House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Is This Peak Of Insanity? - Anheuser-Busch Inbev Explores $280Bn Mega Deal For Sabmiller

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/11868187/AB-InBev-to-make-offer-for-SABMiller.html

Shares in SABMiller leapt by as much as 20pc after the brewer confirmed rival beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev intends to make an offer for the company in what could be the biggest deal of the year.

The combination of the world's largest and second-largest brewers would create a beer behemoth that would rank as one of the ten biggest listed companies in the world by market cap - larger even than oil giant Royal Dutch Shell, HSBC and British American Tobacco, which are the three largest companies on the FTSE.

SABMiller, home to Peroni and Grolsch, is the second-biggest beer producer in the world with a number of premium labels in its portfolio and a dominant position in the African market. A tie up between SAB and AB InBev could create a new brewing giant worth $280bn (£182bn).

Does this indicate that we are near the bubble peak? The only option for growth in alcohol production is now to take over your rival?

Do any of them brew anything drinkable?

(Sorry, quality of pint more important to me than economics in this case.)

I was thinking the same. Been ages since I drank any of these branded lagers. There really is no difference, imo, apart from the fancy labels.

Can't see this going through without significant divestment from both businesses. I think it's Sab they really want, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the 'miller' part divested straight away. It would recoup some investment straight away too.

I was thinking the same. Been ages since I drank any of these branded lagers. There really is no difference, imo, apart from the fancy labels.

Not sure about that. Peroni is a nice tipple. Pricey though.

Sorry. Can't agree. Best of a bad bunch maybe - nothing personal. :D

Climate-sensitive. When I lived in Italy, I found I didn't care much for real ale, but a peroni went down nicely. Back in Blighty and I'm back to (what I regard as) normal: lager is bland, while a good real ale is a Drink.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/11868187/AB-InBev-to-make-offer-for-SABMiller.html

Does this indicate that we are near the bubble peak? The only option for growth in alcohol production is now to take over your rival?

It hints at someone swashbuckling a bit. Commonly associated with empire-building. Possibly they weren't entirely sober?

Can't see this going through without significant divestment from both businesses. I think it's Sab they really want, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the 'miller' part divested straight away. It would recoup some investment straight away too.

The theory is that they'll have to divest some pretty big brands, probably Miller as you say (to avoid monopoly issues with Budweiser), and possibly one of the big European brands too.

Alot of those beers are simply wrong.

Coors/Coors light is owned by Molson Coors Global, as is Blue moon, the joint venture with Miller in the US doesn't mean they own half those brands

Grolsch is a licensed brand (I can't remember who actually owns it though)

Similar with Corona.It's owned by mondelo (it does the rounds for who has the distribution rights, was molson coors last year. Inbev this year)

Edited by thombleached