House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Endangered Species

My house is modern, and does not have fireplaces. Unfortunately I have puchased a large sideboard. I must have left the window open or something, as a large male brown mantel clock has just started roosting there. Bit late in the year, but it has already found a couple of wonky candlesticks, two porcelain dogs, and a framed picture of people I don't recognise, in order to attract a mate. I can't stand its relentless quartery bongs. Am I allowed to get a tame long case "grandfather" style clock, to scare the sh1t out of it? :wacko:

My house is modern, and does not have fireplaces. Unfortunately I have puchased a large sideboard. I must have left the window open or something, as a large male brown mantel clock has just started roosting there. Bit late in the year, but it has already found a couple of wonky candlesticks, two porcelain dogs, and a framed picture of people I don't recognise, in order to attract a mate. I can't stand its relentless quartery bongs. Am I allowed to get a tame long case "grandfather" style clock, to scare the sh1t out of it? :wacko:

Just stop winding up the bong and it'll quieten down.

Just stop winding up the bong and it'll quieten down.

A bit like the Internet? :huh:

You have already lost, just accept that you are now a wind up clock person. It began in my house with one clock, now there are five, one of them a long case. Getting them to chime at the same time is now part of my life.

When you get the long case clock you will feel the need to spend more than it is worth having it professionally restored. Resistance is hopeless, the clock will always win.

Some of the clocks you attract will once have been prized posessions of deceased relatives. You will feel that to neglect them is to dishonour the memory of your loved ones.

Of course the clocks will attract other arcana. You already have wonky candle sticks, soon the fountain pens will start. Try to keep them in a box not a display case, retain some dignity.

If you have a wife or partner small pointless artistic things in bronze or porcelain are almost inevitable.

I am now at the restoring toy boats stage of pointless obsolete household articles.

At least we have the indoor version of the affliction and are not at risk of going the full railway/traction engine.

Keep us posted on the objects which acquire you.

edit typo

You have already lost, just accept that you are now a wind up clock person. It began in my house with one clock, now there are five, one of them a long case. Getting them to chime at the same time is now part of my life.

When you get the long case clock you will feel the need to spend more than it is worth having it professionally restored. Resistance is hopeless, the clock will always win.

I'm afraid I have bought clocks before. I am a serial offender. I have a nice bonging female clock, and I think she needs a partner?

I'm afraid I have bought clocks before. I am a serial offender. I have a nice bonging female clock, and I think she needs a partner?

Once you have had the thought the deed will inevitably follow.

Actually I'm looking for an Austrian wall clock, that would make Hitler proud. Otherwise I like the French ones, although their cars are not so good. I want one of those black slate ones that have fallen out of fashion.

If anyone's interested, I may be able to lay my hands on a few buckshee pigeon-clocks...

XYY

I'm always amazed, the little birdies can fly with that strapped to their back. I guess Northern pigeons are "proper hard". :blink:

These are collector's items, and I wouldn't part with them easily , they are worth a few bob. :wacko:

Actually I'm looking for an Austrian wall clock, that would make Hitler proud. Otherwise I like the French ones, although their cars are not so good. I want one of those black slate ones that have fallen out of fashion.

I have a very pretty french clock that was given to my grandmother as a wedding present.

I have a very pretty french clock that was given to my grandmother as a wedding present.

What brand is it? :wacko: I'm absolutely a sucker for these things, and American cars!

What brand is it? :wacko: I'm absolutely a sucker for these things, and American cars!

Dont know, there are no makers marks visible, possibly they are on the front of the movement. I'm going out now but I will try to post a picture later.

I really thought the internet would have a grandfather clock turned into a car but seems not. Where's northerner with his superior google image skillz?

American cars are not economical but this is and, if you actually had a job, you would never be late to it again.

Grandfather_Clock_on_a_Motorbike_in_Viet

I really thought the internet would have a grandfather clock turned into a car but seems not. Where's northerner with his superior google image skillz?

American cars are not economical but this is and, if you actually had a job, you would never be late to it again.

My goodness, that clock deserves to be in a Chinese whore house! Actually I imagine that's where it's going.