House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spacedin

Right To Buy - Yes Or No

I have had a difficult time in the PRS and was very happy to get a coucil flat about five years ago.

The place needed abit of work which was not the end of the world but it's led to a bit of a love/hate relationshio with me and the flat.

So now that I almost have the right to buy what do you think I should do. I will get it in May next year. I'm not sure I want to live here so maybe it's time to leave.

I only work part time and I claim tax credits due to a disability. I know that may pour scorn on me but currently it's the best situation for me. I am obviously concerned about the idea of moving somewhere else and because of my employment situation I'm unlikey to get more than a 30k mortgage so the right to buy is probably the only real option for me unless my circumstances change.

I know this sounds silly but I'd really like to get a dog and I think this would be good for my health but it's completely against the rules here even as a leaseholder. Do you think I should just wait until the house prices crash or take this deal next year and just try and work with it. The right to buy is effectively like having a mini house price crash so it's a bit of a no brainer I guess. I'm also concerned about possible maintence costs. I've tried swapping the place but have found it an utter nightmare. It's ironic that even though I had plenty of problems in the PRS having a pet was generally jstust a case of paying a pet deposit whereas the council completely outlaw it.

Lastly I'm torn about how ethical the right to buy is anyway. I've thought about moving closer to family where the prices are about a fifth cheaper but then there's always that unsettling thing of having to change work and get a bigger mortgage.

You mean even if you buy it under RTB you can't have pets??

YesYes. I could try and chance it but I'm told if other people in the block complain then it could end up in court and I might even have a charge put against the property which would make it hard to sell were I to want to in the future. Not that it would reach that point or that ai'd want to cash in on the opportunity.

The idea that the flat could end up with a btl landlord in the future were I to sell in 5+ years makes me reluctant to buy the thing if I ultimately don't want to live here for ages.

I have had a difficult time in the PRS and was very happy to get a coucil flat about five years ago.

The place needed abit of work which was not the end of the world but it's led to a bit of a love/hate relationshio with me and the flat.

So now that I almost have the right to buy what do you think I should do. I will get it in May next year. I'm not sure I want to live here so maybe it's time to leave.

I only work part time and I claim tax credits due to a disability. I know that may pour scorn on me but currently it's the best situation for me. I am obviously concerned about the idea of moving somewhere else and because of my employment situation I'm unlikey to get more than a 30k mortgage so the right to buy is probably the only real option for me unless my circumstances change.

I know this sounds silly but I'd really like to get a dog and I think this would be good for my health but it's completely against the rules here even as a leaseholder. Do you think I should just wait until the house prices crash or take this deal next year and just try and work with it. The right to buy is effectively like having a mini house price crash so it's a bit of a no brainer I guess. I'm also concerned about possible maintence costs. I've tried swapping the place but have found it an utter nightmare. It's ironic that even though I had plenty of problems in the PRS having a pet was generally jstust a case of paying a pet deposit whereas the council completely outlaw it.

Lastly I'm torn about how ethical the right to buy is anyway. I've thought about moving closer to family where the prices are about a fifth cheaper but then there's always that unsettling thing of having to change work and get a bigger mortgage.

depends on your situation.

in my mum's case it was a get-out-of-jail-free card.Violent+stalking ex hubby(my dad) to be precise....so it was a total no brainer.For us it was a means of escape....once the 5 years was up,we were gone.

as for getting a dog, why not just ask the council nicely.

Well I think you've talked yourself out of buying it as:

1) You don't want to live there

2) You can't have the things that you believe would make you happy there

Life's too short. If you can't get another council house, then at least in the PRS you can live where you'd like and have pets.

Life's too short. If you can't get another council house, then at least in the PRS you can live where you'd like and have pets.

Yes I know what you mean. I just can't help thinking that dog is going to end up costing me a ******ing fortune. My rent is 330 a month for a one bed in the South East and the mortgage would cost about 100 pound a month. It might be best to just be polite to neighbours , try and be nice to the council and say screw them if it gets ugly that said I really wouldn't want to piss off my neighbourrs.

My mother made me laugh, her solution is that I should contact the local dog shelter to take dogs for walks and stay where I am.

When you were a private sector tenant you were paying rent which encompassed land production cost of zero + real costs + markup. i.e. you basically paid an extra land value tax - but collected by the landlord for doing sod all rather than taxpayers for funding all the stuff that gives property value. As a social tenant you're on average paying twice as much net tax as private sector related benefit claimants, making social housing a net break even which pays for itself.

