House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Ea - 'good Use Of The 20 Or So Empty Rentals'

'And he is now determined to see the 20 or so empty properties he has on his books put to good use.

Paul said: “I just thought why have all these properties sitting empty when there are people on the streets. I just thought I need to do something about this. I can help them get back on their feet. We want to help them start again”'

For free! Wow! Move aside Dali Lhama ...

Oh ...

'“I can give them the keys free of charge and help them apply for housing benefit,” he said. “Then they can come back to us once they have the benefit and rent from us, Also if they are on the streets they won’t have an address and won’t be able to apply for jobs.”'

Spending my tax to prop up his slumlords ...

Not sure what part of the country this is, but he obviously isn't asking for the rent level the market will bare. That's the real problem, there would be a lot less homelessness without the artificial prop of housing benefit.

Mathematical calculations are applied to the list of rents to determine the LHA rate which is set as the lower of:

the 30th percentile on a list of rents in the Broad Rental Market Area
the existing LHA plus an uplift of 1%
the existing LHA plus an uplift of 4% (only selected LHA rates in specific BRMAs set out in the regulations)
LHA rates can not be higher than the following maximum weekly rents: :

£258.06 for one room, shared accommodation
£258.06 for one bedroom exclusive use
£299.34 for 2 bedroom accommodation
£350.95 for 3 bedroom accommodation
£412.89 for 4 bedroom accommodation

There's a lovely table of data
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140711154517/http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/RentOfficers/LHARates/april2014lha.html

LHA is the lower end of rents.

Or should be.

Not sure what part of the country this is, but he obviously isn't asking for the rent level the market will bare. That's the real problem, there would be a lot less homelessness without the artificial prop of housing benefit.

Middlesbrough/Stockton/County Durham

He needs to set market clearing rents.

Here's RM rental within 3miles of 'boro train station

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?searchType=RENT&locationIdentifier=STATION^6197&insId=1&radius=3.0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&displayPropertyType=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&sortByPriceDescending=&_includeLetAgreed=on&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&letType=&letFurnishType=&houseFlatShare=false

251 houses for let.

107 flats for let.

There's probably double or triple that in newsagent windows.

Mathematical calculations are applied to the list of rents to determine the LHA rate which is set as the lower of:

the 30th percentile on a list of rents in the Broad Rental Market Area

the existing LHA plus an uplift of 1%

the existing LHA plus an uplift of 4% (only selected LHA rates in specific BRMAs set out in the regulations)

LHA rates can not be higher than the following maximum weekly rents: :

£258.06 for one room, shared accommodation

£258.06 for one bedroom exclusive use

£299.34 for 2 bedroom accommodation

£350.95 for 3 bedroom accommodation

£412.89 for 4 bedroom accommodation

There's a lovely table of data

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140711154517/http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/RentOfficers/LHARates/april2014lha.html

LHA is the lower end of rents.

Or should be.

Another of Labour's massive fck ups, which rewarded the relatively rich and screwed the poor.

Stupid bints in LA blindly pushing up rents, thinking it;ll be helpful.

I am not sure there are many people homeless, all but for being able to fill in the forms for HB

If there are and he helps them to claim a benefit to which they are entitled and that the state machine has not sorted for them, then I give him credit for applying some thought to the matter in hand

It would make the life of the homeless people he helped better and that is no bad thing

Out of 20 cases, I would expect 10 to work out OK, 5 to be hard work and 5 to prove to be a waste of effort

Whilst the HB system is clearly wrong, I have no problem with people working within its rules to achieve a good outcome for themselves.

I am not sure there are many people homeless, all but for being able to fill in the forms for HB

If there are and he helps them to claim a benefit to which they are entitled and that the state machine has not sorted for them, then I give him credit for applying some thought to the matter in hand

It would make the life of the homeless people he helped better and that is no bad thing

Out of 20 cases, I would expect 10 to work out OK, 5 to be hard work and 5 to prove to be a waste of effort

Whilst the HB system is clearly wrong, I have no problem with people working within its rules to achieve a good outcome for themselves.

boro has plenty of housing.

The few homeless are either the odd transient or total scum who have been thrown out for 'anti-social' behaviour - dirty protests, dealing smack.

What 'boro needs is housing aligned to local wages. Mr Redundancy payment EA business is not doing anything for that, the reverse in fact.

boro has plenty of housing.

The few homeless are either the odd transient or total scum who have been thrown out for 'anti-social' behaviour - dirty protests, dealing smack.

What 'boro needs is housing aligned to local wages. Mr Redundancy payment EA business is not doing anything for that, the reverse in fact.

if that is the case, then his plan to make 20 or so decent tenants out of the available pool of homeless people will come to nothing

fair enough