House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renewed Investor

Virgin Media Broadband

So we had 20MB Broadband with Virgin for a couple of years and finally decided to upgrade since we use the Internet a lot more than we used to. Called them up and decided to drop the XL TV package from our subscription and just get the basic but up the Broadband to 152MB.

Now under the 20MB package we were averaging around 12MB download and so when we upgraded to 152MB we were expecting a huge jump in speed. Assuming we got 60% of the quoted speed like we did with the 20MB package we should be averaging 91.2MB download speed. Guess what though? Our speed has dropped dramatically since paying for the upgrade, getting the new box in and activating it. Our average speed now is 1.9MB!

Virgin have sent a technician out to look at our set up and he confirmed that I had set it all up correctly and that the problem must be on their end. Despite this though Virgin are still claiming that everything is fine on their end and that it is me who has done something wrong. Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm furious about the situation and Virgin don't seem to give a damn.

You may have been on an old segment of the network, DOCSIS 1 I think, the upgrade would have moved you to DOCSIS 3.

The two most common causes are failing power levels and congestion. That would however be very severe congestion.

Low power levels can cause intermittent/poor speeds and drop-outs though an engineer should have spotted that since it's a common cause of this sort of problem.

The change of modem/hub may also be responsible. It could be faulty. It could also be that your Wi-Fi frequency is overlapping with a neighbour's - to test that, connect a device via Ethernet, not wireless, and try the test again.

Does the speed ever rise above what you're getting, for instance, if you run a speed test very late at night is it very different to what you see during the day?

The Ookla speed test, which is the one most commonly used, doesn't detect congestion, but this one can hint at it:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

If the "burst" speed is significantly higher then this tends to indicate congestion.

If not, it could well be something else.

I'd suggest posting a few speed test results on the forum on VM's own website explaining your "upgrade" which may well have an engineer sent out to sort out whatever the problem is.

152mbit must be fibre so that doesn't make much sense.

By the way, in October Virgin are upgrading their infrastructure which means massive improvements in download speed. For example, if you were on their 50mbit package, this will increase to 100mbit from October for no extra charge.

I make it my business not to give that bearded **** any of my money.

That bearded **** made me wait 3 months without an internet connection as it took them 2 months to simply send a guy round and to say "Nope, can't have fibre"

That bearded **** made me wait 3 months without an internet connection as it took them 2 months to simply send a guy round and to say "Nope, can't have fibre"

I wonder what kind of deal he has for the branding? 'Virgin' media is pretty much VC owned as I understand it and the infrastructure is (again, probably oversimplifying) managed/maintained by Fujitsu.

Sometimes get dropouts here to speeds of 500kb :blink:

I find turning the hub and router (make sure you turn both off if you have a seperate router) off at the plug for 20 mins before rebooting seems to reset it (sometimes not to 100% but vastly better than before). Test with speedtest/torrent/usenet.

Also, remember that VM have a capping policy so if oyu are downloading heavy then you'll need to do this regularly.

VM don't have a capping policy that I know of. They have a policy of capping the speed of particular types of traffic at peak times.

My usage runs into 100s of GB/month (mainly through Netflix and torrents) and I've never encountered a cap.

VM don't have a capping policy that I know of. They have a policy of capping the speed of particular types of traffic at peak times.

My usage runs into 100s of GB/month (mainly through Netflix and torrents) and I've never encountered a cap.

Eh? - they don't have a capping policy, they have a policy of capping?

Your right in that they don't cap the amount you can download, but they do use traffic shaping on the cheaper packages - this kicks in at peak times once you breach a set download limit, after which your download speed will be limited.

I had a similar issue as the OG poster, got a high speed package but could only get 1-2Mbps. It turned out the flats I lived in had spliced cables between each flat, coming up from 1 single cable input. Virgin couldnt fix it, and their indian engineers got me to do their script procedures (check ethernet, check wifi, etc,etc) every time I called. Literally shocking service!! They also gave me a hard time to even cancel the package. and to top it off I still get emails requesting their router kit back even though I returned it using their postage labels.

