISM NEARLY ALWAYS BEING OVERDONE BY PESSIMISTS THROUGH HISTORY, MANY PEOPLE STILL WALK THE PESSIMISTC PATH.

You really can't help yourself, can u doggy ******? You insult without even trying.

The majority of people on this forum probably aren't 'eternal pessimists' or whatever the hell u r trying to insinuate, they have an opinion on ONE THING. Or perhaps TWO THINGS, AT THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME. I realize u may find this a terribly difficult concept, but most people here are bearish only on the following -

* house prices are massively overvalued and due a correction

and maybe

* the last 6 years and 600 biillion of extra debt wasnt a good thing, and may, in fact, have a NATURAL repercussion, i.e. a recession.

I think I speak for a lot of people on this site when I say that yes, house prices ARE overvalued and due a correction, and YES, a recession is also overdue, and NO, the long term future for most people on this forum is fine thanks, because we have all saved a ton of money by not buying property over the last 2 years or so, a ton of money that will allow us to buy FAR MORE property whenever the h*ll we feel like it over the next few years, plus, of course, allow us to weather any recession with 'cash in our pockets'.

The nutters predicting armageddon etc, obviously make up a very small minority. Now fug off back under your stone, rude boy.

I'm sure dogbox would have me down as a fully fledged bear/pessiment/life can only get worse kind of herbert.

I have a great belief in my own abilities. I have worked hard, started several businesses, been involved in start-ups that have then floated etc. So I am optimistic about my ability to meet life's challenges.

I am a bear on property for lots of reasons. The fact that it is and must go down is one of them, but I do take a broader view, I want a future for my children and anally high property prices with 200k mortgages to start them off in life is not ideal.

But, so many people are self-interested, there is so much anger in the world these days, we make so little of this wonderful world we find ourselves in - saddling ourselves with huge debts and crappy jobs - just to put a roof over our heads - no matter how optimistic I am about my own ability to exist - I am pessimistic about the direction we are collectively heading in.

I can't see the golden future that dogbox does where our technical superiority somehow maintains our high standards of living. Personally I think this is fantasy - people used to think this about the Japs - Made in Japan used to mean 'sold in Woolworths and crap'. It didn't take them long to become - well we all know what they have become. I read somewhere the other day about a Chinese operating system much better than Windows that they will sell for a tenth the price - they have a good market to start on and if you work in Thailand and can buy a new PC from China with a suite of software that does everything your existing stuff does - for feck all - well wouldn't be the first monopoly to go.

No dogbox that is not bearishness. You are confusing inveterate pessimism and doom-mongering with bearishness. The two things are completely different.

If I am bearish on stocks or house prices does not mean I believe they will collapse and the world will end and I think you are trying to generalise for effect.

Bearishness is not like a religion - its an attitude at a certain given moment towards a particular market. Its no less of a "rational" position to be bearish on a market than it is to be bullish.

You can't reasonably be saying you were "bullish" about AIDS can you?

The Fox

First 2 are rubbish they don't relate to being a bear or bull in anyway. Just people who can't see the future very well.

3 one (if it could be related to bears or bulls.) Bears would say "god this disease is nasty what can I find out about it Mmm perhaps I should wear a condom". Bulls would say no-one has died of this before I’m going to carry on shagging around and not use protection. The Government won't allow me to die!

4 - Bears made a packet by predicting doom :)

5 - interesting a lot of money lost, other money flew to property will see about this one if there is a major property crash then you can probably link this with dot-com i.e. this story hasn't ended yet.

6 - True although bear & bulls really relate to a particular investment e.g. Most bears on here clearly would like a property and may turn bullish in 5 - 10 years. There are very few bears on here that would have said property was a crap investment in 97.

And finally I’m quite like risk both in pastimes and investment. Not investing in property at the moment is nothing to do with being bearish it is about having a brain!!

You really can't help yourself, can u doggy ******? You insult without even trying.

The majority of people on this forum probably aren't 'eternal pessimists' or whatever the hell u r trying to insinuate, they have an opinion on ONE THING. Or perhaps TWO THINGS, AT THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME. I realize u may find this a terribly difficult concept, but most people here are bearish only on the following -

* house prices are massively overvalued and due a correction

and maybe

* the last 6 years and 600 biillion of extra debt wasnt a good thing, and may, in fact, have a NATURAL repercussion, i.e. a recession.

I think I speak for a lot of people on this site when I say that yes, house prices ARE overvalued and due a correction, and YES, a recession is also overdue, and NO, the long term future for most people on this forum is fine thanks, because we have all saved a ton of money by not buying property over the last 2 years or so, a ton of money that will allow us to buy FAR MORE property whenever the h*ll we feel like it over the next few years, plus, of course, allow us to weather any recession with 'cash in our pockets'.

The nutters predicting armageddon etc, obviously make up a very small minority. Now fug off back under your stone, rude boy.

Cr@pisunderblanket

Your'e deluded. You are one of those that dont only go on about wanting a HPC (which is fine btw) but you also glean satisfaction from virtually every pessimistic new topic and join with the general 'the end is niegh' tone