So I wouldn't spend a long time pondering the ethics of improving your own situation. I don't know what the discount is but it might be higher than you expect prices to fall in your time window, with less risk. Lots of things aren't fair but right now it is what it is.

like i said, depends on the situation.

in my case, we didn't really want to live where we did either,but had to make do for a bit.

the end justified the means.

depends on your situation.

in my mum's case it was a get-out-of-jail-free card.Violent+stalking ex hubby(my dad) to be precise....so it was a total no brainer.For us it was a means of escape....once the 5 years was up,we were gone.

as for getting a dog, why not just ask the council nicely.

Yes this is what it's all about. I may be quite left wing politically but it's about taking control of your life. I find it hard because I know people have a lot of problems and social housing is a real lifeline for some people. Maybe I shouldn't beat myself up about it, the situation is more a result of public policy rather than my actions. I am lucky. I hvlave control of my faculties even with the disability and haven't lost complete control. I know a person with bipolar, it's very sad. The last place on Earth they should be is the private rented sector. Frankly I think pay day loans and gambling are a massive little spoken about problem which make this situation 100x worse.

Since it's a flat, you will probably end up with a leashold. If it was a house, it would probably be much more wothy it.

Don't buy a flat as they'll bill you for the communal repairs when they're needed. And they will be needed.

And then when they redo all the council flats with new bathrooms and kitchens every 5 years you'll be sat there wondering how you'll ever afford a new kitchen.

Don't buy a flat as they'll bill you for the communal repairs when they're needed. And they will be needed.

And then when they redo all the council flats with new bathrooms and kitchens every 5 years you'll be sat there wondering how you'll ever afford a new kitchen.

Aye, there's that too. :(

Very good advice. There are numerous horror stories out there.

You mean even if you buy it under RTB you can't have pets??

This shouldn't come as any surprise.

A lot of flats state you can't have cats or dogs, as they could cause a nuisance to others. Seems a very fair and sensible rule.

This shouldn't come as any surprise.

A lot of flats state you can't have cats or dogs, as they could cause a nuisance to others. Seems a very fair and sensible rule.

What about a horse?

Yes this is what it's all about. I may be quite left wing politically but it's about taking control of your life. I find it hard because I know people have a lot of problems and social housing is a real lifeline for some people. Maybe I shouldn't beat myself up about it, the situation is more a result of public policy rather than my actions. I am lucky. I hvlave control of my faculties even with the disability and haven't lost complete control. I know a person with bipolar, it's very sad. The last place on Earth they should be is the private rented sector. Frankly I think pay day loans and gambling are a massive little spoken about problem which make this situation 100x worse.

As Oracle said, depends on your situation and priorities. Similar history for my mum (a refuge and kindness from friends/strangers rather than a council house as it goes). Life isn't only what you make of it; sometimes you have to grab opportunities and help when it's available or offered. It's then up to you what you do later with any gain or passing forward support to others. I don't know anything about rules or costs.

Yes buying a leasehold flat is out of the question.

Even in my case (living in a free hold council bungalow) it`s a bit iffy.

I`m 55 so if I can pay my rent for 10 or 11 years I`m home free. (should be able to pay my rent from the state pension if the wife pays half. if not....benefits)

Who are you going to leave your flat to?

Have you seen 15 Stories High?

I've seen 15 hands high. :blink:

Horse in a lift

Do you know, that was the scene I was thinking of, but could not name the film, which I have somewhere on DVD. :blink:

Yes buying a leasehold flat is out of the question.

Even in my case (living in a free hold council bungalow) it`s a bit iffy.

I`m 55 so if I can pay my rent for 10 or 11 years I`m home free. (should be able to pay my rent from the state pension if the wife pays half. if not....benefits)

Who are you going to leave your flat to?

When I die? I'll probably just leave it to my siblings but that's a long way off. I hope.

I like the idea of owning as it gives me a bit more security. That said a secure tenancy is like gold dust these days, so I should be happy with that.

I'm told that by law the council must give me a breakdown of any planned works within 5 years of purchasing so I'll get some idea as to how expensive it's going to be.

Sadly the council are redeveloping the estate here, cladding buildings (made worse because my flat was built in the 50s or 60s) and most notably building a local district heating system which I'm told will cost about 10 million at least. Thus the writing is kinda on the wall. :( It's shit because things are fine as they are at the moment.