House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thombleached

Buying A Used Mr2

Seen an MR2 advertised locally (no I'm not a hairdresser just after a fun summer car for next year and felt end of the season was best time to buy one). It's unusually cheap for an 02 reg (£800)

Seems like it needs a new O2 sensor (no idea how long it's gone for so maybe problems with the cat?)

Anything I should be watching out for for those that have a bought a similar age used car? Not been in the game of buying cars for quite a while now.

I shall be going armed with my OBD reader but that's as far as my checks can go really. What should I be checking (ignoring tyres, blowing smoke, checking for oil leaks on the drive etc). Any telltale signs of a lemon?

Guest eight

It's unusually cheap for an 02 reg (£800)

Is that unusually cheap? At the end of the day, it's the neck end of fourteen years old.

Seen an MR2 advertised locally (no I'm not a hairdresser just after a fun summer car for next year and felt end of the season was best time to buy one). It's unusually cheap for an 02 reg (£800)

Seems like it needs a new O2 sensor (no idea how long it's gone for so maybe problems with the cat?)

Anything I should be watching out for for those that have a bought a similar age used car? Not been in the game of buying cars for quite a while now.

I shall be going armed with my OBD reader but that's as far as my checks can go really. What should I be checking (ignoring tyres, blowing smoke, checking for oil leaks on the drive etc). Any telltale signs of a lemon?

Check if it`s a UK car ,after market fog light the big tell tale sign

Is that unusually cheap? At the end of the day, it's the neck end of fourteen years old.

No idea really, seem to go £1500 ish on auto trader for that sort of age and 10-15k miles a year. I've no idea of the mileage at the moment, but high mileage doesn't really bother me much

Will the VIN tell me if it's a jap import?

It's usuallly little hints like the dashboard being all in Japanese, and the FM radio tuned to the wrong frequencies. As mentioned, a rear fog light is not required in Japan. Also watch out for "hello Kitty" air fresheners. I reckon your first service will cost as much as the car. You might need brakes or exhaust parts. Check for no rust. Still, nice cars, should you take up hairdressing. :blink:

There'll be a sticker on the inside of the drivers sun visor in Japanese if it's imported.

Edit to say: check radio. It may have/need band expander if imported.

Hmm. You know about the pre-cat problems, right?

If there is a cat problem there might be an oil consumption problem - ask the vendor. First of all, ask them about what oil they use to top-up - you're not really interested in the oil type, more that they will acknowledge that it needs topping up - the engine shouldn't be using-up oil as designed (as opposed to, say, Alfa Romeo).

Soft-top should be okay, but try to gauge if the carpets have been damp (won't actually be damp at the moment due to weather... Has it been garaged?)

Oh, and the thing about imports is only that it affects insurance - check with you insurer what they think. Other than that I'd be content with an import (lots of detail changes on trim, etc, but surely WYSIWYG)

It wont be japanese if its the roadster mk3 that was the european name.

If it is called an MR-S that in the japanese market model name.

I've had 2 mk2's both jap imports a 2.0 Gltd and a 2.0 twincam turbo.

The mk2 is probably the best model but they are very old now and you would be buying trouble.

Don't know much about the mk3 i think they do suffer from catalytic converter problems.

Go on IMOC forum and read the mk3 section there are also buyers guides on there.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=82&sid=a214d2260b1a7b8c157e06a5e1124b1f

Disintegration of the ceramic precat, and the resultant damage caused by the ingestion of fragments by the engine, is a potentially serious issue for early MR2s, I understand.

Also, rotting subframes are another biggie- there are aftermarket suppliers.

The precats can be partially inspected by removing a sensor, I think I read somewhere, and the subframe can be inspected by getting under it. Plenty of pics covering both these issues online so have a look.

There is also the 1.8 VVT-i oil consumption issue, which is seperate to the precat problem (although both may manifest themselves in oil consumption). I wouldn't regard an engine replacement in the history as a bad thing in the circumstances, but if the precats were not dealt with the same problem could happen again.

Disintegration of the ceramic precat, and the resultant damage caused by the ingestion of fragments by the engine, is a potentially serious issue for early MR2s, I understand.

Also, rotting subframes are another biggie- there are aftermarket suppliers.

The precats can be partially inspected by removing a sensor, I think I read somewhere, and the subframe can be inspected by getting under it. Plenty of pics covering both these issues online so have a look.

There is also the 1.8 VVT-i oil consumption issue, which is seperate to the precat problem (although both may manifest themselves in oil consumption). I wouldn't regard an engine replacement in the history as a bad thing in the circumstances, but if the precats were not dealt with the same problem could happen again.

Much appreciated (and to everyone also). I'll do some digging and see if I can inspect on the drive for the precat and subframe

There'll be a sticker on the inside of the drivers sun visor in Japanese if it's imported.

Edit to say: check radio. It may have/need band expander if imported.

Hang on. Why's everyone getting worked up about japenese imports for. Whats the issue with them. I didnt get the memo. Is there something I should worry about.**

** my landcruiser is a jap import.

Hang on. Why's everyone getting worked up about japenese imports for. Whats the issue with them. I didnt get the memo. Is there something I should worry about.**

** my landcruiser is a jap import.

So is mine. I've run it for ten years without any problem. 200,000k on the clock. ?

Edit to say: VX Station Wagon.

Nothing wrong with jap imports i've had many of them, the OP asked how he could tell if the car he was going to view was an import or a UK car.

The thing with jap imports is insurance it's usually loaded for no apparent reason. Also you have to retro fit a rear fog light and some side repeaters can be mounted foward of the arches and so additional side repeaters may need to be fitted further up the wing for UK MOT. Odometer reading in KMH etc

Obviously all this should have been done if an import has been in the uk a few years and gone through uk mot's but a few slip through the net.

You usually get better spec on an import but not always and some vehicles have northern europe specific suspension set up for our potholed roads, japanese cars roll on billiard table smooth tarmac.

So is mine. I've run it for ten years without any problem. 200,000k on the clock. ?

Edit to say: VX Station Wagon.

Not had an ounce of trouble ith mine. 5 years in. 5 door ninety series, accidently bought on ebay. Best **** up ever. Still covert an 80 series 4.2 TD. (Yours I guess).

But still, why does there seem to be all this concern over the MR 2 being an import??.

Edit:ok. just seen other reply.

Not had an ounce of trouble ith mine. 5 years in. 5 door ninety series, accidently bought on ebay. Best **** up ever. Still covert an 80 series 4.2 TD. (Yours I guess).

But still, why does there seem to be all this concern over the MR 2 being an import??.

Toyota are very good at finding parts. They come from Belgium sometimes.

Yes mine is the 4.2 TD with lifted suspension. I bought it on eBay fro £4k in June 2005 and flew up to Liverpool to collect it. No problems with insurance. Around £250 for the year fully comp. may be selling in a few months. ? Getting in is not doing my bad shoulder any good.

This thread has taken a good turn. I've been ogling old school Landcruisers recently.

Will they fit in a standard size garage?