House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Gumtree - What's The Secret

I have something to sell. Has been sat in a box for months, might as well get rid of it.

Ideally the buyer would be local and collect. So I ambled over to Gumtree and registered, confirmed that, and then placed the (free) advert. Text, pictures, all good.

Three hours later it finally moved from "Processing" to being live on the site. Five minutes after that it vanished. I found it by selecting "Manage Ads" and then choosing "Removed" from the drop down list. And there it was. Odd.

I put it on again. This time it was "removed" within five minutes.

This seems to be quite common, judging by many threads on forums on the net. No notification nor explanation is given.

I read the rules, belatedly, and there is nothing about the ad that contravenes them. It is not a banned item, it's a turntable. There's nothing wrong with the ad in any respect nor does it differ substantially to those already on there. Though this particular item would have been the only one of its type, there aren't any comparable ones.

At which point I thought "To hell with you" and moved on. However there aren't that many places that I can see to advertise this. I have put it on a hi-fi forum, but it's relatively obscure, and this is a "mass market" hi-fi item in quite some demand (a Rega RP3 turntable less than a year old).

I really don't want to deal with eBay and PayPal, I almost ended up suing PayPal some years ago and I'm old enough to hold grudges, plus it's not an insubstantial sum of money and as I read it, all the buyer has to do is claim it didn't turn up, was damaged, or whatever, and I end up with no item and no money.

Is there a secret to getting ads approved on Gumtree..

Try posting it up again with a verified note with the time and date written on a peice of paper in the picture with the turntable.

Could be they think you are a trader or something.

Its common on car forums if your selling parts to show a peice of paper with the time and date on it, so buyers can see its a private seller and not a trader who has taken a stock picture from the internet.

Hmmm...

I thought I'd try again.

So I used Chrome instead - no saved cookies.

Used a GMail email address and signed up for a new account. The only thing the same was the postcode and photo.

Only the one photo this time, shorter title and description.

Instantly "Removed".

It's a photo I took. Original ad had 5 photos, the one I just tried had only one. There's nothing suspect in the photo, e.g. letters, writing, a phone number, a fascist slogan, a dildo etc.

I'm currently waiting to be connected to a "live chat representative". Apparently, they'll be with me "shortly".

The only commonality seems to be the item itself e.g. the phrase "Rega RP3 Turntable".

This is beginning to remind me of the girl on the Jason Manfield show who, when asked what she was doing this weekend by Jason, replied:

"I've got some toast with a pattern on it that looks like the face of Jesus. I keep putting it on eBay and they keep taking it off. I think I'll be doing that all weekend"

Now I wonder what would happen if I placed a paid (e.g. featured) ad.

A friend of mine listed a drone on ebay, and it was always removed. After getting to the bottom of it, OFCOM had told ebay to take the listing down. I can't believe OFCOM don't have anything better to do..

Agnes J: Hello my name is Agnes, can you explain in detail how I can help you today?

Agnes J: Thank you for remaining patient. Im sorry the chat was a little delayed in starting.

You: No worries. Can you say what the problem is with the ads I posted, which were removed? I can't see how they breach any rules. Thanks.

Agnes J: Hello Mark,

Agnes J: Of course. Would you mind waiting for a few minutes whilst I look into this for you?

You: No problem, thank you

Agnes J: Thank you.

Agnes J: Thank you for waiting.

Agnes J: I have looked into your account and can confirm that your access to the site has been restricted.

Agnes J: We believe that the adherence to posting rules is crucial and will restrict users when our policies are not followed.

Agnes J: We reserve the right to remove ads and restrict user access in accordance with our terms and conditions: http://www.gumtree.com/disclaimer.html

Agnes J: From my end I cannot see why this restriction was placed on your account as I do not have the necessary privilege. This decision is final and not open to further consideration, any future correspondence will not be answered.

Basically, f*** off. The same response others have got.

OK, Gumtree is out of the question then. Never mind.

Thought I'd try "shpock" since it's been advertised on TV and seems to be an alternative.

It doesn't even, er, work. Broken links, the confirmation sequence is broken, can't use it.

It's about time someone serious challenged eBay with a similar offering, but first 3 ads free then £1 per ad or something like that. Someone who can actually program things that work rather than outsourcing them (the incorrect grammar on the Shpock site is a big clue to that).

I see an opportunity :)

Thought I'd try "shpock" since it's been advertised on TV and seems to be an alternative.

