House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Komodo Dragon Chillies - Top Notch For Spicy Food Lovers!

Just made a curry with some of these chillies, I'd bought a pack of three in Tesco earlier without really paying much attention.

I was only after I'd made and thoroughly enjoyed eating the curry that I discovered that they are the hottest chillies available from a mainstream retailer coming on at 1.4 million Scoville units.

Yes, it was a very hot curry, but these damn good chillies - a really nice and fruity hotness.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3196943/As-UK-s-hottest-chilli-pepper-Komodo-Dragon-hits-supermarkets-two-brave-volunteers-taste-themselves.html

I do like a proper chili flavour, may look out for them

But three questions arise of relevance to our readers from that daily mail article:

1. What value is their house?

2. Jess in the article, would you?

3. Will an influx of middle eastern refugees lead to hotter or milder chillies?

I do like a proper chili flavour, may look out for them

But three questions arise of relevance to our readers from that daily mail article:

1. What value is their house?

2. Jess in the article, would you?

3. Will an influx of middle eastern refugees lead to hotter or milder chillies?

Also, do the Kardashians like them? And can you buy them with benefit fraud money?

Also, do the Kardashians like them? And can you buy them with benefit fraud money?

If you remortgage your BTL to buy them, can you offset the cost against interest payments on your income tax bill, and do you still qualify for tax credits?

heres one of my oldies for you
Chilli Contest

Note: Please take time to read this slowly. If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of the third judge is even better. For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this really is.

They actually have a Chili Cook-off about the time Halloween comes around. It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the San Antonio City Park. Judge #3 was an inexperienced chili taster named Frank, who was visiting from Springfield, Illinois.

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chilicook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chiliwouldn't be all that spicy and, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy shit, what the hell is this stu! ff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. Hope it's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 - JERRYS AFTERBURNER CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 - HANKS FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI..
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back! , now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-f aced from all of the beer.

CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-LB woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 SANDIES LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.

CHILI # 6 - JOHNS VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

------------------------------

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I shit on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone.

CHILI # 7 -PATS SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- A ! mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can ofchili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt's covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 - RANDYS TOENAIL CURLING CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chi! li. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 - No Report

Not had them but I find the hottest chilis can add a slightly acrid bitter flavour ?

I find birds eye just right. Only need to use a few and they get a really nice level of spice for me.

Not had them but I find the hottest chilis can add a slightly acrid bitter flavour ?

I find birds eye just right. Only need to use a few and they get a really nice level of spice for me.

Found the reverse to be honest, the hotter ones tend to have a far fruitier flavour.

Will see if I can find some of these in the local Tescos, shouldn't be difficult as the one on the Old Kent road has all manner of bizzar stuff in it.

My Goodness! What a culinary challenge. Must try these things.... :o

Found the reverse to be honest, the hotter ones tend to have a far fruitier flavour.

Will see if I can find some of these in the local Tescos, shouldn't be difficult as the one on the Old Kent road has all manner of bizzar stuff in it.

I agree. Scotch bonnets are the sweet spot for me. Birds eyes just add heat I find, not so much flavour.

I find Naga's a little too much for me, I'm sure there's flavour there but it's definitely not as pronounced as a scotch bonnet and you can't taste much after a few mouthfuls anyway.

I agree. Scotch bonnets are the sweet spot for me. Birds eyes just add heat I find, not so much flavour.

I find Naga's a little too much for me, I'm sure there's flavour there but it's definitely not as pronounced as a scotch bonnet and you can't taste much after a few mouthfuls anyway.

Yeah, really don't get the fuss about birds eye chillies, don't find them that hot (comparatively) but they just don't taste that nice (very peppery) and the texture when cooked isn't nice either.

I've had a few Naga sauces where you can taste the slight sweetness, but the heat kicks in too soon and it's a little lost.

Chilli Contest

CHILI # 5 SANDIES LEGAL LIP REMOVER...

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick.

Very amusing, but that comment suggests the author thinks cayenne pepper hot. Which in turn seems to cast the whole thing in a rather silly light.

[edit to add] Another shred of supporting evidence: jalapeno at #2. Why would he mention that if there was any suggestion that the contest was one of machismo?

Until a few years ago, birds eyes seemed to be the hottest widely available in the shops. Possibly less so in more "ethnic" areas.

Nowadays bonnets and habaneros (the milder end of the naga family) are the hottest I encounter, although they seem a lot more variable than the birds eyes, and all the real heat is in the seeds. I agree about the nicer flavour than the bitterness of the birds eyes. Bonnets are best for a good meal; birds eyes are the bitter medicine to chew raw and sweat out a cold - when they have a somewhat longer-lasting effect than menthol sweets.

Guest eight

Some friends and I went through a phase of experimenting with increasing hot chillis a while back. In the end we had to knock it on the head when any normal food tasted "boring".

That is a fair point, but these were actually really fruity. I was very impressed. I used 3 and made about 1.2Kg of curry (2 chicken breasts about 400g, tin of tomatoes 250g, 3 potatoes, 3 carrots, 2 large mushrooms, some cumin, lentils).

Very amusing, but that comment suggests the author thinks cayenne pepper hot. Which in turn seems to cast the whole thing in a rather silly light.

[edit to add] Another shred of supporting evidence: jalapeno at #2. Why would he mention that if there was any suggestion that the contest was one of machismo?

Until a few years ago, birds eyes seemed to be the hottest widely available in the shops. Possibly less so in more "ethnic" areas.

Nowadays bonnets and habaneros (the milder end of the naga family) are the hottest I encounter, although they seem a lot more variable than the birds eyes, and all the real heat is in the seeds. I agree about the nicer flavour than the bitterness of the birds eyes. Bonnets are best for a good meal; birds eyes are the bitter medicine to chew raw and sweat out a cold - when they have a somewhat longer-lasting effect than menthol sweets.

I agree on bird eyes, they don't have a great texture and aren't that hot. I have always preferred Scotch Bonnets, but these Komodo Dragons were better.

Been trying to grow these for a year now..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Reaper

Our climate doesn't seem to be conducive, not a single Chilli yet :(

Yes it is difficult in the UK. I have had some luck with the hotter ones indoors and a south facing windows, but this year was particularly bad for my outdoor crop. It was too cold at night early on in the year and the frost stunted them, and then more recently it has been too wet.

In previous years, I have definitely had more success outside. Last time we had hosepipe bans, I had really good crop (of course still watered the chillies with a watering can).

Yes it is difficult in the UK. I have had some luck with the hotter ones indoors and a south facing windows, but this year was particularly bad for my outdoor crop. It was too cold at night early on in the year and the frost stunted them, and then more recently it has been too wet.

I'm thinking outdoors under glass is the way forward.. :)

I'm thinking outdoors under glass is the way forward.. :)

I'd love a greenhouse, but my wife has these damn things called flower beds all over the place. Obviously we just need a major depression or war and I can insist it is all turned over to crops.