House Price Crash Forum
Boughtin95

Santander 123 Account - Monthly Charge To More Than Double

According to the BBC website:

Santander - the biggest gainer last year of customers switching current accounts - has confirmed that it is to increase charges on one of its most popular accounts. From 11 January, it will charge £5 a month, instead of £2 a month, for its 123 current account. The announcement comes just a few weeks ahead of the initial findings from the competition authorities on the current account market in the UK.

Aren't the banks making enough profit yet?

I wonder if that will be for all customers. I have this account but haven't been told about it yet. Still if you keep £20000 in it, it is likely to be worth keeping (although I will be double checking what the new net rate will be).

If you have about £4-5k in one, that will really eat into (and possibly cancel out) the interest paid, as the cash back element on energy/council tax etc. doesn't cover the current £2 a month fee.

Time to look for another option I think.

Yep, received the letter telling me that the fee will be increasing come the new year.

The interest after basic tax, the fee and keeping £20000 in there all of the time, will now come in at about 2.1%. So worth keeping but there may be some better options out there for some people.

Yep, received the letter telling me that the fee will be increasing come the new year.

The interest after basic tax, the fee and keeping £20000 in there all of the time, will now come in at about 2.1%. So worth keeping but there may be some better options out there for some people.

There's a generous lift to how much we can earn tax-free next year, so that should bump the percentage up a bit.

With TSB myself, have a little over 2k in the account and get 5% interest on that + 5% cash back on the first 100 quid of contactless payments per month + 5% interest on 250 quid per month I put into a regular saver.

The 123 Santander account looks a bit inferior in comparison even if it were free it would still be so in my opinion.

Yes, My parter and I both have TSB accounts and we also have a jointed one. So there's £6k of saving with 5% interest. Only found out about the £5 cash back on the first £100 of contactless payments last month, so have been trying to get that this month (although I hate contactless paying). We will see how well that goes!

Received the letter, also the Santander 123 credit card fee is increasing by £1/month, from £24 yearly to £3 monthly, and interest rate shooting up.

Depends on your spending whether you'll get enough cashback to cover the fee.