It doesn't even, er, work. Broken links, the confirmation sequence is broken, can't use it.

It's about time someone serious challenged eBay with a similar offering, but first 3 ads free then £1 per ad or something like that. Someone who can actually program things that work rather than outsourcing them (the incorrect grammar on the Shpock site is a big clue to that).

I see an opportunity :)

Shpock is crap...I kept on getting alerts even though I deleted the app...

Shpock is crap...I kept on getting alerts even though I deleted the app...

I've got the registration email now. It's very obvious that it was put together by someone for whom English is not their first language. And the site doesn't work properly. Oh dear.

All I've tried to do here is to list something for sale online, and I've spent hours on it.

There really is a huge opportunity to knock eBay off a pedestal here which gives me food for thought. I'd considered this before, but with eBay's reputation going down the toilet this could be the right time.

What a pity Mark. I would have bought that turntable, except I already have the slightly older model. :blink:

Never tried Gumtree. Will anyone know why the advert was removed?

Incidentally I bought my Rega 3 from EBay. The bloke was only ten miles up the road, so I went round with cash. He had small children, so his affair with vinyl was over. :wacko:

I have had paid for ads removed, but they tend to give them more attention and apologise or refunds issued...it is a real pain .. I think there software is cr ap and they do not want to read through every removed ad to confirm there is nothing wrong so just send generic replies to their customers about T & C`s...

Did you have your phone number in the main heading..thats a no no?

I use Gumtree but do not like it.

I don't get Gumtree either. They've made it impossible for individuals to post ads, but if you actually try to find something to buy on there, the site is swamped with completely-obvious, repetitive, spam postings from commercial sellers which they do nothing about and which make it impossible to actually find real items for sale. It's a pretty straight-forward concept -- all that eBay is doing here is creating a knock-off of Craigslist, but the site is a complete waste of time.

I think Gumtree is just another example of where one of the big Silicon Valley internet firms has decided to kill off an entire category in order to make sure that no one else uses the space as a platform from which to create a rival. They won't actually make a workable business out of it, but they put in just enough money to kill off any potential competitors. Google does this all the time. They make an announcement about a new product (which is given away for free), undermine any emerging entrants or established providers who were charging a small fee, then just let it all die from underinvestment after a year or so.

I tried to use Gumtree to sell an IKEA wardrobe a couple of years ago. The posting kept being removed by Gumtree.

It turned out that because the wardrobe had "sliding doors" gum tree would not allow it in the furniture section, insisting it was a film / DVD.

I gave up.

I use a facebook local selling group for flogging run of the mill stuff.

Normally they are called For sale, free or wanted in xxxx

Someone will come round and pick it up the same day for cash. No paypal, fees or any of that rubbish.

I would still use ebay for something really obscure, but for tellys, DVDs, kids clothes etc its great.

I tried to use Gumtree to sell an IKEA wardrobe a couple of years ago. The posting kept being removed by Gumtree.

It turned out that because the wardrobe had "sliding doors" gum tree would not allow it in the furniture section, insisting it was a film / DVD.

I gave up.

Was there anybody dead in it? :wacko::wacko:

Could be against their rules?

I don't get Gumtree either. They've made it impossible for individuals to post ads, but if you actually try to find something to buy on there, the site is swamped with completely-obvious, repetitive, spam postings from commercial sellers which they do nothing about and which make it impossible to actually find real items for sale. It's a pretty straight-forward concept -- all that eBay is doing here is creating a knock-off of Craigslist, but the site is a complete waste of time.

I think Gumtree is just another example of where one of the big Silicon Valley internet firms has decided to kill off an entire category in order to make sure that no one else uses the space as a platform from which to create a rival. They won't actually make a workable business out of it, but they put in just enough money to kill off any potential competitors. Google does this all the time. They make an announcement about a new product (which is given away for free), undermine any emerging entrants or established providers who were charging a small fee, then just let it all die from underinvestment after a year or so.

I think this is probably right. There's just enough on there in each category to make the site 'credible' to potential buyers and that's all. Everything else is rejected so as to push the user to eBay instead. The "customer service" is only extended to paying customers.

Which is ironic really since there aren't many ads in the category I was posting to, and so there would be no point in paying for "featured" status anyway.

I did get it listed on Preloved.

I have had one enquiry so far. From Denmark. Probably from the hi-fi website ad.

Box weighs 7.2KG. Platter is glass, needs insuring.

UPS and Parcelforce = both £70

DHL = £120

I don't think that's going to be happening.