I wont be using Virgin again.

It's quite easy to download something big at night. They do have a traffic shaping policy, but won't tell anyone what it is. It's better than some of the other suppliers. I've just been offered a mega upgrade with over 150 TV channels I won't watch. :blink:

It's quite easy to download something big at night. They do have a traffic shaping policy, but won't tell anyone what it is. It's better than some of the other suppliers. I've just been offered a mega upgrade with over 150 TV channels I won't watch. :blink:

I apparently got a "loyalty" upgrade to the full channel package wednesday of last week, but haven't had the TV on to check yet. They also bumped me to 160 meg broadband but I don't think the wi-fi can deal that fast and I never plug anything into the router so I don't suppose I'll ever notice the difference there either.

I apparently got a "loyalty" upgrade to the full channel package wednesday of last week, but haven't had the TV on to check yet. They also bumped me to 160 meg broadband but I don't think the wi-fi can deal that fast and I never plug anything into the router so I don't suppose I'll ever notice the difference there either.

Well I have previously downloaded completely illegal copyright infringing torrents on the internet, but I cannot confess that on the Internet. Frankly, they are films I wouldn't pay £3 for on a disk, in the bargain basement at the supermarket. If it's a good film I might splash out for the Blu-Ray, legally. I'm not watching flufy kittens all day. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Eh? - they don't have a capping policy, they have a policy of capping?

Your right in that they don't cap the amount you can download, but they do use traffic shaping on the cheaper packages - this kicks in at peak times once you breach a set download limit, after which your download speed will be limited.

I had a similar issue as the OG poster, got a high speed package but could only get 1-2Mbps. It turned out the flats I lived in had spliced cables between each flat, coming up from 1 single cable input. Virgin couldnt fix it, and their indian engineers got me to do their script procedures (check ethernet, check wifi, etc,etc) every time I called. Literally shocking service!! They also gave me a hard time to even cancel the package. and to top it off I still get emails requesting their router kit back even though I returned it using their postage labels.

I wont be using Virgin again.

There was no contradiction in my post. It was claimed (or implied) they cap the volume downloaded, they don't. They shape the traffic by capping the rate of download of particular kinds if traffic at particular times. This is not 'capping' in the commonly accepted sense of the word.

I've been on cable in one way or another for 20 years, right back to the days of Birmingham cable. Obviously it wasn't cable internet back then but I can honestly say in 20 years it's barely missed a beat. Probably a few hours of downtime at most and consistently excellent bandwidth. Very few complaints about VM from me.

Virgin Traffic Shaping Policy:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3103&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

There was no contradiction in my post. It was claimed (or implied) they cap the volume downloaded, they don't. They shape the traffic by capping the rate of download of particular kinds if traffic at particular times. This is not 'capping' in the commonly accepted sense of the word.

I've been on cable in one way or another for 20 years, right back to the days of Birmingham cable. Obviously it wasn't cable internet back then but I can honestly say in 20 years it's barely missed a beat. Probably a few hours of downtime at most and consistently excellent bandwidth. Very few complaints about VM from me.

So you agree with me that they cap speed and not volume. Cool.

So you agree with me that they cap speed and not volume. Cool.

Errr, yeah. Only We never disagreed in the first place. I've often thought there's something mentally not right on people who insist on having heated agreements with people. It's a bit weird.

I've had very few problems with Virgin. I'm on 152MB broadband which has minimal traffic-management. Good upload speed too, which I need for work.

Only issue was 2 bum routers sent when I upgraded to 152MB - I think they had a bad batch. I had to downgrade to the previous model to get stability but now it's rock-solid.

The family cane Netfilx and various devices alongside my work and there's no noticeable slowdown.

Errr, yeah. Only We never disagreed in the first place. I've often thought there's something mentally not right on people who insist on having heated agreements with people. It's a bit weird.

Haha I like that, heated agreements! And yes I am mental.

Apparently I have a new router due tomorrow. I have been "upgraded. :blink: